Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Marc Shin
Votes |
Anyone have experience with MTR's in Northern Virginia?

Marc Shin
Posted

Hello, anyone have experience with MTR's in Northern Virginia?   What areas are good for catering to travel nurses in NOVA?  Or should I be focusing on housing for insurance companies ?    TIA

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Strickland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Replied

@Marc Shin

If I could, I would invest in Falls Church and Fairfax because I get a steady drip of leads for travelers going there. But, if you need to increase your radius as I did, you will attract quality MTR leads if you buy and design with them as your target tenants (know your audience).

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied

All areas can work it depends on the avatar you want to target. I house hack in Reston, VA by renting a room in my condo to traveling medical professionals. We have very little vacancy and I've been able to continue to increase my rate after each tenant.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Amsalem
  • Investor
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied

We have a rental in Alexandria (the Fairfax side), specifically in the Huntington neighborhood that does well as an MTR. We've had a handful of nurses stay there since 2021, but it's not exclusive to them.

We're renovating the basement of our next house hack and it's in City of Alexandria closer to the existing Inova hospital and the new Landmark development. I expect it to do just as well.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied

If you haven't yet I would suggest looking at Furnished Finder and Zillow in the areas that you are considering in Northern VA to get a general sense of the competition. Also, if you attend some local RE meetups in the area you may be able to find some local MTR operators.