Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Mikulik
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Vancouver, British Columbia
Votes |
Average Realtor Commission

Ashley Mikulik
  • Real Estate Consultant
Posted

Can anyone give me an idea of how much the average Realtor makes in commission for a property?

(I know it depends on how much the property sells for... but can you guys give me an approximate % of sale price or dollar value?)

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Lee
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied

My mother, who is a real estate agent, made 2.1 million during 2006 which was a good year. She was definitely a top realtor in the area and probably number one.

I would say between 5 - 9 % is the average for each house.

Account Closed
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied

In Tucson AZ, the ones I've been talking to recently--over the last several months-- want 6% and more on a SFR.
If there is to be more than one transaction (sell, then purchase) a few will consider dropping .25 or .5 but not much more. Here, it's not regulated by state law.
For sales, many agents have been insisting on 6 mo to year listing agreements, but are willing to negotiate somewhat.
ofgift

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied

6% seems customary. That gets split between buyers agent and sellers agent then each agent gives their broker some split.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Jacob
  • Bowie, MD
Votes |
  • Bowie, MD
Replied

In Maryland, many of the realtors that I talk to have been asking 6%, however as the times have gotten tougher for some, a few are starting to be very negotiable, accepting 4-5% (buyer and seller agent together)

User Stats

Votes
Josh Green
  • Financial Advisor
  • Tampa Area, FL
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Tampa Area, FL
Replied
Originally posted by Nebulus Lee:
My mother, who is a real estate agent, made 2.1 million during 2006 which was a good year. She was definitely a top realtor in the area and probably number one.

how did she do in 2008?

User Stats

Votes
Mark Yuschak
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grand Blanc, MI
Replied

6% is customary for the collective amount of commissions paid. That amount is typically split equally between the buyer and seller's agent broker. From there, it's whatever split the agent has with his/her broker, if any.

In Michigan, I've actually seen the contrary with commissions. The wise sellers are offering higher commissions to help their listing stand out from the thousands currently in the MLS.

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Lee
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied
Originally posted by Josh Green:
Originally posted by Nebulus Lee:

how did she do in 2008?

I'm sorry...it was 4 mil in 2006 and 2.1 in 2007. 2008, she was barely surviving this market but I don't know the exact figures for it. I'll look for it on the newspaper the next few weeks.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied

Made $4 million, or sold $4 million worth of properties? Assuming a four way comission split, with a net of 1.5% to each person, that means she sold something like $266 million in property. Even with million dollar properties, that's very impressive. That's one every work day.

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Lee
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • Virginia
Replied
Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
Made $4 million, or sold $4 million worth of properties? Assuming a four way comission split, with a net of 1.5% to each person, that means she sold something like $266 million in property. Even with million dollar properties, that's very impressive. That's one every work day.

No, I meant she sold 4 mil of properties. Hope to clarify that for you.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied
Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
Assuming a four way comission split, with a net of 1.5% to each person...

Just for reference (my wife is an agent for the purpose of handling our real estate investments), the typical agent will keep between 2.0% and 2.9% of their 3% commission, even after paying their broker.

Most major brokerages take 30% or less of the commission, and some take much less (my wife's brokerage, which has several thousand agents, only gets $40 per transaction).

Of course, there are desk fees, MLS fees, NAR fees, etc, but they can be pretty minimal as well if you're generating lots of transactions.

So, if you shop around, you can keep a good bit our your commission...

User Stats

Votes
Ashley Mikulik
  • Real Estate Consultant
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
Replied

Wow. thanks for all the input. I had no idea I would get so many people participating in this discussion.

You have all been a huge help! Thanks again!!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied

Customary commission in my area is 6%, 3 to the listing agent and 3 to the selling agent. Agents split commission with the broker responsible for them. That can be zero with a big selling/listing agent with actual flat fees paid, like 20K or what ever to 50% for beginning agents. Commonly in my area the agent split is 20/25% to the broker.

As pointed out, you'll have other expenses, Realtor dues, continuing education and your own business expenses...cards, flyers, adertising expenses, gas, auto, and office expenses, copiers, coffee fund and little things that they can dream up...etc.

Many net about 65 to 70% of the commission, lucky to hit 50% with all expenses, not counting advertsing, which is a variable cost with a listing. SOme brokers provide ads, some make you pay something, some have you pay it all.

In your area, look at the median home price as a basis, assume 6% and look at half of that as income, IMO. You need to sell a million to make a living, IMO.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin C.
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied

You'll need to sell multi-millions to make a decent living.

Assume you net out 2% of all your sales, with one million in sales, that gets you 20K - not much of a living there.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Balk
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Geneva, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Geneva, IL
Replied

I'm an agent and very surprised that agents are still getting 6% to split. In Chicago the market has pushed Realtors down to 5%. We offer huge bonuses to Realtors to get them into our homes. 5K bonuses on houses worth anywhere from 150-100k. This really gets the Realtors to show the property when there looking at a 7%+ commission just on there side. Obviously were flippers and Realtors so we don't pay a selling commission which helps us offer these huge rips. But buying agents are a huge resource that you can't get cheap on.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied
Originally posted by Bryan Balk:
We offer huge bonuses to Realtors to get them into our homes. 5K bonuses on houses worth anywhere from 150-100k. This really gets the Realtors to show the property when there looking at a 7%+ commission just on there side.

We do the same thing. On a typical $120K resale, we'll offer the selling agent 3% + $1500, which gets agents in this price range VERY excited...

Like you said, Buyer's Agents are worth every penny and not someplace you should skimp...