How do you know if a property has been inherited?

How do you know if a property has been inherited?

Flipper/Rehabber 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 37 posts 路 7 votes

Hi everyone! I was driving around a neighborhood in Phoenix, AZ. I found a decent amount of properties that could be potential leads. However, there is one that stands out a lot to me. It has boarded windows, the mailbox has been nailed, has normal wear, but nothing to big and looks like it could be a great deal. I looked into the home and found the owner using my local tax assessor's website. I proceeded and looked up the owner on white pages, and figured out that he was really old mid 90's. So, I took a yellow letter to the home and put it on their door since the mailbox was nailed. Got no response, did it again two weeks later and again no response. I asked a neighbor if there was anyone living in that property or what was the deal with it. They let me know that they have not seen the original owner in a while, but other people had moved a sofa in a few days before.

How would I know if this property has been inherited? There is also no other mailing address for the homeowner when I look on my tax assessor's website. Is there any tips or tricks that have worked in the past for you guys?

- Thank You!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor 路 Melbourne, FL 路 Member since 2011 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
9y
Search the legal news site and look for the names of the deceased, and in particular, the personal representative. This person, who may be court appointed if there are no heirs, is the person who can make decisions regarding the disposal of a property. The county probate court may have more information. In the records, we see a D.C. For "death certificate" whereas a QCD is a quit claim deed or a WD for a warranty deed. In one case, we bought a probate through the MLS and has to present our offer in front of the court. More recently we inherited a house and had to record the death certificate in order to get the deed. There was only one heir and it went very smoothly. I am surprised we didn't get any mail from other investors. 馃
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor 路 Peoria, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Victor Barboza

    Does the owner own any other properties? If so, you could try mailing those properties. If the property was legally deeded to another person, it'd show on the assessor's website. Only other thing I could think of would be enlisting the help of a skip tracing service to get more info on the owner. Best of luck with you search. Hope you land the deal.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 37 posts 路 7 votes
    9y

    @Bob Okenwa

    Thanks Bob. So, I just went more in depth with this property. The owners do have a PO Box that was also listed on White Pages, next to the address for it says "March 1988-May 2017". For both the listed owners of the property it also says deceased. However, both on the assessor's website and on white pages it still says that they are still the owners. There are other people that appear that says "ALSO LINKED TO". Neither of the listed people share last names with either of the owners also. Any recommendations?

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor 路 Peoria, AZ 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Victor Barboza

    It may take a while for the assessor to update the property information as it is probably going through probate now if the owner is indeed deceased. You can try doing a probate search on the property. If it leads to a lead, tread lightly. You don't want to seem like a vulture swooping in over a grieving family.

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Phoenix, AZ 路 Member since 2017 路 37 posts 路 7 votes
    9y

    @Bob Okenwa

    I will try the probate search. I'm also going to send a yellow letter to the PO Box that was provided. But I definitely understand, I will be as non-aggressive as possible with the family. Thanks a lot Bob!

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Melbourne, FL 路 Member since 2011 路 3k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y
    Search the legal news site and look for the names of the deceased, and in particular, the personal representative. This person, who may be court appointed if there are no heirs, is the person who can make decisions regarding the disposal of a property. The county probate court may have more information. In the records, we see a D.C. For "death certificate" whereas a QCD is a quit claim deed or a WD for a warranty deed. In one case, we bought a probate through the MLS and has to present our offer in front of the court. More recently we inherited a house and had to record the death certificate in order to get the deed. There was only one heir and it went very smoothly. I am surprised we didn't get any mail from other investors. 馃
  • Austin, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 223 posts 路 185 votes
    9y

    @Victor Barboza getting in touch with the family would ideally be your best bet. In homes i've worked with in the past I usually skip trace the next of kin, then give them a ring to see if they can get all the decision makers for the property on board to have a conversation with me! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.