Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
How to know the Max Bids before the foreclosure auction

Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Posted

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I would be able to get the max bid amounts for properties going to foreclosure auction before the auction sale date? As of now, I find out by going to the auction everyday and It's a war having to go through due diligence of 100 properties just to buy 1. Knowing the max bid up front would save so much time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everybody.

:D

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied

I assume you mean the opening bid? If the foreclosure attorney has a website it will be posted there. If not you usually have to call the attorney's office and ask them if they have an opening bid.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Sam - thank you for you correction! Yes, opening bid is what I meant. I will give that a shot. Thank you for your advice.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

"Maximum bid" is based on the value of the property, from comps or however you choose to derive that value. Obviously, you will need to deduct for repair estimates and "safety margins" plus other expenses you will encounter.

"Minimum bid" = "opening bid" or "Starting bid". Sam gave a good reply - make phone calls before the sale. Sometimes, you can also arrive at the sale early and ask the attorneys or trustees what the opening bids will be on properties that you find attractive.

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied

If you are new to buying at trustee sales I recommend studying a bit and learning how to conduct due diligence with regard to lien position, IRS liens, property taxes, title issues etc. You can get yourself into trouble real quick if you see an opening bid of 80k on a 250k property but fail to realize it is a second position lien and there is a 200k first position lien in place.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy H.
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied

Sam,

Great points and very true, but I believe you are referencing your experiences from tax deed states. Tax lien states where you purchase the lien typically do not run into the 10's of thousands but rather are dictated by the amount of property tax owed, typically less than a few grand. A little bit different situation, but still being well aware of title history and lien seniority are critical. Definitely not something to jump into blindly.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve - your break down is appreciated. I was actually in fact inquiring about Max Bids. Here in Central FL, all opening bids start at $100, but the max is going to be all different based on the lender. That is where I'm getting stuck. We do the research on ALL properties that fit our perimeters, but rarely bid b/c most of the max bids are higher than what we want to pay. With that being said, if we knew the max bids ahead of time, we would save much time with the due diligence process.

Sam - Thank you for the advice. We were warned about this initially and definitely do our homework to the best of our knowledge. I've heard of those nightmares and hope I don't have to go through anything close to that!

Jimmy - Thank you for your input. With tax liens here our my area, an opening bid of the tax deed sale is what is owed in taxes, but it runs up to as high as someone wants to pay. Sometimes deals are stolen there and of course there are those times where people like to pay 101% of market value =)

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

Here's a couple of links for learning about buying foreclosures:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/32392-buying-at-foreclosure-is-easy-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/43830-tutorial-for-buying-at-foreclosure-auctions

edit: almost forgot this good one:
http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/47830-bought-my-first-foreclosure-yesterday-despite-bp-advice-c-

Jimmy,

I don't know where you're coming from with that last post, but to me Sam has given the OP good instructions.

User Stats

Votes
Sam M.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Craigmont, ID
Replied

So in your area a "max bid" is the lender's "max bid"....Makes sense.
Here the opening bid is the lender's max bid. They do not start any lower.

Steve- I was going to dig those up but was too lazy :)

User Stats

Votes
Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Replied

Tony- I'm in ft myers and attempting to buy at auction. 2 months ago, Lee county went online. Some of the properties show the max bid, but most don't. You just click onkine for the date you want. Many lenders don't list max at all, and some list it JUST before their property comes up for bid. It has been real nice since going online. Good luck Tony. Rich

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Steve - great links, I will take some time and let all those soak in.

Sam - yes sir. max bid is the lenders max =)

Rich - I'm a fan! Thanks for replying. I heard about Lee County going online. That's great b/c here in Orange County, I'm paying a 3rd party about $125 per month for the info. If it goes online here, it should be much easier. Since it's not online at this point, do you have any recommendations as to how I can get the max bids ahead of time? Maybe not even all, just some would be nice.

User Stats

Votes
Rich Weese#2 Off Topic Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • the villages, FL
Replied

I'd have to just agree with previous posts. I don't know an easy way for you. Rich

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Thank you everyone for your time. What I'll be doing is contacting the attorneys before hand to request for the max bid information and arriving early to the auctions to ask the plaintiffs if they have max bid info for any properties I'm interested in.

Thanks again!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

It appears that what they call in FL "max bid", in PA they call "upset price". In either case, it's what you must bid to in order to out-bid the bank's bid.

The terminology seems to vary as much as the state rules for these foreclosure sales.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Ellis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chester Springs, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chester Springs, PA
Replied

PA is going to vary by county. In Chester County the attorneys are fairly open with their upset price (and usually announce it at the sale if not in advance). Montgomery is split, some attorneys will give the upset and others will not.

I'm not sure why an attorney wouldn't publicize their upset price-its just saves everyone time.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Nguyen
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

Hi everyone - I wanted to give you a quick follow up about what I did.

I called 5 law offices in the morning and asked them about 5 different properties that were going to auction at the end of this week. They all gave me practically the same answer - "the bank is our client and the max bid is confidential." With that being said, I could not get the info I was looking for (the max bids). Any thoughts? Otherwise - gotta keep digging!

User Stats

Votes
Peter Stanley
  • Investor
  • Isle Of Palms, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Isle Of Palms, SC
Replied

any luck with this? I am running into the same issue. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Brian david
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied

alot of great info here! i think many things have changed since going online!