Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jack Deer
Votes |
24% Listing Commission?

Jack Deer
Posted May 24 2024, 18:08

I was looking at one property that the realtor claimed to have a 24% commission to sell. The property was listed under $30,000. There was nothing special (bad or good) about the property. Just another average lot with utilities.
What's going on here? Is the realtor sticking it to the seller?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied May 24 2024, 18:18

That's what happens on low price properties.

Pretend it was a normal commission rate of say 2.5%. An agent would lose a couple grand servicing the property at that rate.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Deer
Votes |
Replied May 27 2024, 17:16
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Pretend it was a normal commission rate of say 2.5%. An agent would lose a couple grand setvicing the property at that rate.

That makes no sense at all. That would be like McD's charging $7 for a small order of fries because it takes just as much work as a $9 combo.
Let me guess! You are a so-called realtor?
A lot is rarely ever shown by a realtor. The only work involved is if the so-called realtor lied or posted the wrong info.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied May 27 2024, 17:29
Quote from @Jack Deer:

Pretend it was a normal commission rate of say 2.5%. An agent would lose a couple grand setvicing the property at that rate.

That makes no sense at all. That would be like McD's charging $7 for a small order of fries because it takes just as much work as a $9 combo.
A lot is rarely ever shown by a realtor. The only work involved is if the so-called realtor lied or posted the wrong info.

this is very common many brokers myself included have minimum fee's of 5 to 10k.. I have seen plenty of huds on properties I funded for fix and flippers were commissions were that high or higher and lets not talk about wholesalers who might charge 100% if they can get awaay with it.. difference is they dont disclose the brokers disclose to their sellers..

User Stats

Votes
Jack Deer
Votes |
Replied May 27 2024, 17:57
this is very common many brokers myself included have minimum fee's of 5 to 10k..
I'm very intrigued!
Would you kindly post a link to some of your listings of $30,000 or less?
You don't need to tell us how much your commission is.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied May 27 2024, 18:16
Quote from @Jack Deer:

You clearly have little knowledge of how to run a business and the costs associated with it.

User Stats

Votes
Eric James
  • Malakoff, TX
Votes |
  • Malakoff, TX
Replied May 27 2024, 19:01
Quote from @Jack Deer:

McD's is free to charge whatever they want, and the public is free to not purchase if they choose not to. Same goes for any service.

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied May 28 2024, 05:51

@Jack Deer the broker probably has a minimum dollar amount to list/sell, accounting for high %, especially if that is covering the buyer’s agent side too. Might be a lower commission if it was part of a larger package deal (like using your McDonalds reference, planning to sell many little things that add up to a lot).

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 28 2024, 05:54

@Jack Deer

We had a timeshare we sold for $30k and paid $5k commission. I did not even blink an eye at is as they have a min. They need to make before they lose money or even worth marketing the asset for you

I don’t believe at all this is like McDonald’s, it’s more like calling an electrician to change a light bulb, there will be a travel charge // min charge for someone to come do a specific job.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied May 28 2024, 08:13
Quote from @Jack Deer:
this is very common many brokers myself included have minimum fee's of 5 to 10k..
I'm very intrigued!

I dont list property I loan money to those that buy these properties and so I see the closing hud and what the brokers charge..  I have seen banks sell a house in Detroit for instance for 8k and broker charged 5k..  its super common in low value assets.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied May 28 2024, 12:52
Quote from @Jack Deer:

I was looking at one property that the realtor claimed to have a 24% commission to sell. The property was listed under $30,000. There was nothing special (bad or good) about the property. Just another average lot with utilities.
What's going on here? Is the realtor sticking it to the seller?

24%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a loser. Should have charged more.

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied May 28 2024, 12:56
Quote from @Jack Deer:
I'm very intrigued!

I've sold 100's & 100's of low value homes. Commission I charge is 7% or a minimum of $5k. So once you get into sub $70k stuff you're looking at the $5k fee. Whether the property is $4k or $40k, you are still paying $5k to me to sell it.

It should be obvious to you why this is, but it looks like it's not. An agent cannot work for 7% of $4k because that is only $280. It costs a lot more than $280 to market and sell a home. In business, the idea is to make more money than you spend.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied May 28 2024, 13:57

@Jack Deer vacant lots typically take much longer to sell, so agend spends mroe time.

Would you rather pay an agent by the hour?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bow, NH
Replied May 28 2024, 16:33

Like any industry there are professionals worth every penny and "professionals" not even worth $280. I have bought an investment property that had a very tight time window to close. No exceptions. We ran into an appraisal issue and our agent helped us fix it and negotiated a longer closing despite the fact that they initially wouldn't budge. I have worked with agents that needed help filling out the description of the property (example of the bad ones)

I'm not an agent but I can only imagine low price properties are MORE time consuming than a luxury home. Typically there are reasons these homes are so cheap and a good agent will help their client navigate those issue s.