Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kristofer Marsh
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Is anyone house hacking in Reno, NV?

Kristofer Marsh
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Posted

Duplexes/MFH in Reno are rare, and with the ADU restrictions I'm wondering if and how people are successfully house hacking here. I've seen a few basement units with separate entrances, what is your situation and how did you find it?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied

@Kristofer Marsh I'll ask the general question here first:  What would you define as a "successful" househack?

Now, if we need market specific things, whether it's a plumber or advice on a neighborhood, then we need to go local for it. Try some local real estate meetup groups. Meetup.com is a good resource for those but some of the groups will also post here on Bigger Pockets Marketplace too. Even facebook might have some good local groups for you. But post locally for this. That’s the best bet

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Kristofer Marsh
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Replied

Thanks @Andrew Postell. By successful, I mean simply that it's working well for you. Could be L/M/STR, something creative like storage, etc.

Thank you for the tip on going local. I'm in a few meetups in the area, but thought I'd cast the wider net anyway. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Heidi M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Reno, NV
Replied

@Kristofer Marsh. There’s nothing in Reno to househack. You may consider renting out rooms. There seems to be a lot of that going on.

I have 1 duplex I bought about 10 years ago in Sparks, but honestly they are rare.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied

@Kristofer Marsh

I've house hacked two SFH's here. I'm now moved out and they each cash flow approx. $1k per month.

I also work for a brokerage that has done more small multi-family deals (2-10 units) than anyone in the area for the past 5 years. 

People are still house hacking even in this environment, however it is certainly tougher. 

Would be happy to hop on a call to discuss more. 

User Stats

Votes
Wesley Pittman
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Reno, NV
Replied

@Kristofer Marsh

Hi Kirstofer!

Yep, lots of people househack here in Reno. With the current rate environment, expect the rents of your other unit to help reduce your monthly expense not eliminate it! Because we are a more appreciation driven environment and our cap rates tends to be pretty low (sub 6 for the past 10 years for most small inventory), it pretty much always seems that when you buy the property, the rental unit just covers some of the costs, but give the calendar some time to do its magic and they end up performing pretty well in the long run. Here's an article I wrote on my first deal which was house hack near UNR.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/15282/101055-and-...

User Stats

Votes
Kristofer Marsh
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Reno, NV
Replied
Quote from @Wesley Pittman:

@Kristofer Marsh

Hi Kirstofer!

Yep, lots of people househack here in Reno. With the current rate environment, expect the rents of your other unit to help reduce your monthly expense not eliminate it! Because we are a more appreciation driven environment and our cap rates tends to be pretty low (sub 6 for the past 10 years for most small inventory), it pretty much always seems that when you buy the property, the rental unit just covers some of the costs, but give the calendar some time to do its magic and they end up performing pretty well in the long run. Here's an article I wrote on my first deal which was house hack near UNR.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/15282/101055-and-...

Thanks @Wesley Pittman, this is encouraging information. I do consider "Successful" in Reno meaning house hacking at all. With the restrictions to ADUs it seems like most house hacks are either in a duplex/MFH situation or a "granny unit"/unfinished basement setup.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Yates
  • Investor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Reno, NV
Replied

Kristofer,

Ditto to what others mentioned above. I successfully househacked by buying a 4BR SFH and renting the three basic rooms. As they say on the RE podcast, it is all about the comfort you are willing to give up. The less comfortable you need to be, the more money you can make. I lived in the master BR with my (now) wife and it certainly wasn't fun, but we were able to make it work for long enough to maximize the benefits. Then remodeled the property and sold as a live-in flip with good (untaxed) profit.

As has been said, the MF market here is very slim. I would recommend building relationships with wholesalers to find off-market deals. Even then, it is still more of a long-term play. I currently invest in multifamily from a distance (Cleveland, OH), because that's where the numbers make sense for my current strategy. Another piece of wisdom from the podcast - live where you want to live and invest where the numbers make sense!

Cheers and good luck on your journey! 
Alex

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied

There is for sure house hacking going on.  It really depends on your goals and how long you want to hold your hack. Some people need to stay in them longer to finish value add repairs or upgrades. Depending on your financing situation there are some good deals in up and coming parts of town.  Message me if you want some good contacts in the Reno area.