Now Contractor Asking for 15% markup to cover material and labor

Now Contractor Asking for 15% markup to cover material and labor

Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 29 votes

I am working with a contractor that has been a pleasure to work with. Honestly, he has gotten the job done and has been honest with me. There have been delays on the project that I have had to eat up (3 Months), but overall, there have not been concerns.

The project is wrapping up and he has said due to all the unforeseen circumstances, that he really did not make money on this project and was asking for 15% of the total contract to make some profit.

As a good guy - I totally understand this. But how do I know he is not taking advantage of me? To be honest, I understand his situation might not be ideal, but this is business. Sometimes in business, you have to take lower or no profit, because you did not execute properly to begin with. It also puts me in a poor situation because:

a) It affects our relationship based on the decision I make here

- If I say NO, then I look like a jerk and he may not want to work with me in the future (I like him enough in many other ways where I would still work with him)

b) It affects my ability to operate & grow

- Asking for more money obviously puts financial constraints on my ability to invest and maintain financial security over the portfolio. I come from a good place, I just do not think he sees this side of things.

As a new investor, what are the next best steps for me to ensure I keep all sides happy?

Ideas:

- Request itemized invoices that outline the supplies, subcontractors, workers on the project, and materials purchased?

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

@Matthew Metros why is he asking for more money at the end as a surprise?

Change orders should have been discussed as they occurred.

Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Why not try to make a deal with him for 7.5% increase and explain how inflation has also tightened all your numbers. Let him know how you love his work and will continue to utilize him on upcoming deals. I would try this approach first if you like this dude, you could come out looking like a good guy and only pay half of what was requested. 

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    You are both running businesses here.

    If he did more work than you both originally agreed on, he should be compensated for that work.

    If he did the work that you both originally agreed on, and now he is just asking for 15% more for his time, that is unreasonable.

    How was your deal structured with him? Most of my deals are structured cost plus, meaning I pay for all of the materials, and then pay a fixed % for the contractors labor and overhead. With that structure, I always spend more than expected but that is because the cost of materials goes up, or I end up selecting materials that were not originally in budget.

  • SFR & Multifamily · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Metros

    As a NJ handyman unforeseen things happen all the time. I always charge a base price plus materials. When something does come up I just charge extra. I communicate that with customers in the beginning. Unforeseen circumstances cost extra. Most of the time it's not an issue. The customers that don't agree I thank them for their time and keep it moving

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Matthew Metros why is he asking for more money at the end as a surprise?

    Change orders should have been discussed as they occurred.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Lender · rate.bid · Member since 2022 · 324 posts · 62 votes
    3y

     There are too many mistakes here and as a noob, you have to be extremely careful. 

    ->3 month project delays
    ->contractor changing price midway through project because "he wants to make more $"? Excuse me?
    -> if I say no I look like a jerk?
    -> needing to 'keep all sides happy'?

    You'll likely be severely taken advantage of in more ways than I can think of and if this is a financed project.... your lender certainly would have massive concerns with all of this.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Even if he is being honest this is business, if you were to lose money on the flip he would not give you 15% off of his profits. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.