Is direct mail legal? (Central Illinois)

Is direct mail legal? (Central Illinois)

Investor · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 2 votes

I apologize for the clickbait, but it does encapsulate my anxiety. 

My plan: 

Drive around my target area.

Write down addresses of homes I would be interested in (unkept yard, abandoned, etc.)

Send one hand written letter that simply states that I would be interested in purchasing their home and to let me know if they would be interested. I planned to give my first name and phone number. I also planned to note in the letter that I would only be sending one letter to be respectful. I would not be making any promises to the potential seller such as price or a guarantee offer.  

The issue:

I thought this was the a run-of-the-mill plan and had no anxiety about it. I then considered that I don't want to do it without speaking to my attorney in case there are any harassment laws I could be tripping over. 

The discussion with my attorney didn't go well. They just said it's better not to do it. They didn't state a specific reason not to do it, just that you don't want to open yourself up to potential harassment issues. I want to take sound advice and not just ask around until I get the answer I'm looking for. That being said this strategy is pretty run of the mill in RE investment circles so I have a hard time thinking its a bad idea.

What do you guys suggest? I would hope one hand written letter would not cause me a headache.

Thank you in advance.

1Reply
44 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · VA · Member since 2008 · 420 posts · 175 votes
    2y

    Some states like SC, ID, and maybe others I'm missing are non-solicitation states; However, I know some investors who still send letters. I haven't heard anything from IL.

    I would just use a biz phone #, virtual mailbox, etc. 

  • Investor · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Edgar U.:

    Some states like SC, ID, and maybe others I'm missing are non-solicitation states; However, I know some investors who still send letters. I haven't heard anything from IL.

    I would just use a biz phone #, virtual mailbox, etc. 

    I agree. I have a biz phone number i would be providing.
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Hey @Jacob Lindgren - For sure direct mail is NOT illegal in Illinois.  Here in Chicago, it's one of the tried and true strategies of the big wholesalers.

    Tons of businesses do it all the time...peoples addresses is public record and you can send them anything you want.  Now if you were to start calling or texting that is a different story because you do need to ensure they are NOT on the do not call list.

    Consider connecting with a very real estate-specific attorney....happy to provide you with some local referrals if that would help.

    You do need to have your real estate license to wholesale more than one property per year though so please be aware of that...I'd just get your license if you don't already have it.

  • Investor · Springfield, IL · Member since 2022 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Klemm:

    Hey @Jacob Lindgren - For sure direct mail is NOT illegal in Illinois.  Here in Chicago, it's one of the tried and true strategies of the big wholesalers.

    Tons of businesses do it all the time...peoples addresses is public record and you can send them anything you want.  Now if you were to start calling or texting that is a different story because you do need to ensure they are NOT on the do not call list.

    Consider connecting with a very real estate-specific attorney....happy to provide you with some local referrals if that would help.

    You do need to have your real estate license to wholesale more than one property per year though so please be aware of that...I'd just get your license if you don't already have it.


     Thank you Jonathan, I would be happy to take your referrals. I’m glad to hear they are used regularly. I had a hard time just taking my attorneys advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.