Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Charlene Isoh
  • London, UK
Votes |
Looking to rebuild my team

Charlene Isoh
  • London, UK
Posted Jul 29 2024, 10:53

Hi all, I currently have one real estate property in Cleveland Ohio (purchased in 2019) but have largely been out of the real estate game since COVID reared it's ugly head. I am looking to gradually start buildling my team again and would appreciate solid references  for the following specifically in the Cleveland, Ohio area :

- Investor friendly real estate agent 

- small bank lenders/ private lenderes

- inspectors

- appraisers

- contractors 

Thanks in advance, and happy hunting :)

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 29 2024, 12:34
Hello Charlene, great to see you're back in the market.  Feel free to send me a message if you would like me to send over my referral list.  I can definitely help add and strengthen your team with some great contacts I've made in this market over the years.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 29 2024, 20:20

Hey I Charlene, it's great that you're jumping back into the game! Cleveland is a good market to be in. What sparked your interested to dive back into real estate? 

I think the most efficient way to build your team is by finding a solid investment focused agent and then having them guide you to the right connections for the other contacts needed. 

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Jul 30 2024, 04:31

@Charlene Isoh
You won't need an appraiser unless you want one done. The bank will order an appraisal as a part of the loan process. 

User Stats

Votes
Jake Forehand
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 30 2024, 05:46
Quote from @Charlene Isoh:

Hi all, I currently have one real estate property in Cleveland Ohio (purchased in 2019) but have largely been out of the real estate game since COVID reared it's ugly head. I am looking to gradually start buildling my team again and would appreciate solid references  for the following specifically in the Cleveland, Ohio area :

- inspectors

- appraisers

- contractors 

Hey Charlene, welcome back! Happy to send over a rolodex of contacts that you can reach out to.

User Stats

Votes
Min Zhang
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
#3 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Aug 1 2024, 06:01

Hey Charlene, glad to see you’re back and looking at properties in Cleveland! I love this market for its cash flow potential. I can send you a list of contacts in Ohio to help you build your team. Just let me know how I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Regina Blake
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Aug 2 2024, 04:28

Hi, welcome back! Yes, investing in Ohio's real estate market that is a really great move. All my clients would agree from all over the world.  Thanks for reaching out and feel free to reach out with any questions. Best wishes!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 7 2024, 11:39
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Charlene, glad to see you’re back and looking at properties in Cleveland! I love this market for its cash flow potential. I can send you a list of contacts in Ohio to help you build your team. Just let me know how I can help!

Hey Min, 
Can you send me a list as well?
Thank you,

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 08:14

- Investor friendly real estate agent    IF   YOUR cash you do not need a realtor 

-private lenders   Happy to help

- inspectors       Why? Your team walks it. I have never hired an inspector and have done 100s and 100s 

- appraisers  again    NO need, UNLESS your getting a loan then the bank will bring their own 

- contractors      Happy to help 

Hi have been buying and selling there for many years all while OOS. Currently doing 3 renos and 2 rental turns .I know many from OOS and out of the country doing the same.  Happy to help 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:16
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Min, 
Thank you,

So how many props do you have there ? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:25
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Min, 
Thank you,

3 for now

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 10 2024, 05:38
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Min, 
Thank you,

3 for now

I have many contractors and PM in place, happy to help 

User Stats

Votes
Charlene Isoh
  • London, UK
Votes |
  • London, UK
Replied Aug 10 2024, 05:44
Quote from @David Leggett:
Hello Charlene, great to see you're back in the market.  Feel free to send me a message if you would like me to send over my referral list.  I can definitely help add and strengthen your team with some great contacts I've made in this market over the years.

Hey David thanks for your reply I will send you a private message

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Charlene Isoh
  • London, UK
Votes |
  • London, UK
Replied Aug 10 2024, 05:45
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Min, 
Thank you,

3 for now

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply the property management company is the one I have been struggling with finding  the most so would be super helpful if you had any strong recommendations I could vet 

User Stats

Votes
Charlene Isoh
  • London, UK
Votes |
  • London, UK
Replied Aug 10 2024, 05:57
Quote from @Jake Forehand:

- inspectors

- appraisers

- contractors 

Hey Charlene, welcome back! Happy to send over a rolodex of contacts that you can reach out to.

Hi Jake! Thanks for replying so promptly. That would be super helpful particularly in the property management area (the past 2 companies have not been positive). 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Aug 10 2024, 08:22
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Mina Tawfik:
Quote from @Min Zhang:

Hey Min, 
Thank you,

3 for now

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply the property management company is the one I have been struggling with finding  the most so would be super helpful if you had any strong recommendations I could vet 

You need contractors as well TRUST me the ones you have spoken with and think they are what you need, 99.9999% of the time just kiss your money goodby, I am not speculating.  I know many investors from overseas that have lost 100s of thousands of dollars. I have done 100s of deals out there and I'm aware of almost every PM co.,I  have seen it all. Happy to help

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Aug 11 2024, 11:02

@Charlene Isoh a great PMC will lead you to all the others!

Recommend exploring as many sources as possible to get referrals AND cross-reference them to get as much accurate information as possible.

Check out NARPM.com, BP’s Property Manager Finder (BiggerPockets: The Real Estate Investing Social Network), etc.

Also, encourage you to learn from the mistakes of others - by reading posts here on BiggerPockets about owners not having their expectations met by their current Property Management Company.

To avoid going through the same poor experience, keep reading.

Even if someone gives you a referral here, do NOT make the mistake of assuming that the PMC will meet your expectations, just because they met the expectations of the referral source.

In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make when selecting a Property Management Company (PMC) is ASSUMING instead of CONFIRMING.

It's often a case of not doing enough research, as they don't know what they don't know!

Owners mistakenly ASSUME all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, so price is the only differentiator – so, they often select the first PMC they call or that calls them back!

So, the first question they usually ask a PMC is about fees - instead of asking about services and HOW those services are executed.

EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!

This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.

The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!

A well written management contract should clearly spell out what is expected of both the PMC and the owner, to PROTECT both and avoid misunderstandings. Why do you think purchase contracts are so long and have such small print?

We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.

EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!

P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊