Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jason Kornreich
Votes |
Section 8 investor having issues expanding territory.

Jason Kornreich
Posted

New to the site.  Been working with someone to help me find properties for Section 8 in Cleveland. Prices are getting a bit high and looking for other decent cities to invest in.  Prefer Eastern part of the country.   Good landlord states as well.    

My issue is, what city and need a local team to help as well, (Realtor and handyman/property manager).   

Any input would be good.  

User Stats

Votes
Kerlous Tadres
Pro Member
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Jason Kornreich:

New to the site.  Been working with someone to help me find properties for Section 8 in Cleveland. Prices are getting a bit high and looking for other decent cities to invest in.  Prefer Eastern part of the country.   Good landlord states as well.    

My issue is, what city and need a local team to help as well, (Realtor and handyman/property manager).   

Any input would be good.  

Cleveland is one of the better areas for section 8 rentals. If that area does not workout for you, then I would consider investing in Toledo!

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hi, yes, my clients will agree along with myself that Ohio and a lot of cities and suburbs like Cleveland, Akron, Canton ect there are a lot of areas -section 8. I service people in Ohio for investing into real estate and they are section 8. As far as service providers, as I always tell my client's/everyone to get referrals that is great but, do your own homework and research all of your professionals regarding all you real estate needs since, you have to pay them and speak to them about all your expectations regarding your real estate needs for your personal properties. Best wishes and thanks for reaching out!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied

Hey Jason, we do a lot of S8 in Detroit. I personally own 12-doors there, three of which are rented to S8 tenants.

Worth a look!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Poeppelmeier
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Maumee, OH
Replied

Just know about Section 8 here in Toledo... We have a city ordinance that makes income source a protected class, aka you can't say No Section 8, but it also means you can't say ONLY Section 8. IMO, Section 8 is a solid option here as they have closed the waiting list for a voucher, but you have to have a PM that knows how to navigate it. Just like the Due On Sale clause, is a bank going to chase you down because the property is now in an LLC? Not likely, but possible. Same thing here with discriminating against a private pay applicant because they're not government guaranteed income. Just something to think about. *Here's my disclaimer I'm not an attorney, yada yada yada*

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Agent
Property Manager
#2 Classifieds Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Agent
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

@Jason Kornreich Detroit is great for S8.

We manage almost 100 S8 leases.

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied
I'm seeing some good potential Section 8 properties on the MLS lately in the Cleveland market, it really just depends on what your price point is and the types of neighborhoods you're targeting, but I've definitely been seeing some good ones on the MLS over the last few weeks.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Janus
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Any input would be good.  

Cleveland is great for section 8.

NOTE - tenants choose where they want to live. In theory you can buy a house in St. Clair for around 15,000 but the chances someone will choose to want to live there is low. Go where the demand is and be aware of the areas.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

Any input would be good.  

There are still great deals there. I pick them up all the time. Typically, 15- 20% NET income based on cash purchases.

All the best  

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied

I'm not too familiar with Section 8 in Clevland, but if you're ever looking to expand over to PA/Pittsburgh area feel free to reach out!

We are a one stop shop for PM, sales, maintenance, etc...