Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Contractors
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Fisher
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
Cost of Cutting an Entry Door in Foundation Wall

Robert Fisher
  • Lynchburg, VA
Posted

Not sure if this is correct forum to post in so forgive me if I got it wrong.

I'm looking at a property that is begging to be a duplex but lacks a separate entry into the basement that already has a kitchen ready and waiting.  The best way to accomplish this would be to cut an entry door the concrete wall at the back of the house (as the basement currently lacks an entry point).

Has anybody done this before or have any experience with this?  Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Van Horn
Pro Member
#5 Real Estate Events & Meetups Contributor
  • Fund Manager
  • Wayne, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fund Manager
  • Wayne, PA
Replied

@Robert Fisher

It can be done! 

I haven't done it myself but I've seen it done before

Not sure on the pricing but I'd suggest contacting a local concrete guy first, since they'll know how to cut through it. Usually it's done with some kind of diamond blade.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied

Ck with City on permits. Structure integration...

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Van Horn
Pro Member
  • Fund Manager
  • Wayne, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fund Manager
  • Wayne, PA
Replied

@Sam Shueh is absolutely right! Definitely best to check to see if it's possible first.

User Stats

Votes
Alfred Edmonds
  • Contractor
  • Greenfield, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Greenfield, MA
Replied
Yeah don't do it yourself or just any handyman. Probably gonna have to put a header of some kind in it, and it's gonna cost you some bucks. I don't know about where you live but yoh might need an engineer to sign off on the design.

User Stats

Votes
Teague Anderson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied

Definitely check with an engineer.  I wanted to make a partial cut out of a short stem wall recently, and the engineer hemmed and hawed about it a bit.  Cutting a full door out could have a lot of affects, depending on what that foundation wall is doing.  It's most likely doable, but you'll want to know the implications and have an engineered stamped design so you're not liable if anything fails.

As for how to do it.  Once you have a design, you can hire someone.  Search for "saw cutting" on google in your local area.  Or go to home depot and rent a demo saw.  They're pretty intimidating to use, but not that bad once you get the hang of them.  You'll have to cut the wall from both sides, probably, so you'll want to hammer drill a small hole all the way through at the beginning and end of each planned cut, and then snap a line between those holes.  Then just cut along the snapped line.  Use water while making the cut to reduce dust.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Fisher
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied

@Sam Shueh

Really good point. I wouldn't have thought about it if somebody at my local REIA meeting last night said she was trying to make a single family into a duplex - and actually did all of the work for it (separation walls, separated electric, etc) before she found out her lot was 300sf too small, by code, to do a duplex.... Luckily for her, there was a clause about if not direct neighbors objected, she could proceed anyway.

But yeah, I knew it could be done but I wouldn't dare attempt it myself.  I was just hoping somebody knew a ballpark on price and how intensive the labor would be.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Fisher
  • Lynchburg, VA
Votes |
  • Lynchburg, VA
Replied

@Alfred Edmonds

The header was the part I wasn't exactly sure how to do.  Wondering if its best to build a faux wall to support floor joists while you cut the entire concrete wall, top to bottom, then build it all back in 2x6 - or - do you somehow cut out a lintel shape in with the door?  I'm a home designer, not a home builder, so I know how to organize spaces but not always how to pull it off haha.  I've worked with contractors enough to be dangerous - where I know the basic idea of how to do something, but if I tried it myself I would probably miss a small detail that would ruin everything.  So yeah, I'm smarter than to try something like this on my own haha

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied
Probably the same people that do egress window installs might be a place to start for cost. We have a house without an exterior basement entrance, not sure why they do that. Hard to get appliances and other stuff in.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Clark
  • Roanoke, VA
Votes |
  • Roanoke, VA
Replied

Robert Fisher try Marco Coring and Cutting out of Roanoke. They did one for me about 7 years ago for about $800. That’s just the concrete cut, and in my case there was no engineering required. I was a licensed contractor at the time and did everything else (permits, etc.).