Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Buying properties in MA

Brandon Martinez
Posted
I have a question for investors in Massachusetts, has the market dried out in Massachusetts for multi-family homes in your opinion?  I'm asking this question due to months of searching for multi-family homes to start my multi-family journey but the prices are way too high to purchase as a newby.  Are investors looking at other markets with positive cash flow? 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied

Brandon 

You have to get out of Suffolk County and start looking into other areas where you can still get a good deal and the rents offer a positive cash flow without having to put 30% to 35% down. I would take a look at Lowell, Dracut, Fitchburg, even up around Nashua, NH. You can still pick up a good STR/LTR up in North Conway and around Merideth.

You have a lot of properties around the colleges as well that can be rented to students or since its next to a couple of Hospitals the Nurses, Doctors, and other medical staff pay good rents.

User Stats

Votes
Todor Ialamov
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Burlington MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Burlington MA
Replied

Hi Brandon,

I second Jason's take. We heavily invest in the Leominster/Fitchburg/Gardner area. You can still find cash flowing good properties in a market that is up and coming. Rents are going up and the demand is really high. I will be happy to connect you with someone from my team who can fill you in on this market, if interested.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied

@Brandon Martinez - To reiterate a lot of people's points, I am still finding cash flowing properties in Western Mass. I invest regularly in Worcester, Providence, and towns outside of Worcester. I normally find properties close to the 1% once stabalized.

More or less, I recommend targeting tertiary markets that are 45 min to an hour outside of Boston with a large concentration of multifamily. It is easier to find a multifamily if there are a lot of that asset class in stock in the area. Best of luck on your search! 

Candor Realty Worcester Logo

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Andrew Freed:

@Brandon Martinez - To reiterate a lot of people's points, I am still finding cash flowing properties in Western Mass. I invest regularly in Worcester, Providence, and towns outside of Worcester. I normally find properties close to the 1% once stabalized.

More or less, I recommend targeting tertiary markets that are 45 min to an hour outside of Boston with a large concentration of multifamily. It is easier to find a multifamily if there are a lot of that asset class in stock in the area. Best of luck on your search! 

Yeah - this hits on most of the strategies that are still making the numbers work in this market = multi-unit, secondary markets and creating value through BRRRR (buying/renovating -->stabilize instead of turnkey rental purchases)