Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David De La Torre
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Cleveland, OH Utilities

David De La Torre
Pro Member
  • Investor
Posted Aug 12 2024, 20:43

Hello Fellow Investors!

I plan on renting out my investment property in Cleveland, Ohio as a long term rental. I would like the system set up where the tenant pays for the utilities. After speaking with someone who is familiar with this market, I learned that you could have the tenant pay all the utilities except the water, the landlord would have pay for that. 

I wanted to know if this is something that is required all throughout Ohio or if this varies by city or property management company. All information and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

How have you set up your system? 

User Stats

Votes
Ken Livingston
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 12 2024, 22:35

I have a rental in Columbus that is run through a PM company. The water is billed to me and then the cost is passed on to the tenant. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 13 2024, 05:21

@David De La Torre it is common for electric and gas to be turned off when a tenant moves in, forcing them to turn it on in their name. 

OR requiring proof from them that they've put them in their name to get the keys for MoveIn.

Water can be a challenge as some cities keep it in the owner's name only. In that case, the water bill comes to the landlord, who may pay it, and then is billed to the tenant. If the tenant doesn't pay though, the landlord's only solution may be to start eviction.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 13 2024, 05:48
Quote from @David De La Torre:

Hello Fellow Investors!

I plan on renting out my investment property in Cleveland, Ohio as a long term rental. I would like the system set up where the tenant pays for the utilities. After speaking with someone who is familiar with this market, I learned that you could have the tenant pay all the utilities except the water, the landlord would have pay for that. 

I wanted to know if this is something that is required all throughout Ohio or if this varies by city or property management company. All information and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Hey so it's

water/sewer - put in owners name and you can back bill the tenants.

electric / gas - this can go right into the tenants name.

trash - this is included in the taxes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 13 2024, 06:32
Quote from @David De La Torre:

Hello Fellow Investors!

INCORRECT, tenants pay all, UNLESS it's a MF, then owner pays, I have extensive experience there happy to help you will any questions you may have 

User Stats

Votes
Gladimir Lobo
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 14 2024, 08:01

Hey there, the tenant can be responsible for all utilities in a single-family home. The water bill can be transferred to the tenant's name. Water charges are lienable and will remain with the property if the tenant fails to pay.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Krusinski
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 15 2024, 04:54

Hi David! Is this home a MF or SF? If SF, I have my tenats pay for water and sewer. If MF, yes you will have to pay for water and sewer! 

21 Hill Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 28 2024, 07:22

Great info on here!  Yes this is common to have the tenant's put the gas and electric in their names and to have them give you the account numbers before the move in.  Also, I've seen several property management companies in the area do a $75+ water / sewer surcharge per month, depending on how many people are living at the property, it can go up $25 or so. 

Here's an article I found with some good info on this topic

https://propertymanagementoh.com/how-to-handle-utilities-on-...

New Forest Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Paula Reavlin
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 30 2024, 14:21

I have a triplex in Shaker Heights that has two units sharing the electric meter - i want to split it and am being told it is not possible in CLeveland.  I also want to split the water meters. The sewer bill is high and wondering if that can be split as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 31 2024, 05:00
Quote from @Paula Reavlin:

I have a triplex in Shaker Heights that has two units sharing the electric meter - i want to split it and am being told it is not possible in CLeveland.  I also want to split the water meters. The sewer bill is high and wondering if that can be split as well.  

In order to split the electric you would need to rezone the home to a 3-family and Shaker is probably the toughest place to get that done in Cleveland. I would leave it as is and charge a flat utility fee on the lease.