Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Hansel Gunawan
Votes |
What is house hacking?

Hansel Gunawan
Posted Jul 30 2023, 16:36

It might sound stupid, but I'm beginner here.

What exactly is house hacking? what makes it better than other strategies?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nolan Chandler
  • Investor
  • Southeast North Carolina
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 30 2023, 17:41

Hey, @Hansel Gunawan

So, in sum, house hacking can be when you are able leverage low down payments in order to control an asset (use an FHA loan and rent out the other rooms/units, use the VA loan with no down payment to ultimately turn the property into a rental property, etc.). This strategy acts as a low barrier to entry to allow someone with little capital to enter the investing world, to build equity, and repeat the process to continue to build their portfolio/wealth.

I would be happy to go into more detail should you ever want.

User Stats

Votes
Hansel Gunawan
Votes |
Replied Jul 30 2023, 18:01

Hey @Nolan Chandler

Thanks for replying to my post.

Yes, I'd like to go more detail about house hacking with you.

I think I'm having a hard time in analyzing which deals are good enough to buy. Also, how to know if the area that I'm interested in is good? What indicators that I should check?

Thanks!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 30 2023, 18:17

Hi Hansel!

House hacking is essentially the cheat code to get started into real estate investing.

Generally done by utilizing FHA loans and 2-4 unit properties.

Basically, buy a primary residence, live in it or one of the units for 12 months, move out buy again and do it all over again.

Each time you can utilize fha as long as you refi the former before you use it again.

Great way to buy a lot of properties with low entry cost!

User Stats

Votes
Nolan Chandler
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jul 30 2023, 18:49

@Hansel Gunawan BiggerPockets has many articles to help give broad analyses on various markets.  Really the super zoomed out view should be where there is strong job growth, population growth, and a good price-to-rent ratio.  Of course there are more variables and it gets more detailed than this, but this is merely a starting point to narrow down markets that you really want to invest for research in.  Once you do that, I would get referrals to good brokers/property managers in the area to get their expert opinions from their numerous years in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Hansel Gunawan
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2023, 00:45

Hey @Devin Peterson ,

What do you mean by primary residence? is that a multi-family property?

Sorry for my newbie question.

I really want to understand the business :)

User Stats

Votes
Brandon P.
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jul 31 2023, 05:30
Quote from @Hansel Gunawan:

Hey @Devin Peterson ,

What do you mean by primary residence? is that a multi-family property?

Sorry for my newbie question.

I really want to understand the business :)

Primary residence - the place where you live and reside for the majority of the year; your legal address.

Multi-family - is a property that has multiple units on it. Most commonly duplex, triplex or quadplex.

A primary residence can be utilized on a multi-family property. For example you buy a triplex and live in one of the three units. This is both your primary residence and a multi-family property.

A single family residence - aka a single house - can be a primary residence but cannot be considered a multi-family property. (although you can house hack and rent out rooms in and SFR.)

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 31 2023, 07:27

As my dad said, “no question is a stupid question if you don’t know the answer.” Thanks for sharing your question here.

One of the best things you can do right now is continue to educate yourself. And you've joined one of the best communities for all things real estate investing.

1️⃣ Download this ultimate beginner’s guide: https://assets2.biggerpockets.com/uploads/user_file/file_object/1694/UBG_2018.pdf

2️⃣ Read BP beginner books on investing: https://store.biggerpockets.co...

Also, read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

3️⃣ Subscribe to BP podcasts or YouTube channel and watch their webinars.

4️⃣ Keep asking questions here on the forums.

5️⃣ Visit (join) a local (and legit) real estate investment association.

6️⃣ Consider joining a BP bootcamp: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/real-estate-investing-bootcamps

I wish you all the best in your investing journey!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 2 2023, 13:25

@Hansel Gunawan great question! You should take pride in being courageous enough to ask! 

House Hacking is amazing. Here are some resources I found really helpful on my journey:

1. For podcasts I really like the House Hacking episodes on Bigger Pockets Podcast and other channels. Here is a playlist with the best House Hacking Podcasts I’ve found: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4A6uLsPfdWEMmJhG4TSjyb?si=743bb403548f47fb

2. Great beginners guide: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Ultimate_Beginners_Guide_BiggerPockets.pdf

3. The Book on House Hacking Strategies by Bigger Pockets is also a fantastic book

4. Happy to talk if you want more advice

5. Connect with a realtor who understands house hacking and has invested themselves

6. Connect with a lender to see what you qualify for and how you can improve that situation

7. Go to local Real Estate meetups and learn from people there

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Scarpero
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Jul 14 2024, 10:38

I'ts buying a multi family property as owner occupant and getting rent on the remaining units.

It's lower down payment since you are owner occupant and lower rates too.

Easy way to get started.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• Lender Virginia (#1674385), Arizona (#1674385), Tennessee (#1674385), Alabama (#1674385), Florida (#1674385), Texas (#1674385), Indiana (#1674385), Kentucky (#1674385), and Ohio (#1674385)

Home Loans by Carlos Scarpero, Powered by Edge Home Finance, NMLS #1674385 Logo