MOST EFFECTIVE NO/LOW COST METHODS OF FINDING MOTIVATED SELLERS!

MOST EFFECTIVE NO/LOW COST METHODS OF FINDING MOTIVATED SELLERS!

Lanexa, VA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 4 votes

Ok bp family, here's the deal. I bring ambition and desire to the table, that's about it. I'm a full time single working parent of two teenagers so I have very little excess time. My budget is virtually non existent, literally. What are THE MOST EFFECTIVE no/low cost ways and methods of locating motivated sellers. I know the typical stuff, bandit signs, direct mail, etc. But guys, I've got maybe a hundred bucks monthly for marketing. If I send out 50 letters per week, what category of people do I target to get the biggest bang for my buck? Or, do I  spend half of that on letters and half on bandit signs? If I do put out signs, do I put them up in the extremely hot neighborhood where all the other wholesalers have their signs up or what? Right now, the deals that I've been getting under contract are marginal, meaning, they're deals for someone but not for most. But so far I have not been able to get a deal under contract that I really  feel confident in. Hence, I need to talk to more of the right kind of seller. So, here's the scenario; you have no money (100 dollars monthly) no credit, and your back is against the wall financially! Your spouse just left you and took the kids, the dog and the pick up truck! You need it to happen as soon as it possibly can! You know that wholesaling is the ticket and all you have to bring to the table is the knowledge that you now posses. What specifically do you do to turn a deal as quick as possible!? How do you look for the deal? Where do you look for the deal?

0Reply
215 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2009 · 83 posts · 234 votes
11y

Now hold on... Permission to speak my mind? 

That’s such a typical BP response… Blame everything on all those evil gurus. Don’t listen to the “guru garbage that wholesaling is a path to big paydays even without any cash, time or effort.” 

Name one guru who has ever taught that you can wholesale deals without any “time or effort”. Please, be specific, with quotes and references. Who teaches that? Honestly… I’ve never heard one. Even the worst gurus will admit that you need to put at least a little “time and effort” into the business. 

I just think these kinds of blanket statements and generalities are not helpful, and often just plain silly.  Let's stop the guru bashing, and let's offer more helpful advice.

I didn't have any money when I got started. I 100% bootstrapped it. Yeah - the gurus make it sound too easy sometimes. But I believed the ones who told me I could do it. (I thank God for these “gurus”. If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.)

I know tons of people - many on this forum - who got started in REI with little to no money. Yes, it does take a lot of time and effort. But you CAN DO IT.

Yes, it’s easier if you have money for marketing. But you don’t have to have money to start marketing for sellers. And again… I am speaking from personal experience.

Anyway, sorry for my rant… I know I just opened a can of worms. 

You CAN wholesale properties with little to no money for marketing when you are just getting started. But you need to put a lot of time and creative effort into it. Let me tell you how I did it.

1) Find Other Active Wholesalers In Your Market

These are people who are already wholesaling 5+ deals a month. They do a lot of deals, but they don't like sitting behind a desk, sending postcards, taking calls, prescreening sellers, etc. They would rather be in their trucks, driving around town looking at deals, meeting with sellers, sitting at the seller's kitchen table, making offers, chasing the deal. These guys hate the admin stuff. They just like the chase of the deal. And guess what? Most of their leads come from referrals and the MLS. They don't do much marketing.

You're going to do the marketing for them and be their birddog.

How do you find them? Drive around town & look for bandit signs. Google things like "we buy houses" & "sell house fast". Look on Craigslist and Backpage for ads. Network with local REIA's. Find them here in BP. Flap your lips. Ask around...

Make a list of at least 100 investors in your market. Call them all.

Most of these wholesalers will be beginners and won’t call you back. You will find that maybe 5% of them will be legitimate. You are looking for someone who is experienced, who answers their phone, and promptly returns their calls.

2) Talk To These Wholesalers - Find Out What They Are Looking For

Tell them that you are new in the market and you are hungry. Tell them you want to help them grow their business & help them make more money. Don't ask them if you can sit down with them over coffee and pick their brain. Your sole goal is to help them do more deals, and help THEM make more money.

Tell them you want to do some marketing for them and bring them pre-screened seller leads. Ask them what areas are they buying in. 

Ask them if they would be open to you bringing them warm seller leads, wholesaling the property, and then splitting the profits with you? Maybe they can pay you a "marketing fee" after the deal closes. (Let them figure out how to best pay you. Don't worry about these details yet. You will just be an Independent Contractor / Marketing Consultant.)

3) Ask Them How They Want To See The Leads Presented To Them

Keep this simple.  Make this easy for them.  Give them enough information on each lead so they can see everything they want to see, quickly and easily.

  • Give them the three lowest “active comps” of similar properties nearby.
  • Give them the three lowest “sold comps”.
  • Give them the zillow link of the property.
  • And if you can get property information from the county assessor’s office, print that into a PDF.

(By the way, I recommend using Podio to keep track of all this. The basic version is free. You could also use Google Drive.)

Ask each seller lead the basic 5-6 questions:

  • Seller contact information
  • Property information - address, bedrooms, etc
  • What’s your situation? Why are you selling?
  • What would you like to see happen?
  • If I can make that happen, how quickly would you like to sell?
  • How much cash do you want to walk away with at closing?

4) Start Marketing For Sellers / Deals

This is where the rubber meets the road, right? There are tons of different things you can do that don’t cost much money. Here are my top recommendations:

A) Drive for dollars… Look for vacant properties. Call all the “For Rent” signs. Call the “For Sale” signs on properties that look like they need work.

B) Call Realtors of pending listings.

Look up all the properties online in your wholesalers favorite zip codes that are listed as "under contract" or "pending" in the MLS. Look for the properties that need work - properties that only an investor would buy.

Some markets have this information in Redfin, sometimes you can find it in Zillow. The best way - find a realtor to send these to you (as a daily automatic email alert).

Call the listing agents of these “pending” properties, and say something like this: “Hi, My name is Joe, and I saw that you have a property listed at 123 Main St. Is it still under contract / pending? Well, the reason I am calling is because I am an investor and we are looking to buy more properties in this area. If your buyer falls thru, would you mind calling me so I can make an offer on it? You can represent me and double dip the commissions. Great! What is your email so I can send you my contact information?”

Almost every Realtor will thank you for calling them. If the deal does fall thru, and many times they do, you will be their hero. That Realtor has already spent their commission in their mind. You will help them save face, make their client happy, and they will actually get more commission bring the deal to you.

The really cool thing about this strategy is that it helps you come into contact with the Realtors who are willing to list these kinds of properties. They are really valuable to know.

You will need to collect all the emails of every Realtor you talk to. More on this in a minute. Ask everyone, “Can I send you my contact information so you don’t have to write it down?”

C) Call all the Zillow rental ads in your target markets.

Tell them that you are an investor looking for rental properties in the area to buy. Ask them if they would consider selling their rental property. Or, ask them if they are in the market to buy any more properties (to build your buyer’s list).

If it is an agent or a property manager, ask them if their client would be interested in selling the property. They can represent you and get both sides of the commission. Ask them if they have any other clients who might have a rental property that they would like to sell. Almost every property manager has clients who would love to sell their properties.

Ask everyone if you can send them your contact information, so they can call you if they find a deal in the future, or change their minds.

The goal is to get their email addresses.

D) Text & email Craigslist For Rent ads

Look up rental properties in Craigslist every day. Send texts and emails to each ad, asking them if they would consider selling their rental property. Get them on the phone. Talk to them. Tell them you are an active investor, looking for properties to buy in the area. Ask them to think of you if they ever find a deal. You will pay them a commission / referral fee if they bring you any deals.

E) Text / email Craigslist FSBO's

Send a text / email to these sellers and ask them something like this: “Hi. I am an investor and I saw your property on Craigslist. Is your price negotiable? My wife and I am looking for an investment property in the area. Call me. Thanks”

This next thing is REALLY important...  Don't gloss over it.  This is where the power is...

F) Email everyone on your list once a week, asking them if they have any deals.

This is where the real power of this strategy comes in. Most of these people that you call and talk to are going to forget who you are the next day. But you are going to send them an email every week, asking them if they have any deals. These are going to be simple, non-spammy emails. Something like this…

“Hi - just checking in… We talked a little while ago. I am an investor, looking for hard-to-sell properties. Do you have anything I can look at?”

“I’m an investor looking for fixer-uppers. Do you have any deals I can look at?”

“Hey John… Hope you’re doing well. Do you have any investor specials? I am looking for any hard-to-sell properties. Call me or reply if you have anything.”

Be creative with the emails. Keep them short and sweet. No links - just a simple email, one or two sentences, looking for a reply or phone call.

To learn a cool trick to email all these people every week... 

Go to YouTube, and do a search for “Yet another mail merge tutorial”. You will find videos there on how to send these emails thru your gmail account from a Google Spreadsheet.  Check it out right now...  It's awesome.

G) Super ninja trick - Find other birddogs to do all of this for you.

Once you get this figured all this out, and you’re starting to get lots of leads (and you will, I promise), put ads in Craigslist for birddogs to do all this marketing for you. They will send the leads to you, you will prescreen them, and then send them to your wholesaler partner.

5) Send All The Leads To Your Wholesaler

Now, what do you do when you get a lead? You prescreen the lead and send it to your wholesaling partner. Simple as that. You don’t have to worry about steps 7-8 just yet… All you’re focused on is steps 1-2, which is marketing and talking to sellers.

You don’t have to worry about estimating repairs, getting comps, finding buyers, finding cash to close these deals, working with title companies, etc. Your wholesaler will take care of all that for you.  You will learn that stuff as you go. 

Again, track all these leads in a tool like Podio, or Google Spreadsheets.

6) Reinvest Your Profits Into Marketing

Now that you have done a couple deals, reinvest all your profits into marketing. Start doing postcards and yellow letters as soon as possible.

Summary - I am speaking from experience. I am doing this in 4 different markets right now. I closed 20 deals the last couple months doing this - doing the marketing and partnering with other wholesalers - while I was traveling in my RV. This stuff works.?

I had a stay-at-home mom that I was coaching a couple years ago. She had three screaming, crying, playful, energetic kids at home. She could NOT talk to sellers if she wanted to. And she didn’t have any money to do marketing. So she did the only thing she could do… She emailed landlords and sellers in Craigslist every day. She did all her deals, from beginning to end, with only craigslist and emails. Every week, she would pick a new city. She made it happen because she knew no other way. She didn’t believe anyone who told her she couldn’t do it.

So where there's a will, there's a way. How bad do you want it? Make it happen. Don't let anyone tell you that you can’t.

There is a ton of great free information out there. You don’t have to buy a course to get started (although a good course does help get you faster results.) Stay on this BP site, keep on asking questions, check out all the awesome free podcasts out there, get some books on Amazon, etc.

And when you do have some money to invest in your education, find a good recommended course, and buy it.

Hope that helps!

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 90 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    Awesome, spot on stuff by @Joe McCall 

    Thank You,

    Chavel

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Joe McCall you're a lifesaver!!! Your post has been stored in my phone and will be printed out to use as a reference.  

    BP community rocks!!!! I swear you guys are my lifeline right now!

  • Real Estate Investor · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    @Joe McCall

    wow man! you knocked that out of the park. I am new to the REI world as well and that response really brought home why I'm doing this! Thanks again!

  • Note Buyer · Fresno, CA · Member since 2014 · 34 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    It may sound cheesy, but you have to manage the few dollars you have in your hand. 

    I know plenty of people who still to this day feed their marketing budget by going to yard and garage sales and buying stuff for pennies and reselling for dollars. Sometimes you can sell it locally, sometimes ebay. 

    I can't offer much, but I know two guys right now who lost it all in the crash and started over with yardsale flipping. 

    Its humbling, but keep in mind, $10 in profit today from yesterdays work is a step closer to tomorrows dream.

  • Wholesaler · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    unfortunately there is not really a short cut.

    marketing to sellers takes time and money.

    I think the smartest way to get started in RE is to become an agent. You open yourself up to many oportunities and knowledge.

     No no no. Maurice, wholesaling is the way to go. Use it to skyrocket yourself into whatever you really want to do in this life. I started wholesaling in January and my first deal was a probate, St Johns riverfront home that profited me and my coach 50k. Since then.. i have honestly spent maybe 1000$ on marketing. Just gotta know the right way. Dont waste your time. 

    Also, instead of bringing other wholesalers leads, just ask them if you can mark thier property up 1000$ or so. That way you can build ypur buyers list while making mulah at the same time.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    unfortunately there is not really a short cut.

    marketing to sellers takes time and money.

    I think the smartest way to get started in RE is to become an agent. You open yourself up to many oportunities and knowledge.

     No no no. Maurice, wholesaling is the way to go. Use it to skyrocket yourself into whatever you really want to do in this life. I started wholesaling in January and my first deal was a probate, St Johns riverfront home that profited me and my coach 50k. Since then.. i have honestly spent maybe 1000$ on marketing. Just gotta know the right way. Dont waste your time. 

    Also, instead of bringing other wholesalers leads, just ask them if you can mark thier property up 1000$ or so. That way you can build ypur buyers list while making mulah at the same time.

     Spencer, 

    ..............I don't even know where to start with this post.

  • Specialist · pomona, CA · Member since 2012 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I have a question , i am thinking about going to the court house locally to look for probates. I took a wholesaling class not to long ago and it says to look in the computer at the court house, no cell phones but a lab top is okay. 

    another note,

    I also looked online and have seen a few sites that charge for leads. 1 site offered 1250 leads $150 but a 12 month commitment....

    would it be better to do the foot work myself or shell out x amount of dollars?

  • Probate & Forelcosure Data Specialist · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Samuel I can help you. Pleas reach out to me :)

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maurice Bey:

    Ok bp family, here's the deal. I bring ambition and desire to the table, that's about it. I'm a full time single working parent of two teenagers so I have very little excess time. My budget is virtually non existent, literally. What are THE MOST EFFECTIVE no/low cost ways and methods of locating motivated sellers. I know the typical stuff, bandit signs, direct mail, etc. But guys, I've got maybe a hundred bucks monthly for marketing. If I send out 50 letters per week, what category of people do I target to get the biggest bang for my buck? Or, do I  spend half of that on letters and half on bandit signs? If I do put out signs, do I put them up in the extremely hot neighborhood where all the other wholesalers have their signs up or what? Right now, the deals that I've been getting under contract are marginal, meaning, they're deals for someone but not for most. But so far I have not been able to get a deal under contract that I really  feel confident in. Hence, I need to talk to more of the right kind of seller. So, here's the scenario; you have no money (100 dollars monthly) no credit, and your back is against the wall financially! Your spouse just left you and took the kids, the dog and the pick up truck! You need it to happen as soon as it possibly can! You know that wholesaling is the ticket and all you have to bring to the table is the knowledge that you now posses. What specifically do you do to turn a deal as quick as possible!? How do you look for the deal? Where do you look for the deal?

     Hello and welcome!  Just keep on keeping on!  Owner equity and owner financing is your best bet right now.  Just do your research and do not give up.  I am 59 years old and have graduated from college and got my broker license in 1980.  I have been in the construction business since I was 17.  If you think I can help you with anything do not hesitate to contact me.  I am from and raised in Dallas Texas.  Good luck!  I wish you the best!

  • Maple Heights, OH · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thank you Brian! I said that a week ago on here about the bay Sayers & got beat up! But I can hold my own. And by the way, I use this software myself & it works very well for me.

  • Wholesaler · Powder Springs, GA · Member since 2013 · 516 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    I love this post! 

    This is like a virtual mastermind. 

    Keep it up. 

  • Investor · Burleson, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Joe McCall

    Joe, 

    Thanks for the post, I got several ideas out of this and I can see great potential to grow into areas that would be missed with the normal spray and pray marketing.

    Very interesting.

    Sincerely,

    Jesse

  • Contractor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    @Maurice Bey 

    I don't know much about whole selling (we are flippers) but it seems like   

    @Joe McCall just gave you all you need to be a successful whole seller, it's all up to you now all you have to do is DO IT. 

    Remember in this business you need to be patient, persistent and focused. You can do anything if you are determined. 

    We wish you success ;) 

  • Wholesaler · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Joe McCall Thank you for great advice. I'm a newbie in wholesaling properties, but you solidify
  • Wholesaler · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Joe McCall Thank you for such great advice! I'm a newbie in wholesaling and your advice/tips are awesomeness. Definitely will use your marketing strategies.
  • Wholesaler · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    Joe McCall Thank you for a great post!
  • Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    @Maurice Bey I am writing a book not on my experience at closing the deal (still need to do that) but is empathizing and sympath finding the elusive motivated seller that once can use electronic marketing to save money on paper direct marketing. 

    I will create a web site / landing page that focuses on the "law of attraction" targeted at th motivated seller...with your permission I will use you article in the book based on your "cry" for financial help.

    Visit my web site for more on the "motivated seller" in the product tab

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 54 votes
    10y

    Wholesaling is a whole new world. I am first hand experience at this process from reading blogs and forums, mostly on BP, to figure out what to do. I wholesaled my first property off zillow for a very nice profit. I also only put 10 bucks into escrow. So yeah, it can be done without using a ton of money. Not saying every deal will be like that but it can be done. With using your time in the most effetive way possible. 

    Learning is free, especially with bigger pockets. Once you get a little cashflow coming in, then you can expand. Start off slow, put one property under contract at a time until you are able to manage multiple properties. 

    The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to build rapport with whatever motivated seller you are dealing with. The more they like you, the more they will be willing to take of the price. I spend my first 15-20 minutes just getting to know them. Not talking business. Once they feel comfortable around you, then you can start business talk. 

    YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT WHEN YOU DO WHATEVER IT TAKES!

  • Real Estate Professional · Mableton, GA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Joe McCall thank you soo much im just starting out and this really helped  me a whole lot

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2009 · 96 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed 

    You stated:  

    "Also, instead of bringing other wholesalers leads, just ask them if you can mark thier property up 1000$ or so. That way you can build ypur buyers list while making mulah at the same time."

    So first one would have to get contract with the wholesaler to get control and market the deal. Then market for an end-buyer. if you mark up the property, wouldn't there be a problem when your end-buyer sees the property advertised else where at a lower price? What kind of agreement would you need with your end-buyer to get paid, a marketing agreement?

    Thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.