Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
Filling in Vacancies with STR Guests

Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Posted

Hey all,

Last summer I transitioned from a LTR to MTR in my house-hacked duplex. Got my first tenants (traveling medical) and they have renewed 3! Great tenants and will hate to see them leave but they must move on due to tax laws of working in a state for more than 1 year.

I'm asking what is everyone's experience with trying to squeeze in STR guests in between MTR tenants. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I don’t anticipate there being trouble with finding another MTR tenant but in case there is a lag, I would like to limit vacancies.

Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

@Brian Malavsky in some locations it is not worth the extra trouble. Rental registration and tax registration for only a few days in between. It is also hard to predict timing if mid-term rentals will extend. Now if you have a place that is short term say in summer and mid-term winter because you get a significantly higher rate in one season for STR that makes sense.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Replied

Thanks Colleen! I have a STR license already and my tenants have extended as long as they can. So they have to move out of state when the current lease expires. I'm thinking it wouldn't be worth the trouble as I don't foresee having any issues finding another qualified tenant. Just was curious of other people's experiences.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

I think it’s worth it for just a week or two after the current MTR booking ends. You don’t want to block the availability for your next MTR booking. If you already have a gap between two MTR bookings, then it’s definitely worthwhile to rent out dates that would go vacant. I wish I could do this in Los Angeles!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Styer
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hello, @Brian Malavsky, this is a great question. For us here in Columbus the juice is definitely worth the squeeze. It's all about occupancy and if your vacant, you're not making anything. We use our systems to make sure that we can toggle back and forth to obtain maximum occupancy for our properties and clients. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied

I think it really depends on your market. If you have a very strong STR market and are in peak season you could generate quite a bit of revenue in a couple week gap between MTR guests. Since you already have an STR license for the property, it may be worth it to at least try and test the waters with an STR bookings and see how it goes.

User Stats

Votes
Yiwei Cheng
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

Yes I would open it up for shorter stays to fill in the gaps between MTR, but not offer shorter stays so far in advance that it blocks your calendar.  Lots of MTR travelers are last minute.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied

For us, it's been worth it, even though STR tenants are a way bigger headache than MTR tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Replied

Thanks for the input! I decided to go full time STR through the summer and try to secure a MTR over winter. I break even with MTR rates at 75% ADR of comparables and 65% occupancy. So I figure it's pretty low risk considering occupancy is much higher here in Denver.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied
Quote from @Brian Malavsky:

Hey all,

Last summer I transitioned from a LTR to MTR in my house-hacked duplex. Got my first tenants (traveling medical) and they have renewed 3! Great tenants and will hate to see them leave but they must move on due to tax laws of working in a state for more than 1 year.

I'm asking what is everyone's experience with trying to squeeze in STR guests in between MTR tenants. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I don’t anticipate there being trouble with finding another MTR tenant but in case there is a lag, I would like to limit vacancies.

Thoughts?

If you can squeeze in some STR bookings to fill in the gaps it is totally worth it!! just make sure to set your calendar accordingly so in future months you arent accidentally getting STR bookings and ruining your MTR chances

User Stats

Votes
Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Replied
Quote from @Jeremy Jareckyj:

Hey all,

Thoughts?

If you can squeeze in some STR bookings to fill in the gaps it is totally worth it!! just make sure to set your calendar accordingly so in future months you arent accidentally getting STR bookings and ruining your MTR chances

Great reminder, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Styer
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Hi @Brian Malavsky

For us in Columbus, squeezing in STR guests between MTR tenants can be profitable for reducing vacancies and increasing rental income, especially with platforms like Airbnb or VRBO. It's been a great strategy for us.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Malavsky
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wheat Ridge, CO
Replied

Thanks Jonathon! How far out do you limit bookings?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Styer
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied

Thanks Jonathon! How far out do you limit bookings?

We usually try to stick to 2 weeks out because it can easily creep into being an STR if you open it wide up and that's not the goal if you have MTR as your primary strategy. What we often do is just fill in STRs between MTRs if there is a gap in the stay.

Columbus has very high MTR demand so we are often doing next day turns and booking places before they're listed. But we do keep this strategy in our back pocket.