Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Any opinions on buying rentals in Grand Rapids?

Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Posted Apr 29 2024, 17:55

Hello Grand Rapids investors. What is your feeling about buying single-family properties in Grand Rapids now? It seems pricey, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth investing.

Last summer it was pricey too, but we waited, found a couple of fixer-uppers and made it work just fine. I'm thinking with patience and being smart about things, there is still a chance for making a new in investment work. I'm wondering if people agree or disagree.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Smith
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Apr 30 2024, 04:27

I agree- be patient.  Anything on the market, especially for single-family homes, you are in competition with other investors and owner-occupants.  Owner-occupants can pay more since they are not looking for a "return on investment" per say.  Run your numbers and stick to them- note that maintenance costs are still high, so pay careful attention to your numbers.  I think it also has to do with your goals.  Some investors don't care about cash flow; they want a nice asset that, for the most part, pays for itself over time- and some are looking for immediate cash flow.  Immediate cash flow is tough right now when buying on the open market.  Take the emotion out of it, know your numbers, and stick to them!

User Stats

Votes
Jacopo Iasiello
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Apr 30 2024, 09:25

As you mentioned, patience is crucial in navigating a competitive market. Look for opportunities where you can add value through renovations or strategic improvements.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Logan Laperriere
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied Apr 30 2024, 12:25

Grand Rapids is a great market. As others have said, be patient. Finding cash flowing single families is difficult given the interest rates and competition with owner occupants. But that is only one way of making money on rental properties, you still have appreciation, depreciation, mortgage paydown, etc. 

I am glad that you were able to find a couple of fixer uppers that is a great strategy. A lot of home buyers are turned off by properties in need of renovations. The city has been working on implementing lead swab testing for rental properties, that is something to consider when purchasing properties built prior to 1978. 

User Stats

Votes
James Likis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 1 2024, 20:13

@Philip Beckwith how did you find the deals that you moved on last year? MLS or off market? I'm currently scanning the MLS while also trying to connect with wholesalers for some off market opportunities.

User Stats

Votes
Philip Beckwith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Grand Rapids, MI
Replied May 2 2024, 03:10
Quote from @James Likis:

@Philip Beckwith how did you find the deals that you moved on last year? MLS or off market? I'm currently scanning the MLS while also trying to connect with wholesalers for some off market opportunities.

Currently just mls. We probably should explore wholesalers. In my mind those usually take more work to get into a rentable condition, but maybe I'm totally wrong on that.

User Stats

Votes
James Likis
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 2 2024, 05:07

@Philip Beckwith that seems like a fair assumption on average. That lower acquisition cost can, though, payoff over time with the goal being buy and hold as rentals. 

User Stats

Votes
Randy Charboneau
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grandville, MI
Votes |
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Grandville, MI
Replied May 7 2024, 08:46
Quote from @Philip Beckwith:
Quote from @James Likis:

Currently just mls. We probably should explore wholesalers. In my mind those usually take more work to get into a rentable condition, but maybe I'm totally wrong on that.

The Grand Rapids wholesale market is a wild wild west when it comes to property condition and deals.  I'm seeing conditions vary from turnkey/rented to almost tear down.  The spread/margins can be great to nothing.   It really depends.   It seems like everyone wants to get into the wholesale market since it's the new "get rich quick with no money" racket and the better deals seem to be landing in the more experienced outfits hands.

Most of my clients have been looking in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek and Muskegon markets due to the lower price points and better rents/vs/sale price ratios.    I think for Grand Rapids you want to target a property that simply isn't suited for an owner occupant who will need a loan in its condition.  That gets all of those kinds of buyers out of the way and you're simply dealing with other investor competition on it.  This may mean picking up something that needs work or something that has a unique issue that turns homeowners away that you might need to fix at some point, but it's possible to still make money in GR.