Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Garen S.
Votes |
1st deal done: now what?

Garen S.
Posted

I bought a vacation rental property 3 years ago for a great price. I rented it using an agency and their fees combined with the high HOA fees made it a negative cash flow in that setup. I really didn't know what I was doing and should have managed the property myself.

Anyways lucky for me the property appreciated and I recently sold the property for a 200k profit. That plus the 150k equity gives me 350k to reinvest.

I currently distributed the 200k for a 1031 exchange.

I am looking at SFH in my area which range from 250k-400k.

Trying to figure out best strategy for investment. For background I have a good job and I have a 4 day work week. I have a traditional balanced portfolio with no real estate holdings except for about 65k in an REIT.

My job is on auto pilot and I’m looking for a challenge and am excited about expanding my real estate investing.

My thoughts on proceeding are: purchasing a SFH with 25% down and managing myself then invest rest in syndicate or passive real estate deal. Purchasing multiple homes. Paying cash for single home and then managing. Thoughts.

User Stats

Votes
Pride Davis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Monterey, Ca.
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Monterey, Ca.
Replied

What was the deal? Did you post in the Deal Diary?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied

Your next move should NOT be a property.  Your next move should be a plan that lays out each decision you will make from property to property.  You should never ask the question, "what do I do next", ever again.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.