KeyCheck used for MTR Owner-Occupied SFH (1 tenant with own 1bdr/1bath)

KeyCheck used for MTR Owner-Occupied SFH (1 tenant with own 1bdr/1bath)

Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 6 votes

Hello MTR landlords!

I've decided to use KeyCheck for my MTR listing on FurnishedFinder, and I understand that KC offers criminal background check, credit report, and eviction history. I'm going to have an attorney review my lease agreement, but all the documentation that I have came with my BiggerPockets MANAGING RENTAL PROPERTIES book a few years ago, pre-pandemic...and it's a lot.

For those using KeyCheck for their MTR listings, did you also find that additional documentation was needed, besides the 3 key things that KC provides?  For example, there's an Employment Verification Form, Forwarding Address Form for Deposit Refund, and so forth, that you can request your tenant to fill out.

I want to make sure I'm not missing anything (as well as protecting myself) but also don't want to over-burden the tenant.  And it seems like I have to decide which KC plan to purchase before I can look at the documents that are available.

Does anyone have suggestions on additional documents that are a "must" for my situation?

Thank you!

0Reply
71 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wes D.Pro Member
    Investor · Northern Kentucky | Northern Virginia · Member since 2022 · 45 posts · 39 votes
    2y

    Hi Shawn, I use KeyCheck's lease agreement (and lease addendum, as needed), and background screenings. I haven't felt the need to verify employment; I figure that if they have good credit with multiple lines in good standing--and no evictions--they've demonstrated their ability to pay on time. Once they're near the end of the lease, I request a forwarding address to return the deposit.

    So far, so good.

    Best of luck,

    Wes

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Wes D.:

    Hi Shawn, I use KeyCheck's lease agreement (and lease addendum, as needed), and background screenings. I haven't felt the need to verify employment; I figure that if they have good credit with multiple lines in good standing--and no evictions--they've demonstrated their ability to pay on time. Once they're near the end of the lease, I request a forwarding address to return the deposit.

    So far, so good.

    Best of luck,

    Wes

     Awesome, thank you @Wes D.!

  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento Area, CA · Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Hi @Shawn C.,

    I also used a similar process to @Wes D. I am very new, with my first tenant moving in yesterday. I used Keycheck for the lease agreement and background screenings. I also did an initial telephone screening/interview and check references. All of these checked out, so I felt comfortable. However, it is only day 1, so I will have to see how it goes and what other lessons I learn.

    I did also put together house rules, and go over everything with the tenant upon arrival (I did talk about any "rules" during the final interview to make sure we were both clear on expectations), and provided a written copy. On arrival the house rules also included how things worked in the unit (TV, Laundry, etc.), where things are (cleaning supplies, trash, etc.) and points of interest in the area (such as local attractions and restaurants).

    As I am new and definitely still learning, if I missed something please let me know.

    Wish you the best as you get set up!

    Kim

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.