Votes
Danielle Ronquillo
Pro Member
Votes |
Choosing an out of state property

Danielle Ronquillo
Pro Member
Posted Jul 9 2024, 13:11

Hi! I'm in the market for out-of-state properties. I cannot househack due to family reasons and I like the school district that I live in. Alternatively, I can look into househacking in my neighborhood, but everything is kind of expensive here and I don't have any dilapidated homes to renovate. I'm a new investor and I also try to stay away from any investment that requires major renovations at this time.

I have been looking into getting an investment property in Indiana, but undecided between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. I searched through BiggerPockets "Find Markets" tab and the blogs but haven't found any info yet. Does anyone have any stats about how rentals perform in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis? How are most investors strategizing there (fix and flip or buy and rent)? 

I really want to buy and rent LTR.

User Stats

Votes
Lindsey Mannix
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Woodland Park, CO
Replied Jul 9 2024, 19:05

Hi Danielle,

I'm originally from Southern IN, near Louisville, KY and have a great agent I work with there for my LTRs there. I'd be happy to connect you with her OR my sister lives in Indy and we have some mutual friends, one that is an agent, that I can connect you with. Let me know and happy to connect! BP also has an agents tab where you can search for an agent in your area that you're looking.

~ Lindsey

User Stats

Votes
Danielle Ronquillo
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 9 2024, 19:10

Thanks! I’d be happy to connect with you and your friend!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jul 10 2024, 10:17

Of course I am partial to the Kansas City Market. Midwestern markets are great. If you can't find what you are looking for, look for another market. 

Legendary Apartment Brokers Logo

User Stats

Votes
Gloria N Gear
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Indianapolis IN
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Indianapolis IN
Replied Jul 11 2024, 05:25

Hi Danielle,

I live in Indianapolis and grew up near Ft Wayne.  I have 5 rentals currently in Indy and have not had trouble with vacancies on any of them.  I also work with OOS investors and have a list of property managers that you can call and get information from as well.  Would be happy to hop on a call with you.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Scarpero
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 08:12

Dayton, Ohio is also a great market. I have a lot of connections if you need an intro

• Lender Virginia (#1674385), Arizona (#1674385), Tennessee (#1674385), Alabama (#1674385), Florida (#1674385), Texas (#1674385), Indiana (#1674385), Kentucky (#1674385), and Ohio (#1674385)

Home Loans by Carlos Scarpero, Powered by Edge Home Finance, NMLS #1674385 Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#4 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#4 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 12:15
Quote from @Danielle Ronquillo:

Hi! I'm in the market for out-of-state properties. I cannot househack due to family reasons and I like the school district that I live in. Alternatively, I can look into househacking in my neighborhood, but everything is kind of expensive here and I don't have any dilapidated homes to renovate. I'm a new investor and I also try to stay away from any investment that requires major renovations at this time.

I have been looking into getting an investment property in Indiana, but undecided between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. I searched through BiggerPockets "Find Markets" tab and the blogs but haven't found any info yet. Does anyone have any stats about how rentals perform in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis? How are most investors strategizing there (fix and flip or buy and rent)? 

I really want to buy and rent LTR.

Hi Danielle! You may want to look into Columbus OH. I actually moved here from Portland OR and purchased my own rentals - all clean BRRRRs and hit the 1% rule. A lot of my out-of-state clients have successfully purchased their own rentals as well at a very cheap price point, around $120k to $180k. Additionally, the rules are also very landlord-friendly so you won't have to worry about evictions taking as long as 12 months because they're very quick here. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#2 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 14:15

Hey Danielle, are you strictly looking at those two markets? What has you attracted to these two markets specifically? 

Do you know whether you're looking for appreciation or cash-flow? 

If you are still open to looking at other markets.. Columbus, Ohio could be a great option to consider if you're leaning towards appreciation. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing heavy in our area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the area.