Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Coban Scott
  • New to Real Estate
  • Toronto, Canada
Votes |
Best Place to Buy real Estate in Canada

Coban Scott
  • New to Real Estate
  • Toronto, Canada
Posted

Does anybody have an idea on the best places in Canada for a new real estate investor to start out? I have heard Calgary is a good place because of prices but does anybody have any insight on where you can get the best deals?

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied
Quote from @Coban Scott:

Does anybody have an idea on the best places in Canada for a new real estate investor to start out? I have heard Calgary is a good place because of prices but does anybody have any insight on where you can get the best deals?

I don't think there's a single source to get good deals. But the most accessible is obviously the MLS. You can look at Zillow, Realtor.ca, etc to filter through the listings. I'm in Calgary and the best deal I got was from the MLS. I have also bought from a neighbor and such but unless you have some boots on the ground, your best bet would be finding a realtor you like and/or search the MLS.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Spalding
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied

Canada is not typically a place to find good deals, not a lot of value IMO. Calgary is going through a bit of a boom right now with house prices 10% higher than they were last year, everyones trying to flock from Toronto or Vancouver and find value there. Sooner or later, demand is going to significantly exceed supply In Calgary, and Calgary will be just as expensive as any other Canadian city. This can perhaps drive people 100km north, to Edmonton, where the avg. price there is around 200k less than Calgary. For either city, Alberta is a pretty landlord friendly province, if you're planning to buy a rental property. Both cities have their pros and cons depending what your looking for as an investor but if it's purely prices Edmonton would edge out Calgary. hope this helps

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Stevo Sun
  • Calgary, AB
Votes |
  • Calgary, AB
Replied
Quote from @Stevo Sun:
Quote from @Coban Scott:

I don't think there's a single source to get good deals. But the most accessible is obviously the MLS. You can look at Zillow, Realtor.ca, etc to filter through the listings. I'm in Calgary and the best deal I got was from the MLS. I have also bought from a neighbor and such but unless you have some boots on the ground, your best bet would be finding a realtor you like and/or search the MLS.

Edmonton is 300km from Calgary and colder 😉

I also disagree with the assessment on price. Calgary (Alberta in general) is not land locked. The prices in AB will increase but will almost always be cheaper than Vancouver and Toronto. 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Therrien-Bernard
  • Realtor
  • Calgary, Alberta
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Calgary, Alberta
Replied
Quote from @Jim Spalding:

Canada is not typically a place to find good deals, not a lot of value IMO. Calgary is going through a bit of a boom right now with house prices 10% higher than they were last year, everyones trying to flock from Toronto or Vancouver and find value there. Sooner or later, demand is going to significantly exceed supply In Calgary, and Calgary will be just as expensive as any other Canadian city. This can perhaps drive people 100km north, to Edmonton, where the avg. price there is around 200k less than Calgary. For either city, Alberta is a pretty landlord friendly province, if you're planning to buy a rental property. Both cities have their pros and cons depending what your looking for as an investor but if it's purely prices Edmonton would edge out Calgary. hope this helps

Btw Edmonton is 300km north of Calgary

User Stats

Votes
Coban Scott
  • New to Real Estate
  • Toronto, Canada
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Toronto, Canada
Replied

Thanks for the insight Jim, I really appreciate it. I have another, what would the steps be like if I were to try to invest in the U.S in. a city close to Toronto, do you know how a Canadian could possible try to invest in a different country?

User Stats

Votes
Kevan Baum
  • New to Real Estate
  • High River, AB CANADA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • High River, AB CANADA
Replied

Market changes all the time.  Presently I'm buying condos in Edmonton.  Single family in Sask and multis in rural Alberta and Sask.  All cash flow strongly and should appreciate a lot in the coming few years with the flood of people moving to AB and SK.