Bank (seller) requests extension--grant it, walk, or renegotiate?

Bank (seller) requests extension--grant it, walk, or renegotiate?

Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 118 votes

I have my first deal under contract. It's an REO, all-cash deal. The deal was accepted 1/26, and we wanted to close by the beginning of February. I've read that banks work on their own time, but they were very clear that they wanted this deal done ASAP, and wanted forms signed quickly and expeditiously. For various reasons, I'm quite certain that they wanted this wrapped up and off their books.

After everything was completed on my end, they dragged their feet on signing the completed contract, agreeing on a settlement date, returning forms to the title company, etc.  We were scheduled to close tomorrow, and I was just informed that they need an extension to clear a defect in the title.

First, I was irritated and was just going to say okay and go with it.  Then, I was thinking to myself:  "would they have been as understanding if I couldn't perform to the contract?  Would they have just kept my earnest money?"

It seems to me that granting an extension on my end should result in a concession on their end. There's time-value to consider that my EMD is sitting there doing nothing while in escrow.

FWIW this property has been on the market a long, long time.  I got it at an amazing price, because I felt the bank needed it gone.  So, I feel like I have leverage in this situation. Should I grant the extension, but lower the purchase price offered due to the delay?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
10y

@Jason KrickIf you're sitting on another deal that's just as good as this one, but don't have funding for it because this is sitting in escrow, I MIGHT consider trying to get out of this one. Otherwise I'd just ride it out if they're asking for a reasonable extension, and you think they'll be able to resolve whatever the issue is.

If it were me, I'd be cautious about biting off my nose to spite my face by walking away. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 477 posts · 426 votes
    10y

    @Jason KrickIf you're sitting on another deal that's just as good as this one, but don't have funding for it because this is sitting in escrow, I MIGHT consider trying to get out of this one. Otherwise I'd just ride it out if they're asking for a reasonable extension, and you think they'll be able to resolve whatever the issue is.

    If it were me, I'd be cautious about biting off my nose to spite my face by walking away. 

  • Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 118 votes
    10y

    @Jason V.

    I don't have a better deal.  Although I haven't been looking either.  Is it reasonable?  On one hand, it is.  They only asked for two weeks.  On the other, they've had the property for a year, and waited until now to work on clearing up a defect.  I guess that their expectations of performing quickly, and efficiently should be reciprocated.

    In the end, I really can't walk.  I got too good of a price.  Part of me thinks the price should be reduced, due to their lack of performance.  Thanks for clarity.  I'm riding the wave of emotion a bit right now, I guess.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Every REO I've ever bought needed extension. It's the nature of the beast. Do it their way or lose the deal. It's S.O.P. for banks

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    You like playing Russian roulette?

  • Real Estate Agent · Wareham, MA · Member since 2013 · 112 posts · 67 votes
    10y

    Been doing REOs for 12 years and I hate to say this, but! That's the way it is in REO. You either learn to live with it or get out of it. I'm not saying this to offend anyone but that's the game. It's like the ARMY hurry and wait.

    Wishing you Good fortunes along with a heaping dose of patience. 

    -ron

  • Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2014 · 196 posts · 118 votes
    10y

    @Michaela G.@Wayne Brooks@Ronald Bourgeois

    Thank you all for the consensus!  I certainly don't want to push my luck.  I've been patient for about 20 months, which was when I started educating myself and deciding to get into this.  A few more weeks won't hurt.

    I don't want to play Russian Roullette! Incidentally Wayne, I would have voted for your post twice if I could.  I always appreciate candor and straightforwardness.  You said a whole lot in such a short sentence.  It's appreciated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.