Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$69.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Khayla Williams
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Getting a personal loan for my first investment property

Khayla Williams
  • New to Real Estate
Posted

Hi everyone! I'm looking to purchase my first investment property in the Columbus or Cleveland area.

I don't have money for the down payment so would it be okay to get a personal loan? I want to do long-term rentals to section 8. 

Also with the brrrr strategy will I get a DSCR loan to pay back the personal loan?

I am just starting out so any help will be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Khayla Williams

I strongly recommend against borrowing 100% for a property

There is significant risk in owning real estate including section 8 and maintaining the home in a certain condition and if you do t have the funds for those repairs you could lose it all.

I always recommend people budget and save enough for a down payment and reserves before getting into their first property. It doesn’t matter if you start at 22 or 42 there is time which is your best friend in real estate to grow your net worth

• Chris Seveney
  • User Stats

Votes
    Remington Lyman
    Agent
    #2 Classifieds Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Agent
    #2 Classifieds Contributor
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied
    Quote from @Khayla Williams:

Hi everyone! I'm looking to purchase my first investment property in the Columbus or Cleveland area.

I don't have money for the down payment so would it be okay to get a personal loan? I want to do long-term rentals to section 8. 

Also with the brrrr strategy will I get a DSCR loan to pay back the personal loan?

You need one of three 3 to invest. Time, Money, or experience.

Sounds like you do not have money. I assume you do not have experience, but correct me if my assumption is wrong.

So time! Start cold calling and find an amazing deal. Then call me and we can partner on it

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

PropStream logo
    PropStream
    |
    Sponsored
    Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
    Anthony L Amos Jr
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied

There are lending options for this, but I don't recommend them for a newer investor. They are usually high interest short term loans that will have to be included in your analysis of the property to ensure you're making a good decision. 

Partnering with an experienced investor is best when you don't have money and experience. You can find the deal and work out an agreement with the experienced investor.

User Stats

Votes
    Nathan Gesner
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Cody, WY
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Broker
    • Cody, WY
    ModeratorReplied

Lenders typically won't allow you to borrow money for the downpayment. That's what everyone was doing 20 years ago and it resulted in a housing collapse.

If you borrow 100%, you are over-leveraged and at risk of failure. And if that property fails, it puts your personal finances at risk, as well.

Increase earnings, reduce expenses, save money, invest. That's the formula for success.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
    Jonathan Greene
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #4 All Forums Contributor
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Mendham, NJ
    Votes |
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #4 All Forums Contributor
    • Real Estate Consultant
    • Mendham, NJ
    Replied

1. Never mention Columbus in an open forum. If you do, 13 years from now, you will still be getting replies here about working with someone in that market.

2. If you don't have enough money for a down payment, there is no way you should be buying a home. And don't look at downpayment assistance programs because they all have a catch. Just earn and save until you do.

You are in a rush to own double debt, and that's not a wise decision.

User Stats

Votes
    Jimmy Lieu
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Votes |
    Agent
    • Real Estate Agent
    • Columbus, OH
    Replied

Hi Khayla! Down payment isn't the only expense you're looking at. It can put you at a higher risk of foreclosure if you face an unexpected vacancy or repairs. My advice is to try to increase your current income, focus on saving, and build your credit. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

User Stats

Votes
    Nicholas L.
    Pro Member
    #1 Out of State Investing Contributor
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pittsburgh
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #1 Out of State Investing Contributor
    • Flipper/Rehabber
    • Pittsburgh
    Replied

@Khayla Williams

can you save up until you have enough to house hack, and start with a house hack instead?  not everyone's lifestyle or family situation permit but it's a great way to get started.

and i agree with the others... 100% leverage is very risky.  the market is pretty unforgiving right now.

• Nicholas L.