Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Insurance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Jacobs
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Homeowners Insurance on a Real Estate Investment Property from a Lender’s Perspective

John Jacobs
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted

Re: Homeowners Insurance on a Real Estate Investment Property from a Lender’s Perspective

I am a private money lender.  Amongst other things I always instruct the insurance agent that the property will be vacant. I always request a Builder’s Risk Policy.

My question has to do with what I need to tell the Insurance Agent in terms of how much property insurance I want.

Here is an actual deal that I lent on. I lent $225,000 of which $185,000 was for the purchase of the property and $40,000 is going toward renovations.

As a lender I just want to get back my loan amount back (in this instance $225,000) if there is a total loss with the property.

I have seen where a lender tells the insurance agent how much property insurance he/she wants based on a price per square foot calculation.

On the other hand I have also seen where a lender tells the insurance agent that the amount of property insurance should be the loan amount in this instance $225,000. I myself have done this and when I have the insurance agent comes back to me to ask me how much the purchase price is and how much in renovations are.  I provide to the insurance agent the breakdown in this instance $185,000 (purchase) and $40,000 (renovations).

How should I best communicate to the insurance agent how much property insurance that I want (and communicate it in such a way that they he/she clearly understands)?

Thank You

John

Loading replies...