Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rose
Votes |
How to analyze potential site for first commercial development?

Robert Rose
Posted

I'm about to embark on my first commercial real estate development project.

I plan to buy a ~1acre property in Georgia to construct a 20,000sqft building with the following breakdown:

8,000sqft retail space

7,000sqft warehouse space

5,000sqft office space

I'll be using some of the office space and warehouse space for myself. The rest will be leased.

How do I determine and analyze a potential location for this development in terms of potential lease rates, vacancy rates, potential area growth, post construction value, etc?

User Stats

Votes
Robb Almy
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied

Here are some (not all) ideas to consider. As always, seek professional help local to you. 

Gather some market data- look for local market reports and engage a commercial real estate broker who can provide some great market insights.

Consider your site- what is the accessibility? surrounding amenities?

Work with the local experts- talk with local zoning officials, engage architects, and reach out to contractors to understand the cost and feasibility of your project.

Run your numbers- do some forecasting and layout some financial models to project costs, revenues, and returns.

Make sure you are utilizing your team- aforementioned real estate broker, financial advisor/ CPA, and lawyer and others as you go.

Best wishes and good luck.

• Robb Almy
  • User Stats

Votes
    Jamie Hora
    • Developer
    • San Antonio
    Votes |
    • Developer
    • San Antonio
    Replied

There is a large piece that you didnt mention, the actual cost of the development. You may have a grasp on this aspect, but there are items to consider that can play a big factor when choosing your land such as topography, existing zoning & platted lot status, minimum/maximum requirements such as parking, detention, size of building, setbacks.  

Timelime of the project can be heavily impacted by which agencies are required for permitting. It is only within a county, or need City approvals, or possibly DOT approvals for driveway connection, etc. A local engineer can help understand all of these items.

Good luck on the project. 

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Henry Clark
    Pro Member
    #1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
    • Developer
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
    • Developer
    Replied

Look on loopnet or crexi. Both for sale and for lease.  Look for similar properties or usage.  Talk with the agent who has the most listings similar to your concept.  Determine both lease and sale value. 

Location and view is really dependent on the type of usage.  Plumber versus bagel shop.  Access to me is big. At turn lane or lights?  Turn lane?  Speed limit out front? Roads on two sides?  

• Henry Clark
  • User Stats

Votes
    Darnell Lockett
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Miami
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Miami
    Replied

Hi @Robert Rose. Congrats on your first project. I'll echo what @Robb Almy said as it pertains to having the right LOCAL team in place, especially considering its your first project. That's a must! Things like feasibility studies, site surveys and site selection will play a part in the success of the project. Having a strong experienced team is critical. 

User Stats

Votes
    Don Konipol
    Lender
    Pro Member
    #1 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
    • Lender
    • The Woodlands, TX
    Votes |
    Lender
    Pro Member
    #1 Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes Contributor
    • Lender
    • The Woodlands, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Robert Rose:

I'm about to embark on my first commercial real estate development project.

I plan to buy a ~1acre property in Georgia to construct a 20,000sqft building with the following breakdown:

8,000sqft retail space

7,000sqft warehouse space

5,000sqft office space

I'll be using some of the office space and warehouse space for myself. The rest will be leased.

How do I determine and analyze a potential location for this development in terms of potential lease rates, vacancy rates, potential area growth, post construction value, etc?

Sounds like you may be getting a little ahead of yourself.  I have always commissioned a feasibility study. I prefer someone holding the CRE designation to perform the study, although MAI designees are usually also qualified. 

User Stats

Votes
    Simmy Ahluwalia
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • Atlanta, GA
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • Atlanta, GA
    Replied

@Robert Rose - agree with all of the above and also a Feasibility Study to gauge local demand.  We are ATL based and finance Owner-Occ new construction.  When you are ready, we are happy to review your loan scenario.  

Also, if you are able to secure LOI's with prospective retail/warehouse tenants, this always helps with the financing piece.

• Simmy Ahluwalia