Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
George Gilbert
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dayton Ohio
Votes |
MTR in Dayton/ Kettering OH

George Gilbert
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dayton Ohio
Posted May 4 2023, 18:14

Hey everyone. Rookie investor here, been looking into MTRs mostly in the Kettering area. Just wondering if anyone else here has had experience or success there. I've been studying STRs for about the last year just haven't pulled the trigger. Discovering MTR and seems like a good starting rental property position for me to get my feet wet. Any feedback or realtors in the area willing to help, feel free to reach out. 

Thanks, 

George

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied May 18 2023, 06:36

Hi George,

There are a few things you can do to understand MTR demand in the area:

1. Go to Furnishedfinder.com/stats and put in your market to understand the demand and pricing. Then go to the home page of the site and put in your market to look through properties. From there you’ll get an idea of what other MTR properties in the area look like, how they are priced, and which amenities are being offered. 
2. I know Dayton is a college town which could be a great driver of MTR demand. Students needing housing for a semester, professors, and others will be a good tenant base to focus on. 
3. Look up hospitals within 5-10 miles of your market. You can search travel nurse on Indeed to see if they’re travel nurse openings and you can see which hospitals they’re going to. Traveling medical professionals is one of the biggest tenant pools for MTRs.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied May 18 2023, 09:46

Hi, George. I know Dayton/Kettering well. We've been looking to buy in that area for some time. Dayton has quite a few MTRs to choose from but I'm constantly surprised at a) how much they're asking in rent and b) how dated most units are. Kettering is a very desirable area but it can be a bit hit or miss. There are a lot of 1/1s, which make for great MTRs in my experience. You've got plenty of demand from travel medical professionals and people coming in for university-related functions and trainings and military events. If it were me, I'd go the combined MTR/STR route in Kettering. Keep yourself open to both types of guests so list on both the OTAs as well as Furnished Finder. The key to success in MTR is to have a clean, stylish, SAFE property. Onsite parking and in-unit washer/dryer as well as being pet friendly will make your listing very attractive.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Everidge
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied May 19 2023, 07:16

Hello George!

I'm a Dayton native, real estate agent and investor. I primarily work with investors in the area and I would be happy to hop on a phone call with you. Sending you my contact information now. 

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied May 19 2023, 20:30
Quote from Tyler Everidge:

Hello George!

I'm a Dayton native, real estate agent and investor. I primarily work with investors in the area and I would be happy to hop on a phone call with you. Sending you my contact information now. 

@George Gilbert

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 2 2023, 07:50
Quote from @Tyler Everidge:

Hello George!

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Masoud
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dayton/Cincinnati/Columbus
Replied Aug 9 2023, 12:51

I have 36 mid-term units between downtown Dayton and Miamisburg. Let me know if you have any questions.