Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mobile Home Park Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Rechkemmer
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
Donating trailer within MHP

Mark Rechkemmer
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cary, NC
Posted

I have two trailers that are fixer uppers that I'm willing to donate to a church/non profit, but need to require the trailer remain within the MHP for a period of time or it can be a significant financial loss.  For those MHP owners out there, what is reasonable amount of time to require they remain in the park?

User Stats

Votes
Frank Rolfe#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ste. Genevieve, MO
Votes |
Frank Rolfe#1 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ste. Genevieve, MO
Replied

This is a risky undertaking. The church/non-profit is going to then let homeless people live in the trailers, and that's going to tank any possible "pride of ownership". I've never seen this work out well. I think you would be better off doing a "handyman special" (based on the laws of your state) which at least gets the home in the hands of the end user who will then be an owner and have "pride of ownership".

As far as how long you can require a home to remain in your park, that's a matter of state law. Some have no guidelines and other states have strict restrictions on how long you can restrict movement of the home as they see this as a violation of property rights. I would talk to your state MHA to learn your state's requirements.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Mark Rechkemmer I've tried going this route before with non-profits. Though, it ends up in a stream of red tape and inaction as there are multiple meetings with the board which can take time. 

In the end, I ended up selling to other investors willing to take the homes and fix them up. 

Hope that helps! 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Brogan
  • Investor
  • Roanoke, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Roanoke, VA
Replied

@Mark Rechkemmer
much better off to just sell or give the homes to someone that will start paying lot rent 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Rechkemmer
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Cary, NC
Replied
Quote from @Frank Rolfe:

Thanks Frank.  I ended up finding a homeowner occupant who bought it for $1000 and will renovate and live in it.