Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brad Eckhardt
Votes |
Norada vs. Roofstock

Brad Eckhardt
Posted

I’m trying to get into single family home real estate and I have been trying to get a feel for the type of cash flow involved. I have been looking at Norada real estate and Roof stock and find their cash flow numbers differ greatly. On a similar home,price, neighborhood etc.., Norada will say cash flow will be ~$400 and Roof stock will say ~$100.

Does anyone know if Norada inflates their numbers or have they been found to be accurate? Why the big difference in the two?

I want to get into real estate and want to be realistic on what kind of return is involved. Thanks for any help.

User Stats

Votes
Curt Davis
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Memphis, TN
Replied
Brad,

Norada is an affiliate marketing company meaning they are partnering with turnkey providers in the markets they advertise so the figures should be based on what the TK provider gave them.  Roofstock is basically an MLS for investment properties.  The numbers are all based on things like vacancy, repairs, capex, interest rate used and more. I suggest you run your own numbers on them to compare. Dont just go by what you see on their sites.  I believe Norada offers some type of warranty or rent guarantee program where Roofstock most likely does not so once you purchase and close they are out of the picture.  Norada will at least try to go to bat for you with the provider they put you with.

You can also just look at the turnkey providers in those markets you are interested.

Good luck
  • Real Estate Agent TN (#00321765)

User Stats

Votes
Jason Pabon
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Replied

@Brad Eckhardt I know someone that's used both. Happy to send an intro.
Roofstock offers a lease up guarantee and a 30 day money back guarantee on all properties. 

Have you tried considering both and seeing which one gives you a better experience? (assuming you're looking to build a portfolio)

• Jason Pabon
  • BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
    Tom Ott
    • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
    • Cleveland, OH
    Votes |
    • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
    • Cleveland, OH
    Replied
    Originally posted by @Brad Eckhardt:

I’m trying to get into single family home real estate and I have been trying to get a feel for the type of cash flow involved. I have been looking at Norada real estate and Roof stock and find their cash flow numbers differ greatly. On a similar home,price, neighborhood etc.., Norada will say cash flow will be ~$400 and Roof stock will say ~$100.

Does anyone know if Norada inflates their numbers or have they been found to be accurate? Why the big difference in the two?

I want to get into real estate and want to be realistic on what kind of return is involved. Thanks for any help.

I don't think either one is a Turnkey Company. I would identify the market you wish to invest in and then I would look for local Turnkey Providers that are there. Just cut out the middle-man. 

User Stats

Votes
    Chris Clothier
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
    • Rental Property Investor
    • memphis, TN
    Votes |
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #4 Ask About A Real Estate Company Contributor
    • memphis, TN
    Replied

@Brad Eckhardt

@Curt Davis did a nice job of differentiating the two companies and mentioning that third option of speaking with a company directly.  I wanted to add that I have been a skeptic of Roofstock in the past and voiced some concerns over process and control for buyers on that platform.  However, we’ve been consulting with Roofstock for a few months now and working closely with them on developing an API and I have to give them credit for making big strides in this space.  They are still a marketplace, but are working hard on transparency, data aggregation and reporting for buyers and trying to offer a nice alternative for investors who want to go the passive route.  Especially for those who are comfortable using technology to compare and review offerings to find the right property and manager.  Which, let’s face it, is the future.

I have spent a lot of time on the phone with them and they genuinely want to improve what they are offering for investors.  I was particularly impressed with their desire to separate opportunities for investors based on experience.  They recognize that some opportunities are better than others and price is not always the best differentiator and they learned that from their experiences operating over the last few years.  As someone who was skeptical, they impressed me enough to get off the sidelines and connect my IT team and head of our portfolio team to work with them.

One final divergence between the two particular companies is cost.  I’m not sure that either cost anything for the buyer, but there is a big difference in cost to a vendor that sells a home.  In some cases it may cost a vendor half as much to work with Roofstock as opposed to other promotional companies. That is a huge savings for home providers and allows for lower sales prices.  Those costs factor into the investment and I think technology is going to go a long way in reducing the costs for vendors, lowering the costs for buyers and helping Roofstock bring about a better experience for the investor.  They are simply too well-funded and have too many brains working on bringing about improvement and innovation.  They are going to surpass other i-options for investors and providers alike, in my opinion, if they haven’t already.

REI Nation, LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Lane Kawaoka
    Pro Member
    • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Honolulu, HAWAII (HI)
    Replied

You need to run your own spreadsheet. Never take anyones proforma.

• Lane Kawaoka
  • User Stats

Votes
    Replied

DANGER DANGER DANGER!!!

Ponzi Scheme!

Please join me to suit Marcos and his companies! Let's put him in the jail same way Bernie Madoff did!!!

I lost money, hope you don't!

They already sent Default Letter!

Send review to every platform so other will not become victim.

Let word know about this PONZI Scheme! Go online let them know!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1Y7LfRejLpsRkruAA

User Stats

Votes
    Replied
    Quote from @Jason Pabon:

@Brad Eckhardt I know someone that's used both. Happy to send an intro.
    Roofstock offers a lease up guarantee and a 30 day money back guarantee on all properties. 

Have you tried considering both and seeing which one gives you a better experience? (assuming you're looking to build a portfolio)

@Jason Pabon been reading through the Norada and Roofstock options. If you're able, would love the intro!

User Stats

Votes
    Replied

see Facebook group:

Norada Capital Default Notice:

If you are one of the investors, please see Facebook page with agencies and links to file complaints !

User Stats

Votes
    Jay Hinrichs
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #3 All Forums Contributor
    • Lender
    • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
    Votes |
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #3 All Forums Contributor
    • Lender
    • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
    Replied
    Quote from @Chris Clothier:

@Brad Eckhardt

@Curt Davis did a nice job of differentiating the two companies and mentioning that third option of speaking with a company directly.  I wanted to add that I have been a skeptic of Roofstock in the past and voiced some concerns over process and control for buyers on that platform.  However, we’ve been consulting with Roofstock for a few months now and working closely with them on developing an API and I have to give them credit for making big strides in this space.  They are still a marketplace, but are working hard on transparency, data aggregation and reporting for buyers and trying to offer a nice alternative for investors who want to go the passive route.  Especially for those who are comfortable using technology to compare and review offerings to find the right property and manager.  Which, let’s face it, is the future.

I have spent a lot of time on the phone with them and they genuinely want to improve what they are offering for investors.  I was particularly impressed with their desire to separate opportunities for investors based on experience.  They recognize that some opportunities are better than others and price is not always the best differentiator and they learned that from their experiences operating over the last few years.  As someone who was skeptical, they impressed me enough to get off the sidelines and connect my IT team and head of our portfolio team to work with them.

One final divergence between the two particular companies is cost.  I’m not sure that either cost anything for the buyer, but there is a big difference in cost to a vendor that sells a home.  In some cases it may cost a vendor half as much to work with Roofstock as opposed to other promotional companies. That is a huge savings for home providers and allows for lower sales prices.  Those costs factor into the investment and I think technology is going to go a long way in reducing the costs for vendors, lowering the costs for buyers and helping Roofstock bring about a better experience for the investor.  They are simply too well-funded and have too many brains working on bringing about improvement and innovation.  They are going to surpass other i-options for investors and providers alike, in my opinion, if they haven’t already.

Chris I know this is an old thread however I did actually go to their Oakland CA office and get a tour and have a meeting with the owners/developers.  What I saw was a floor with about 20 to 25 folks at their cubes all crunching data to get base line information on markets etc. They do a lot of brokering between hedgefunds as in selling large portfolios.. Not sure if you are still engaged with them. I can just assume they have just tightened things up further.