If no Fannie/Freddie loans..then what?

If no Fannie/Freddie loans..then what?

Rental Property Investor · North Little Rock, AR · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 19 votes

The best loan terms I've found so far are a 5 year balloon 20 years amortization, 5.75%. 

Is their any other loan structure for 10-30 unit complexes that are better than the one above or is this typical for commercial loans? 

Unfortunately, our loan price doesn't meet the requirement for Fannie/Freddie. I'm told it needs to be above at least a $2M price in order to get them involved. 

Please verify if I'm wrong here. 

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Hadar OrkibiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
8y

Freddie Small Balance i $1mill loan balance, 10 years fixed, 30 years amortization and could be 20%-25% down.

if you cant get that then local bank could be an option, most offer 5 years balloon, but you can try to go for 7 years and 25 years Amort.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Freddie has a small balance loan program, $1M minimum loan amount. 10 year fixed I believe. Talk to a loan broker who knows this program.
  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    8y

    Freddie Small Balance i $1mill loan balance, 10 years fixed, 30 years amortization and could be 20%-25% down.

    if you cant get that then local bank could be an option, most offer 5 years balloon, but you can try to go for 7 years and 25 years Amort.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 49 votes
    8y

    HUD 223(f) can do 85% LTV (minimum), 35 year fixed rate, non-recourse, but there are more soft costs involved and timing is longer than Freddie SBL or a bank. If you have something in the 30 unit range or around ~$1.5mm+, it's worth running an analysis. Smaller than that it's probably not going to be cost effective.

    Like Hadar said, if HUD or Freddie/Fannie are not feasible, leveraging local banks in your area can be surprisingly effective. Some aggressive banks around here are offering 10 year fixed.

  • Investor · Beaumont, TX · Member since 2016 · 171 posts · 277 votes
    8y
    A local credit union quoted me 20% down, 5.75%, 25 yr AM with 15 year balloon but 5 year ARM for a 14 unit I have under LOI. Seems to be the most competitive offer I have so far in terms of financing
  • Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 111 votes
    8y

    I refinanced with a local bank from a 20/5 4.9% to a 25/7, 5.25%, it not common but it's out there, just takes some looking.   

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Cody Dover that is not accurate. Freddie and Fannie both have Small loan programs. Up to 80% ltv depending on the market, 30 year am, potentially an I/o component again depending on the deal. Prepay ranges from yield maintenance to step down to flex step down. Feel free to pm with questions. I know the agency products very well.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.