Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Crum
Votes |
RAD Diversified SCAM ALERT!!!

Arthur Crum
Posted Apr 4 2024, 10:37

Hello,

I Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the RAD Diversified scandal that is currently unfolding. As of April 1, 2024, RAD Diversified (a REIT), has officially put a freeze on withdrawing any and all funds from the REIT. If I had to speculate, I would say they are facing some serious liquidity issues. Interestingly enough, I came across an article in the Philidelphia Inquirer that raised concerns about the REIT two years ago. It's pretty much spot on. Looks like your classic Ponzi scheme. It would appear good ole Dutch has been using new investor funds to pay liquidations i.e. robbing Peter to pay Paul. I guess the well has run dry.

I myself was duped into investing $5000 (unaccredited) into the fund and will now no longer be able to liquidate any portion of my shares. The URL provided above will take you to official statement that RAD has provided to the SEC. Personally, I doubt its authenticity, but that's the direct information I was provided with from Alexander Prock, as of one hour ago. I also know that RAD's accreditation with the BBB has been revoked due to the massive influx of similar complaints that have been pouring in since the official statement was released on April 1st, 2024.

I would strongly advise ALL BP members to stay far away from this scam. I highly doubt I will ever see my money again. I would sincerely hope that the SEC has begun looking into this and/or the FBI. And, by the way, Dutch Mendenhall the CEO of RAD, has been a member of the BP community now for several years so feel free to chime in bud. Below is a copy of the SEC statement. It really makes me sick that these scam artists run rampant while the SEC does absolutely nothing to combat the issues. Anyway, please feel free to do your own due diligence but it looks like we all got got.

"On April 1, 2024, the board of directors (the “Board") of RAD Diversified REIT, Inc. (the "Company”) decided, in accordance with the terms of its Share Redemption Program, to continue the temporary freeze of the Company’s redemption program. The Company will not process any pending requests that have not been redeemed as of February 1, 2024 nor will it accept any redemption requests after April 1, 2024. Pending redemption requests will remain in queue until the Company recommences the redemption program. The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program or to continue to pause the redemption program no later than July 1, 2024."

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Bennett
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Replied Apr 4 2024, 14:25

@Arthur Crum There are already a few other forum chains on RAD but why were you duped? Seems they have some liquidity issues but weren't they in their right to suspend distributions? Did you read your agreement?

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Crum
Votes |
Replied Apr 4 2024, 14:57

It appears you may know something I don't. I'm not an attorney myself but I do have one combing through the fine print of the contract at the moment. Looks like a lot of investors who were slated to receive funds on January 1st 2024 never received them and then they promptly put a lock on the "redemption program" February 1st. We shall see how things unfold but it doesn't look good.  

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Bennett
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Replied Apr 4 2024, 15:16

I am not suggesting they are running a tight ship over there but just wasn't sure where they duped the investors....Hope you get your money back and quickly. From what I see elsewhere on the boards they RAD isn't responsive which is troubling. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 4 2024, 15:54
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

It appears you may know something I don't. I'm not an attorney myself but I do have one combing through the fine print of the contract at the moment. Looks like a lot of investors who were slated to receive funds on January 1st 2024 never received them and then they promptly put a lock on the "redemption program" February 1st. We shall see how things unfold but it doesn't look good.  

just curious are you actually paying an attorney to read through the documents over a 5k investment your are certain you will never receive? .. that seems like throwing good money after bad. ?  was wondering your thought process here. I have been following this on the other thread and at first I was thinking yes liquidity issues but then someone said they were also giving 20% interest notes and that type of fixed debt can sink someone pretty fast if your doing this with rental props.

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Crum
Votes |
Replied Apr 4 2024, 16:21

Jay, my cousin is an attorney and he is simply looking at the contract for me. I dont care if its a dollar, if someone steals from me im comming for them. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 4 2024, 16:54
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Jay, my cousin is an attorney and he is simply looking at the contract for me. I dont care if its a dollar, if someone steals from me im comming for them. 

gothca I kind of figured you might have had some inside legal help.. these guys many times get away with this as the investments are so small its not financially feasible to litigate them. I hear ya on being pissed !!!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 4 2024, 17:35

@Arthur Crum

Sorry to hear this. As someone every familiar with Reg A offerings - this is not specific to Rad but anyone looking to invest in these offerings. This info is public on the sec site and what we have found to be the red flags that have been good indicators of potential future problems

1. Audited financials not being submitted

2. SEC staff action letters

3.. semi annual reports not filed

3. Qualification is required atleast once every 12 months - thus missing the qualification

If one of these is missing - not good, if multiple - even worse.

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Radke
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Apr 4 2024, 19:40

I have 25K invested. No one is answering the phones and the voice mail now sounds like an off shore answering recording. He is advertising like crazy for his upcoming seminar. Maybe us investors need to show up?? 

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Bennett
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Replied Apr 5 2024, 03:35

Has anyone actually looked at their website and staffing? Talk about nepotism!  Brent Mendanhall, director of special operations....wtf does that even mean? Dory Mendenhal VP of real estate; Molly Mendenahll Director of Real Estate....lets just give the family titles and put them on the payroll lol. I don't mean to make light of this situation because it seems a lot of people have their money locked up but there are so many red flags with this company based on the information that has been shared on these forums as well. How did they manage to grow a $250M portfolio as co-found Amy Vaughn's bio suggests off of your hard earned money?

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 5 2024, 07:32
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

AS I was thinking about this.. I would not characterize this as a scam per se.. but it appears to me to be a failed investment model.. Unless you believe the owners knew in advance that this model would not work and were doing this to just feather their nest and move on ?

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Crum
Votes |
Replied Apr 5 2024, 07:49

AS I was thinking about this.. I would not characterize this as a scam per se.. but it appears to me to be a failed investment model.. Unless you believe the owners knew in advance that this model would not work and were doing this to just feather their nest and move on ?

Jay, I think in a post-covid world people have so emboldened they think they can do whatever they want and face no legal consequences. The whole RAD situation seems eerily similar to the Ponzi scheme run by "The Cashflow King' himself, Matthew Motil who was just charged by the SEC in 2023 for stealing over $11 million. Lets not forget SBF and the entire FTX collapse and the list certainly goes on. Did they ever really intend to pay their investors back? I'm interested to hear from other investors what their thoughts are on the matter? I think it's only a matter of time before the truth is revealed.  

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 5 2024, 08:54
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Jay, I think in a post-covid world people have so emboldened they think they can do whatever they want and face no legal consequences. The whole RAD situation seems eerily similar to the Ponzi scheme run by "The Cashflow King' himself, Matthew Motil who was just charged by the SEC in 2023 for stealing over $11 million. Lets not forget SBF and the entire FTX collapse and the list certainly goes on. Did they ever really intend to pay their investors back? I'm interested to hear from other investors what their thoughts are on the matter? I think it's only a matter of time before the truth is revealed.  

I get what your saying I was employed in the late 80s by a big syndicator in SF who had over 250 different apartments  senior housing student housing shopping  MHP and i headed up land development for them.. I know they did not start out to steal or do bad things but they started robbing Peter to Pay Paul and once you go down that slope pretty tough to climb up.. they ended up in massive trouble and the partnerships were all sold off with massive loss's.. but it was not a contrived scam.. Its actually really common in my mind for real estate failures especially like these deals were you dont really have access to your money.. And your relying on 3rd party reporting.
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 5 2024, 17:29
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Hello,

I Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the RAD Diversified scandal that is currently unfolding. As of April 1, 2024, RAD Diversified (a REIT), has officially put a freeze on withdrawing any and all funds from the REIT. If I had to speculate, I would say they are facing some serious liquidity issues. Interestingly enough, I came across an article in the Philidelphia Inquirer that raised concerns about the REIT two years ago. It's pretty much spot on. Looks like your classic Ponzi scheme. It would appear good ole Dutch has been using new investor funds to pay liquidations i.e. robbing Peter to pay Paul. I guess the well has run dry.

I myself was duped into investing $5000 (unaccredited) into the fund and will now no longer be able to liquidate any portion of my shares. The URL provided above will take you to official statement that RAD has provided to the SEC. Personally, I doubt its authenticity, but that's the direct information I was provided with from Alexander Prock, as of one hour ago. I also know that RAD's accreditation with the BBB has been revoked due to the massive influx of similar complaints that have been pouring in since the official statement was released on April 1st, 2024.

I would strongly advise ALL BP members to stay far away from this scam. I highly doubt I will ever see my money again. I would sincerely hope that the SEC has begun looking into this and/or the FBI. And, by the way, Dutch Mendenhall the CEO of RAD, has been a member of the BP community now for several years so feel free to chime in bud. Below is a copy of the SEC statement. It really makes me sick that these scam artists run rampant while the SEC does absolutely nothing to combat the issues. Anyway, please feel free to do your own due diligence but it looks like we all got got.

"On April 1, 2024, the board of directors (the “Board") of RAD Diversified REIT, Inc. (the "Company”) decided, in accordance with the terms of its Share Redemption Program, to continue the temporary freeze of the Company’s redemption program. The Company will not process any pending requests that have not been redeemed as of February 1, 2024 nor will it accept any redemption requests after April 1, 2024. Pending redemption requests will remain in queue until the Company recommences the redemption program. The Board intends to reassess this decision to determine whether to recommence the redemption program or to continue to pause the redemption program no later than July 1, 2024."

Sorry this isn't going well! I got caught in a pyramid scheme in 2022 also. It paid great for a while at least!

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied Apr 6 2024, 08:18
Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Also, when interest rates are really low people think they can do anything and make money. But then interest rates go up and the term "risk" becomes more than theoretical.

User Stats

Votes
Barbara Radke
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Westlake Village, CA
Replied Apr 6 2024, 14:54

I'm thinking the reason they are now saying "July 1" is to buy them more time on any type of a "redemption". June 30th is the deadline to ask for a January, 2025 disbursement, it is obvious why they chose July 1 as this enables them to not have to do any type of payout for another year!

User Stats

Votes
Arthur Crum
Votes |
Replied Apr 6 2024, 15:03
Quote from @Barbara Radke:

I'm thinking the reason they are now saying "July 1" is to buy them more time on any type of a "redemption". June 30th is the deadline to ask for a January, 2025 disbursement, it is obvious why they chose July 1 as this enables them to not have to do any type of payout for another year!

Yeah it's pretty apparent they aren't providing investors any money back. Apparently the withdraws that were slated for January of 2024 never went out either and then they immediately froze all withdraws. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that will loose much more. I'm sure glad I didn't invest more than I did.  

Account Closed
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Houston Texas
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Houston Texas
Replied Apr 7 2024, 19:29
Quote from @Sebastian Bennett:

Has anyone actually looked at their website and staffing? Talk about nepotism!  Brent Mendanhall, director of special operations....wtf does that even mean? Dory Mendenhal VP of real estate; Molly Mendenahll Director of Real Estate....just give the family titles and put them on the payroll lol. I don't mean to make light of this situation because it seems a lot of people have their money locked up but there are so many red flags with this company based on the information that has been shared on these forums as well. How did they manage to grow a $250M portfolio as co-found Amy Vaughn's bio suggests off of your hard earned money?

User Stats

Votes
Dutch Mendenhall
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Apr 8 2024, 13:17

Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Hello,

Mr. Crum,

As a RADD investor, we value your business. Under careful consideration, The Board of Directors has decided to freeze all distributions and withdrawals for an additional 90 days. This decision has been made due to record-high interest rates and the worst Real Estate economy since 2008. Most importantly, to protect you, the investor.

In 90 days, the Board of Directors will reevaluate our cash position and decide if we will continue to recommence or continue to pause distributions. This will occur on/about 01 July 2024. I want you to know this is a good decision that has been made by our Executive board to protect your investment. We assure you, if you have been approved for a redemption/distribution, your approval will remain valid and remain in que for payment once the freeze is lifted.

The following link is to the 1U Amendment to our SEC Offering Circular and SEC Offering Circular itself.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721469/000110465924043461/tm2411068d1_1u.htm

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721469/000110465922002821/tm222539d1_partiiandiii.htm

It’s vital to understand that the journey forward for us has a series of progressive steps:

1. The freeze, which is painful, is necessary for us to build reserves, pull equity, and meet commitments going forward.

2. Submitting all financials to auditors for REITs. RADD America has been submitted and RAD Diversified will follow soon.

3. Simultaneously improve our process and communication systems.

4. Portfolio loan against existing assets for immediate payment to investors. The loan is in process and through our financials and reserves we will achieve it.

We are a good company with incredibly hard-working people. We are going through a challenging time that will make us stronger. Capital invested is tied up in Real Estate and we will pull equity to take care of investors.

I highly recommend you read the SEC filing and the 1U Amendment. Additionally, as stated above, for additional questions please contact [email protected] or at (813) 709-8281.

Additionally, Blackstone, one of the World's largest Real Estate Investment Trusts, froze redemptions in November 2022 and still have restrictions on redemptions and distributions due to the state of the Real Estate market and economy in 2023 and an unforeseen flurry of requests for withdrawal of funds within their BREIT.  

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied Apr 10 2024, 05:14

@Dutch Mendenhall Your company just released a video of you touring your new office space. 5:34 into the video you discuss how important it is for you and Amy to finally have your own bathrooms in your executive offices separate from your staff. I am not personally invested in any of your offerings but this is not the message you should be sending right now with paused distributions

New Office Walkthrough | Downtown Tampa (youtube.com)

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Bennett
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Replied Apr 10 2024, 06:52
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from @Stuart Udis:

@Dutch Mendenhall Your company just released a video of you touring your new office space. 5:34 into the video you discuss how important it is for you and Amy to finally have your own bathrooms in your executive offices separate from your staff. I am not personally invested in any of your offerings but this is not the message you should be sending right now with paused distributions

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2024, 12:36
Quote from @Stuart Udis:

It is absolutely inappropriate, given a large number of unhappy investors and inner circle folks who paid for education...who were pushed to buy $50,000 "education," invest in one of their gazillion entities, or make loans with their life savings, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 10 2024, 22:15
Quote from @Dutch Mendenhall:

Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Hello,

Mr. Crum,

As a RADD investor, we value your business. Under careful consideration, The Board of Directors has decided to freeze all distributions and withdrawals for an additional 90 days. This decision has been made due to record-high interest rates and the worst Real Estate economy since 2008. Most importantly, to protect you, the investor.

In 90 days, the Board of Directors will reevaluate our cash position and decide if we will continue to recommence or continue to pause distributions. This will occur on/about 01 July 2024. I want you to know this is a good decision that has been made by our Executive board to protect your investment. We assure you, if you have been approved for a redemption/distribution, your approval will remain valid and remain in que for payment once the freeze is lifted.

The following link is to the 1U Amendment to our SEC Offering Circular and SEC Offering Circular itself.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721469/000110465924043461/tm2411068d1_1u.htm

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1721469/000110465922002821/tm222539d1_partiiandiii.htm

It’s vital to understand that the journey forward for us has a series of progressive steps:

1. The freeze, which is painful, is necessary for us to build reserves, pull equity, and meet commitments going forward.

2. Submitting all financials to auditors for REITs. RADD America has been submitted and RAD Diversified will follow soon.

4. Portfolio loan against existing assets for immediate payment to investors. The loan is in process and through our financials and reserves we will achieve it.

We are a good company with incredibly hard-working people. We are going through a challenging time that will make us stronger. Capital invested is tied up in Real Estate and we will pull equity to take care of investors.

I highly recommend you read the SEC filing and the 1U Amendment. Additionally, as stated above, for additional questions please contact [email protected] or at (813) 709-8281.

Additionally, Blackstone, one of the World's largest Real Estate Investment Trusts, froze redemptions in November 2022 and still have restrictions on redemptions and distributions due to the state of the Real Estate market and economy in 2023 and an unforeseen flurry of requests for withdrawal of funds within their BREIT.  

How the hell pending my withdrawal is “to protect you, the investor”??? I followed your company policy and filed withdrawal application in March 2023, got approved and supposed to be paid out January, 2024. Rad diversified firstly did not pay out on time. Secondly, Rad diversified freeze for 6 months and don’t even give the exact date to pay. That’s called stealing from investor not protect investor.
Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 11 2024, 04:09

@Sebastian Bennett

Wow… you would think with a staff of over 50 people one of them would have thought “is this a good idea”

I wonder if any of them also have thought “hey we froze distributions - maybe we should cut our biggest expense (people) asince they have dozen marketing people and a staff this size with over $12M in opex in 2022 according to their filings.

https://raddiversified.com/team/

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Bennett
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bucks County
Replied Apr 11 2024, 04:35

@Chris Seveney I disagree, I believe these marketing staff members are their most valuable assets. That's who recruited all of their capital. Maybe they should have been the ones awarded the executive suites with private bathrooms :)

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied Apr 11 2024, 08:45
Quote from @Jingjing Zou:
Quote from @Dutch Mendenhall:

Quote from @Arthur Crum:

Hello,

Mr. Crum,

How the hell pending my withdrawal is “to protect you, the investor”??? I followed your company policy and filed withdrawal application in March 2023, got approved and supposed to be paid out January, 2024. Rad diversified firstly did not pay out on time. Secondly, Rad diversified freeze for 6 months and don’t even give the exact date to pay. That’s called stealing from investor not protect investor.

To Play Devils Advocate I submit:

I suspect you just never read the entire document and all the small print that gives the sponsor these unilateral rights.. Now your upset.. does not make it stealing your money.. I don't know this person or company from a sack of salt or what  they do.. But with all the syndicators out there NOT all but many also getting stuck with their deals needing to recapitalize because interest rate rise and tax's and insurance rise was not planned for or contemplated these are legitimate actions to take to protect the greater good.  These are the risks when you send your money to a company and then you have zero control over it. That is how it works in syndication everyone of them works the same way.. As it relates to the latitude they have to run the company.. Its up to you the investor to realize this before you invest in these kind of vehicles.  Trashing the company is not going to speed up your redemption.