Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cody Faucher
Votes |
To sell our home, or rent to continue growth through equity?

Cody Faucher
Posted May 16 2024, 01:35

I live in the outskirts of Mechanicsville, VA just outside of Richmond. My wife and I have lived in our current home for three years but are in the process of moving to Pennsylvania. Our real estate agent is saying that we can get $80,000 more than we paid for the home currently. We have an offer from a friend that would like to rent our home for $200 more than our mortgage. So far, it seems our home was a good investment after hearing that. Should we keep our home, rent it out and continue to build the equity? Do you think the housing market specially in this area, will continue to grow as it has?

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
Agent
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • College Station, TX
Replied May 16 2024, 04:35

What is your goal as an investor? What would you do with the 80k if you sell?

I was in a similar situation moving from NC to TX. I had lived in my house for about 5 years and had 60k in equity. I did not want to manage the house from a distance and had plans to grow a portfolio in TX. So we sold and put the TAX FREE profits to work here in TX.

If your long-term goal is to own 2-4 rentals. Use that to supplement your retirement and arent a RE junky. Then I'd say it's worth keeping. Let it continue to appreciate. 

Keep in mind you can keep it as a rental for up to 3 more years, and still sell without paying capital gains tax. As long as you've owned the home for 2 of the last 5 years. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/capital-gains-tax

Hope this helps :)

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied May 16 2024, 05:03

@Cody Faucher - Just so you are aware, $200 above your mortgage is not cash flow. It cost money to own a house and people normally allocate a percentage of the revenue towards repair, capex, vacancy and property management. If you take that into consideration, you are losing money on the property. Do you think you can rent it for higher? Did you check out what other properties like yours are selling for in the area?

Regarding the $80K, if it's your primary residence that could be considered tax free money. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the $80K on whether its a good opportunity or not. Lastly, it cost money to sell real estate, typically 6-8% of the purchase price in transaction costs. Definitely take that into the equation when determining how much money you will walk away with. Best of luck! 

Candor Realty Worcester Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied May 16 2024, 05:47

For $200 more than your mortgage-will that cover your expenses (taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc)?

Also look down the road-do you plan on moving back or eventually sell the property?  If the latter, if you sell in 5 years, you will have to pay capital gains tax on that $80K (plus any additional appreciation).

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied May 17 2024, 08:46

What's your long-term financial goals? Do you need immediate cash, or are you more interested in building long-term wealth through rental income and property appreciation?

User Stats

Votes
Cody Faucher
Votes |
Replied May 19 2024, 18:47

My mortgage is $2055 a month with taxes and insurance escrowed in. The house is mostly up to date. The only other added expense we would have is about 3 acres of lawn care maintenance. I also mispoke previously, we have about $275,000 in equity in our house with roughly half of the mortgage paid off and our realtor believes our home has appreciated by $80,000.
We don’t have any immediate need to sell it for the money. 

User Stats

Votes
Marina Sorbie
  • Realtor
  • Washington DC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Washington DC
Replied May 20 2024, 07:47
Quote from @Cody Faucher:

My mortgage is $2055 a month with taxes and insurance escrowed in. The house is mostly up to date. The only other added expense we would have is about 3 acres of lawn care maintenance. I also mispoke previously, we have about $275,000 in equity in our house with roughly half of the mortgage paid off and our realtor believes our home has appreciated by $80,000.
We don’t have any immediate need to sell it for the money. 

It depends on your short-term and long-term goals. You mentioned you are moving to PA. Are you buying there? How long do you plan to live there? Would you come back to Mechanicsville at some point? What would you do with the money if you sell the house?

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Aaker
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Brandon, SD
Replied May 20 2024, 08:17
First consider if you even want to be a landlord. You'll be managing from afar and that is sometimes difficult. You should get a property manager if you intend to keep the house. I'd avoid renting to the friend. What happens when they damage something? Will you have a good lease agreement in place? The $200/month won't even pay your property taxes. Rent it for market value but not to a friend, at least one you want to keep.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Roy
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Midlothian, VA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Midlothian, VA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 09:01

Congratulations on being in a positive equity position.  Like others who have responded, $200 above your mortgage isn't cash flow.  That will get consumed with yearly expenses, especially a 3 acre lawn to maintain.  

A rule of thumb is...don't rent or lease to anyone you are not willing to evict.  A friend may not be the best choice for a tenant.  Have a property manager give you an estimate of potential rental rates for your area.

Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#4 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jun 6 2024, 05:43

The best strategy is to refi to get the cash out and find a property that you intend to be an investment. Your primary was not intended to be a rental and the numbers don't often make sense. 

Don't rent to a friend unless you are an experienced owner as friendships and family relations are hard to manage through business transactions. I see them go sideways all the time...

User Stats

Votes
Tim Defibaugh
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Jun 7 2024, 09:11

Hi Cody, 

I'm a local investor and agent here in Richmond specializing in investment properties. I'd be happy to give you a free rental analysis and do more of a deep-dive into your specific situation to help you determine the best course of action. If you'd like to chat, feel free to shoot me a message here and we can hop on a call.

Thanks,

Tim Defibaugh