Actual Cash Value v. Functional Replacement Cost Insurance?

Actual Cash Value v. Functional Replacement Cost Insurance?

Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes

Hello everyone,

I am under contract on my first long term buy and hold rental. It is a 4BD/1.5BR SFH in Auburn Maine. I am paying $113,000 and will be replacing the roof on it this spring. Everything is currently functioning in the home but the furnace, roof, hot water heater etc. are beyond their expected life.

When I called Progressive, they were able to offer me coverage from two different underwriters and I'm torn on which to go with. 

1. Foremost insurance (Annual Cost: $986): $2500 deductible (will be changing to $1,000 per lender requirments); $180,000 functional replacement cost; $300,000 personal liability; $5,000 Sewer, drain, or mold mitigation ($250 deductible). The original quote with all the bells and whistles was $1,346. My primary home is worth twice this and insures for $614 - so the $1,346 was shocking. I took off everything I could and the $986 was as low as I could get the price. 

2. American Modern (Annual Cost: $677); Actual Cash value is market value minus land value; I took my purchase price of $113,000 subtracted the land value of $14,600 and came up with $98,400. $1,000 deductible; mold/remediaton - $5,000; personal liability $300,000; loss of rent - up to $9800. 

The main piece I am confused about it is what would I actually get if I went with option 2. If the house burned down then I would get $98,400 minus depreciation. Since houses in this area really don't depreciate, I believe they are talking about the individual components of the property, e.g. If the roof is over 20 years old then its worth $0 because its beyond its expected life? 

I would love some clarity on what a home built in 1867 with older but functional components could really get in the event that it was a total loss. Would my $98,400 have $10K taken off for the roof, $10K taken off for the old furnace, $2K taken off for the water heater etc... ? One insurance agent told me a cash value policy is useless while another said its a popular choice for investment properties. 

In the event of a total loss, I would really just be concerned with paying off the mortgage and moving on so the actual cash value sounds like it might be a good option if I could understand what I would realistically get considering the "market value minus depreciation" wording of this? 

Thank you!

Sarah M

2Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 125 posts · 51 votes
5y

@Sarah Msuya

Hey Sarah,

I’m a commercial insurance agent with experience selling both. Functional replacement cost is better and will cover the amount to rebuild the structure. ACV will not. The reason it is functional is because the building requiring it are over 100 years old and we can’t indemnify antique wood frame. So we do our best to make it functional*. Sometimes if you provide proof of renovation we can bump it to full replacement cost. Ironically i’m writing this as I’m inputting older rental dwellings in an insurance rater haha

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Unfortunately I don't know a lot about insurance, but being from Auburn, let me know if you need any renters. I have people reaching out to me all the time looking for good rents. Best of luck on this transaction. 

    Josh

  • Realtor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 125 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Msuya

    Hey Sarah,

    I’m a commercial insurance agent with experience selling both. Functional replacement cost is better and will cover the amount to rebuild the structure. ACV will not. The reason it is functional is because the building requiring it are over 100 years old and we can’t indemnify antique wood frame. So we do our best to make it functional*. Sometimes if you provide proof of renovation we can bump it to full replacement cost. Ironically i’m writing this as I’m inputting older rental dwellings in an insurance rater haha

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    I would be careful about the depreciation. Every house will depreciate. It isn't the market value, but mostly goes off the age of the home, and what percent your are insuring it at compared to replacement value. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Thomas

    Thank you for your response! Do you know how an insurance company would "depreciate" a house based on the ACV insurance model? For example, if the roof is past its expected life but still functional, would the insurance not pay anything for the roof? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Josh Cousineau  

    Thank you! I am doing room rentals for the time being. Do you have any insight on what people are typically paying for room rentals in a SFH? They are all very large rooms.

    And/or do you have any resources that give estimates on room rentals? I've only found some for whole rentals and they're really only accurate for the smaller rentals e.g. studio, 1-2 bedroom ... 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Tony Wilcox

    Thank you for your response! Do you know how an insurance company would "depreciate" a house based on the ACV insurance model? For example, if the roof is past its expected life but still functional, would the insurance not pay anything for the roof?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Msuya

    I’ve done ok with AM cash value policies. Paid for a couple of roofs but had to come out of pocket about 1500 on the last one I did. It had three layers of shingles and it was at least five years past expected life.

    I don’t use insurance except for the big stuff so I enjoy the reduced premiums. And almost all of my properties are so old they cost way more to rebuild than they are worth as is.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Jason C Thanks - thats very helpful! I am only into this for $113,000 aqnd realize its a very old house. I wouldn't be expecting to use insurance unless it was a complete disaster, e.g. the whole thing burned to the ground. Therefore, I was kind of thinking it might make more sense to pay lower premiums and just get the insurance required to satisfy the bank mortgage without going for for replacement coverage for $300-$400 more a year ... 

    Usually I'm a good decision maker, but this one is tripping me up for some reason. I mainly don't understand how intense an insurance underwriter would be when determining market value minue depreciation in the event of a loss. 

  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2020 · 177 posts · 76 votes
    5y

    Each carrier is a bit different, but if the roof is a 30 year roof and it needs replaced at 20 years, you'd roughly get 2/3 minus your deductible paid out to you. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Msuya:

    @Jason C Thanks - thats very helpful! I am only into this for $113,000 aqnd realize its a very old house. I wouldn't be expecting to use insurance unless it was a complete disaster, e.g. the whole thing burned to the ground. Therefore, I was kind of thinking it might make more sense to pay lower premiums and just get the insurance required to satisfy the bank mortgage without going for for replacement coverage for $300-$400 more a year ... 

    Usually I'm a good decision maker, but this one is tripping me up for some reason. I mainly don't understand how intense an insurance underwriter would be when determining market value minue depreciation in the event of a loss. 

     The risk is you end up with a burned down building and a lot. The insurance money may cover the loan and if you are lucky there is enough money to remove the debris and fill the hole. (You can't just leave a burned down building without cleaning up). I had an 1880 building and I went the cheap route. Definitely some risk, but it is rare for a property to completely burn down, so I rolled the dice. I did have a major fire in that property and it could have burned down. Insurance covered everything minus deductible. Damage was around $10K for a minor grease fire in the kitchen. Fire didn't do much damage, but after the fire department dumped water and took axes to everything, it was pretty bad.

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Joe Splitrock

    I appreciate the real life example as I was thinking basically the same thing ...

    After some more reading and talking with my loan officer I came to learn that Actual Cash Value is not even an option if I want a loan through this local Savings Bank. 

    My lender seemed to think this was the case with major banks and many local savings/credit unions ... 

    When I think about it, that certainly makes sense for them to be protecting their risk. 

    I'm wondering if those who were able to get ACV policies were using hard/private money or their own HELOCs etc. vs traditional fixed rate loans from local establishments. Was your ACV policy secured by a traditional personal mortgage? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Tony Wilcox

    Okay thanks Tony!

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Msuya speak to your local insurance agent or broker to understand exactly what you are getting and what you need. Most times insurance only kicks in when damage occurs not normal wear and tear or not working because it’s past it’s useful life

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Realistically, almost everybody uses Replacement cost and not ACV. Many lenders also require RC to protect their investment esp if it's rental. When shopping the insurance I found the total cost actually is not too different between ACV and RV.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Msuya

    Hi Sarah,

    Good question,

    First, love love Portland, ME... so excited to visit when this pandemic is over :)

    In terms of insurance... yes most banks require replacement value to ensure that their loan doesn’t get wiped out. It’s also good for you so that if there is a fire, you don’t lose your investment.

    But I think more importantly, is how you’re thinking about risk.

    Insurance is all about evaluating and hedging risk. If you're trying to be a long term investor then you're trying to minimize risk to maximize risk-adjusted returns... what I'm trying to say is that the main things that can completely blow up an investment in rental properties are relatively limited if you've done good underwriting of the property. Catastrophic damage and liability are the major risks ( I guess maybe a pandemic lol). This is why IMHO paying an extra few hundred dollars annually extra for solid insurance along with high liability coverage and maybe an umbrella policy ( if the property is personally owned or expensive enough to be more than liability limits in LLC) is worth it.

    Finally, I also think that a solid insurance agent ( while not as useful for primary residence) is very valuable for rental property... they can inform you about many various options and can offer access to coverage that can truly save you in a pinch such as cyberattack liability coverage.

    Just food for thought.

    Happy investing !

  • Real Estate Coach · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2015 · 431 posts · 235 votes
    5y

    (I own a restoration company and work with depreciation all the time.) Don't think of the house as a single unit but as a bunch of parts. Each element (roof, flooring, paint, cabinets, etc) depreciate at different rates over their expected life (much like cost-segregated depreciation in a multi-family complex if you are familiar with that). So, the only way to answer that question is to do a rather involved analysis or suffer a loss (not recommended (-: ) In the event of the loss, you would get the value of each element at it's current remaining life-- ex. suppose flooring is a 20-year component and it's 10 years old, you would get 50%. If framing is a 100 year element and you are 10 years in, you would get 90%

    I think @Ryan Thomas has good advice above. Replacement costs a bit more, but totally worth it in the event of a los. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.