Quitting my job, moving to Florida to start out

Quitting my job, moving to Florida to start out

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes

So here's the deal. In a few months I will be quitting my job, moving back to Orlando (A market I know very well) and using a $300,000 investment to kick start my venture in real estate. A small portion of this money will be set aside to use to live on for 1 year. The rest will all go towards investing. I'm also partnering up with an old friend that has overseen over 60 flips, so I'm not going in completely blind here.

Ideally as soon or right before I move down there I would like to buy a multifamily home so that at the very least I could live in for free for the year. Problem here is I just quit my job so how would I possibly go about getting a loan on the property. I wouldn't want to use half my cash to buy the property outright because I would then be very limited on the investment side.

I fully understand that I am probably crazy but I know that the only way I'm going to really be successful with this is to dive in head first and focus every ounce of attention to it, meeting people, attending auctions, building my team, sending out letters and things of that nature.

I'm also planning on immediately getting my real estate license. One for finding and selling properties and two to learn the real estate market and also hopefully make a small income, but still have all the flexibility to work on my number one goal.

I am giving myself a year to fully dive into this and try to make it a success, and then after that period if I'm not where I wanted to be I'll go back to working full time but still invest on the side as much as possible.

What would be your strategy if you were going to do this yourself, or have you done something like this yourself?

I fully understand that it might be a huge mistake but it's a risk that I have to take, so I don't need anyone to tell me it's not a good idea because I know it's been done and been done successfully. I just need some solid advice from some experienced investors on how they would or have done this themselves.

Thanks!

2Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 13 votes
11y

First cut out the one year living expense as part of the investment capital, You will do much better if your hungry and only live on your returns. Then cut out the give yourself a year and if you dont make it you'll go back to your job. With that exit strategy in mind you have already lost. Then cut out the idea of buying a house to live in if there isnt any return on it. Try a duplex or better yet a quad. Then find one thing in real estate you want to learn and stay with it until your fed. I would go to your friend and ask him to be your mentor for a 50/50 split until you feel comfident to do it on your own. The best way I learned was to just pull the trigger on a deal and start being creative with the solutions thatr you will have to come up with. Good luck my friend

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    First cut out the one year living expense as part of the investment capital, You will do much better if your hungry and only live on your returns. Then cut out the give yourself a year and if you dont make it you'll go back to your job. With that exit strategy in mind you have already lost. Then cut out the idea of buying a house to live in if there isnt any return on it. Try a duplex or better yet a quad. Then find one thing in real estate you want to learn and stay with it until your fed. I would go to your friend and ask him to be your mentor for a 50/50 split until you feel comfident to do it on your own. The best way I learned was to just pull the trigger on a deal and start being creative with the solutions thatr you will have to come up with. Good luck my friend

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Douglas Higa, I did say that I want to buy a multi-family so that the rents from the other units would allow me to at the very least live for free. But once again, how would I get financing without a "job".

    With everything in real estate, the key is to always have an exit strategy, which is one reason I chose Orlando because I would have that option. But that would be a HUGE LAST resort. I do have to make this work! And I'm hungry to do it. The very last thing I want to do is go back to my job.

    The reason I am giving myself living expenses is because I am focusing on flipping properties to start out. Which will obviously take a little while to get off the ground.

    My friend and I are going in on this 50/50, and he's taking a huge risk with me and also leaving everything behind and moving to Florida so there's even more motivation for the need to succeed. He can last about 6 months without an income so we will need to move super fast. I figure if we can double my invested money after paying ourselves to survive we would then probably part ways and go at it alone so that there is more profit potential for each of us.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Awesome brother! 

  • Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    James, if you have not yet quit, DON'T! Find a property first, then secure a loan while employed. If you have the income, and debt to income to support this it will be considered a second home. I went through this with some out of town clients about a year ago, destroyed the deal. 

  • Alexa MichnaPro Member
    Wholesaler · Grand Island, FL · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Justin Schulte good call on getting a first loan with a job now!  If you have good credit it is a great time with interest rates to jump start some cash flow!  

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @james 

    @James Bynumcongrats on the decision. Why don't you get approved for the loan then quit your job? 

  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @James Bynum Good luck with your journey. What is your target area in Orlando? 

    Just a thought, also consider if you can tolerate living in the areas where you can find multi-families. A lot of the multi-families that I found which made sense cash flow wise were in areas I would personally not want to live. 

  • Curtis YoderPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 187 votes
    11y

    @James Bynum Good luck with your big decision! With only 300K you will have to be smart and make great decisions, I am sure you already know this. But if leveraged right you will have a great chance to get out of the JOB market forever! I admire your goal setting and look forward to hearing your success stories. If I can help or advise in any way feel free to reach out anytime. 

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    11y

    Hope to hear of you doing great things, my son is at UCF, lets have coffee next time I am up there?

  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Hi  James,

    I see no reason why you can not do well.  You do not mention whether you and your friend have a family?

    I think starting this out as a joint venture partnership really doubles your chance of being successful.  You will keep each other motivated, You will more then double your chnces of doing well if you do it right.

    Perhaps you can think about getting a part time job at a Home Depot kind of place.  That would also add to your information bank plus give you construction discounts?  Do either one of you have any construction skills?

    The fact that you know the area is a plus.

    The fact that your partner has been flipping is another plus.

    Getting your real estate license is a super idea.  Get much more active on BP  it will bring you customers.  Start a Florida blog.  Welcome all new Florida people in your area.  Get great bussiness cards.  Maybe you and your friend can start a PM bussiness to begin with?  You will figure something out

    Start  a diary right now.  

    A Diary of this complete change in your life.  We all want to hear about it

    we all wish you good fortune.

    If you have not quit your job see if you can get approved before you quit as many have suggested.  The idea of buying a multi faamily is perfect.  One way or another try to accomplish that.

    Join several Real estate groups down there and if you are not moving immediatly start both those things here.

    Condos are very cheap there?  Maybe a distressed Condo might work for your residence , You could live in it while you fix it up and then flip it/

    Keep us informed

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nick G.:

    @James Bynum Good luck with your journey. What is your target area in Orlando? 

    Just a thought, also consider if you can tolerate living in the areas where you can find multi-families. A lot of the multi-families that I found which made sense cash flow wise were in areas I would personally not want to live. 

    Great observation Nick. I have to make this point frequently to investors who are on the House Hacking kick. Make sure you buy a place that you feel good calling Home. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    Haven't read all the replies but if you need to maximize the returns on your money then
    you can rent a small place.  That will limit you initial capital investment.  Then keep investing and turning the money throughout the year.  This should more than cover your living expenses.  

    I agree with everyone else that you need to be hungry. There is no better motivation then sink or swim. It is unclear what the terms of the $300,000 investment are, or if it is a loan from a family member. Buy/Hold/Rent is a slow but steady way to seek ROI. It is better to do as you mentioned with the RE license that way you have access to the resources, systems, and can reduce your expenses when you purchase a home by not paying yourself the 3% commission. I am talking about the flipping strategy with your partner.

    As you know it is better to develop your target markets and work out from there.  I do Not see how you can fail with a good education basis, plan, motivation, and capital you mentioned.  I would recommend you eat, sleep, and live real estate until you have the knowledge and confidence that people are asking you for guidance.

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    11y

    I'd agree, start using whatever vacation you have and go down there a few times and find a property.  Get it all done before you quit.  Also, is it such a bad thing to get a job when you're down there.  You can quit shortly after when you have enough cash flow to pay expenses, then that gets used as your job.  Even if it's for a year or 2, is that a bad thing? 

    The flip side is you have enough cash.  Depending on where you go in Florida, with $300k you could flip several properties at once (or whatever your comfortable with) and build up even more cash.  No one will care about your job if you are bring a lot of cash to the table.  Also, the bank may not care too much about the job if you are putting a significant amount of cash down (50%+).  When a bank knows you are more vested than they are, they know the risk is much lower that you'll walk away than if you only did a lot less down.

    But personally, I think the best move is to buy the MFR (maybe 4-plex) with your current job where you have established employment history, salary, etc. Put as little down as the bank will let you. Once you have it, quit, move down there, rent the other units, and then put your cash to work.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @James Bynum Congrats and good luck! I've done something similar and you can read the story here... http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/7103-skipping-t...

    While in Orlando connect with @Andrew Davis. I've done some deal with him and I'm sure he can help you out!

     Thanks, I have actually read your post, I came across it while doing research your an inspiration!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Justin Schulte:

    James, if you have not yet quit, DON'T! Find a property first, then secure a loan while employed. If you have the income, and debt to income to support this it will be considered a second home. I went through this with some out of town clients about a year ago, destroyed the deal. 

     Thanks, I didn't even think about getting a loan now while I have the job, I didn't know if I have to disclose my plans on quitting or not to them. The only problem is, I've only been at my current job for 6 months, and although I have tended to move around a lot I haven't gone without a job for more than 2 weeks, always just time to move. I've never been fired or laid off so I'm hoping they can factor that into their decision along with my 740 credit score, and $40,000 / year current income.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Tumbarello:

    Hope to hear of you doing great things, my son is at UCF, lets have coffee next time I am up there?

     Sound great Jeff, I should be moving down around December, right now I'm just waiting on my partner to fix up and sell his current home so he will have some funds to live without an income for a few months. I then plan on moving down a couple months before him to start laying the rest of the groundwork that I can't do while I'm still out of state.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    11y

    @James Bynum I love the plan!! 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Barbara G.:

    Hi  James,

    I see no reason why you can not do well.  You do not mention whether you and your friend have a family?

    I think starting this out as a joint venture partnership really doubles your chance of being successful.  You will keep each other motivated, You will more then double your chnces of doing well if you do it right.

    Perhaps you can think about getting a part time job at a Home Depot kind of place.  That would also add to your information bank plus give you construction discounts?  Do either one of you have any construction skills?

    The fact that you know the area is a plus.

    The fact that your partner has been flipping is another plus.

    Getting your real estate license is a super idea.  Get much more active on BP  it will bring you customers.  Start a Florida blog.  Welcome all new Florida people in your area.  Get great bussiness cards.  Maybe you and your friend can start a PM bussiness to begin with?  You will figure something out

    Start  a diary right now.  

    A Diary of this complete change in your life.  We all want to hear about it

    we all wish you good fortune.

    If you have not quit your job see if you can get approved before you quit as many have suggested.  The idea of buying a multi faamily is perfect.  One way or another try to accomplish that.

    Join several Real estate groups down there and if you are not moving immediatly start both those things here.

    Condos are very cheap there?  Maybe a distressed Condo might work for your residence , You could live in it while you fix it up and then flip it/

    Keep us informed

     Thanks for your input Barbara! Both of us are single so we don't have to worry about supporting a family so we can live on Ramen noodles for awhile.

    I don't have construction skills which is my I'm bringing on my friend, he has extensive construction experience and will be fairly hands on doing a lot of the work and sweat equity on the flips as we start out. I will also be there as much as possible and try to pick up some skills myself while we work on these homes.

    Condos aren't ridiculously expensive but they aren't "Cheap" as in like $30,000. Most I've seen in decent areas are around $60+ along with $250/month condo fees. So I wouldn't want to use up that much of my cash for something I will turn a profit on immediately, although I guess if it weren't in absolute horrid shape, we could do house hacking so that would take care of not having a mortgage, and just try to find another property right before the first one is ready to sell. Something to think about.

    I did just start a blog here on BP, so check it out. I'll try to keep it updated with anything new that happens!

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/7157-the-scary-...

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nick G.:

    @James Bynum Good luck with your journey. What is your target area in Orlando? 

    Just a thought, also consider if you can tolerate living in the areas where you can find multi-families. A lot of the multi-families that I found which made sense cash flow wise were in areas I would personally not want to live. 

     Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out right now. Maybe I could just find a large home somewhere and rent the extra rooms out. I've spent most of my life with roommates so I really wouldn't mind collecting some cash to help live a little cheaper.

    I'm still working on finding my target area right now. I know the best way to flip is find a certain section and stick to it, and learn everything you can about it. I used to live in Lake Mary, and really like the area around that like Longwood or Sanford (The good parts). I think the good parts in Orlando may be out of my budget for now. I'm really hoping to sell flipped homes in the $200,000 to $300,000 range.

  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    Are you and your partner doing any buy and Hold properties.  A BRRR??

    Both of youshould plan on how you are going to handle any disagreements.  this is liek a Marriage, this partnership and you have to work at it.  The last thing you want is for it to fall apart before you both make money and can go on alone, if that's what you want

    Another thing we did not mention is if you get a Real estate licesnse you will get 3% as a sellers fee and that could really make a  big differnence in your profit.

    You are both young and now is the time to do it when you are not responsible for a family and can camp out if you must do that.  As soon as you start networking when you are in Florida ll kinds of deals will present themselves

  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @James Bynum Yeah anything to offset living costs is a smart move until you are fully on your feet investment wise. 

    Just network as much as you can and talk to people about what you want to do. I met some serious investors from a few batches of yellow letters. 

    The area around Lake Mary is nice, I agree if you can really narrow in on your market its easy to know the deals when you see them. The links below are useful for finding info on properties you might be interested in. 

    http://www.scpafl.org/

    https://www.ocpafl.org/searches/parcelsearch.aspx

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Barbara G.:

    Are you and your partner doing any buy and Hold properties.  A BRRR??

    Both of youshould plan on how you are going to handle any disagreements.  this is liek a Marriage, this partnership and you have to work at it.  The last thing you want is for it to fall apart before you both make money and can go on alone, if that's what you want

    Another thing we did not mention is if you get a Real estate licesnse you will get 3% as a sellers fee and that could really make a  big differnence in your profit.

    You are both young and now is the time to do it when you are not responsible for a family and can camp out if you must do that.  As soon as you start networking when you are in Florida ll kinds of deals will present themselves

    I am very interested in the BRRRR strategy, but we both agree that we don't want to make that a part of our partnership (Obviously if a property isn't selling and we need to turn it into a rental, then we would have to re-evaluate a few things). I have been working on the exit strategy for us because the last thing I want to do is to break up a great friendship. My plan right now is to flip together and once we can get enough flips per year that would give us a decent wage to live off of (IE. $50,000 a year each) anything after that would be added to the investment portfolio and once we doubled my initial $300,000 investment we could re-evaluate and possibly split the portfolio at that point and go our separate ways, then I would keep flipping and use the other half of the profits that normally would go to him to put towards building a rental portfolio. That's my vision so far, and he's on board with it.

  • Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2015 · 874 posts · 218 votes
    11y

    I think you should revisit the plan to get a job when you get to Orlando. You certainly can shop or find a multi family to live in and work at the same time.    If you get a new  job, and  with your job history from your previous job  perhaps you can get mortgage on a duplex or quad that you want to house hack in.  You can also rent a room(s) in your apartmet in the multi house.  All the time you will be looking for your first investment buy.  In the evening you can attend Real estate clubs or seminars (without paying for any "courses"  You will meet and greet the Orlando Real Estare community and network.

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Barbara G.:

    I think you should revisit the plan to get a job when you get to Orlando. You certainly can shop or find a multi family to live in and work at the same time.    If you get a new  job, and  with your job history from your previous job  perhaps you can get mortgage on a duplex or quad that you want to house hack in.  You can also rent a room(s) in your apartmet in the multi house.  All the time you will be looking for your first investment buy.  In the evening you can attend Real estate clubs or seminars (without paying for any "courses"  You will meet and greet the Orlando Real Estare community and network.

    I appreciate your insight and I fully understand where your coming from but my industry doesn't allow me the luxury of getting off at a time that would allow me to attend those meetings or auctions so my only option at this point is to quit and sink or swim.

    The only shifts that are a possibility are dayside shifts that go from 10am to usually around 8pm or later or nighside from 2pm to around midnight or later. And since news is 24/7 I am always on call and at the mercy of anything and everything that can happen while I'm not at work. If I was in most other fields I would be off by 5 or 5:30 and could do those things.

    I'm not only sink or swim for myself but I have the responsibility to my partner to spend every second I can trying to make both of us money. He's taking a huge gamble with me and only has the resources to survive around 6 months.

    My plan is to do everything I absolutely can do right now, and then move down about 2 months before my partner is ready to move down. That way I can use that 2 months to find that first property.

    This is what I need at this point in my life, I have to succeed, there are no other options and I thrive on pressure. It's a great motivator.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.