Home Renovation for MTR Question - Bathtub in Master, not in Hall Bathroom

Home Renovation for MTR Question - Bathtub in Master, not in Hall Bathroom

Tempe, AZ · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 18 votes

Hey All,

We are looking at purchasing a deal in the east valley of Phoenix, Arizona in Mesa. We discovered during inspection that the hall bathroom has an alcove for a shower, but no shower installed and the space is too small for a bathtub. It is an older home, and would be hard to move walls around to make space without basically taking the whole house apart. Question: If we have a tub in the master bathroom, but not in the hall bathroom, is that a deal breaker for turning the home into a mid term rental?

Thanks!

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian L HarrisBusiness Member
Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 9 votes
2y

I agree with Nicole. In general, tubs are moving down on the list of desired features. There is a good chance that the tub would only be used for kids and kids want mom and dad's tub anyway. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Who is your target? If it's traveling workers, they won't care. If it's families, they might find that inconvenient, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

  • Brian L HarrisBusiness Member
    Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    I agree with Nicole. In general, tubs are moving down on the list of desired features. There is a good chance that the tub would only be used for kids and kids want mom and dad's tub anyway. 

  • Interior Decorator · CA · Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    If this is the only “downside”, I wouldn’t consider it a deal breaker. There is a bathtub in the home still so I think you’ll be good. It becomes more preferred if there are children living in the home so consider who you’ll be renting to, but even then I think one bathtub in the home is fine. 

  • Realtor · Phoenix AZ, USA · Member since 2023 · 209 posts · 81 votes
    2y

    Hey Matt, I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker but it depends on the target market for this property. If you're trying to get traveling nurses or single professionals then the tub shouldn't be a deal breaker. 

    If you're looking to target a family with young kids or older folks then you may want to consider it a little more in depth as these people may need a tub. Since you have one in the hall that should be fine either way though honestly. If you were in Sun City with the older population it may be a deal breaker but I don't think so in Mesa.

  • Noah CorwickPro Member
    Realtor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 273 posts · 115 votes
    2y

    Hi Matt, 

    I agree with the comments above 

    I'm sure you've already done this in your research, but I would definitely check the comps and see what you can extract from that. Check if you can gather intel on both MTRs and LTRs in the area. 

    You should have a gut feeling after looking at this and can strategize as necessary. 

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Without knowing how many bedrooms & bathrooms, who your target guest is and what your strategy is (rent-by-room, entire place, etc) it's impossible to answer. Generally speaking, families want at least one bath tub for bathing small children and for relaxing. Having the bathroom in the master suite makes both of these things possible so I don't think it's a drawback if you don't also have a tub in another bathroom. If you're renting by room, most travelers don't require a bath tub and definitely not if it's a shared bathroom. It's just not a deal killer in most situations so if you like everything else about it, I'd pull the trigger!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.