Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Wong
Votes |
How is the Yorktown Muncie Indiana for LTR?

Daniel Wong
Posted

Anyone familiar with the West Muncie + Yorktown area? I'm looking at a potential long term rental there. From a cursory view it looks a decent area with a good rent to price ratio. Though I'm not sure how much activity there is out there, and if it'd be easy to find renters.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

@Daniel Wong I lived in Muncie for 5 years during school and drove through all the time. It's a nice town with moderately sized single family homes. Mostly blue-collar working class with not much going on. 

The downtown area has actually improved since my college days. The Mouse Trap is the fun place to grab drinks. People commute for work to Muncie, Anderson, and Indianapolis. The Morrow's Meadow Park and Carl Scott Disc Golf Course is pretty fun. Other than that it's a boring extension of Muncie (small college town). 

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Lingle
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

Definitely a cash flow versus appreciation play. Modest development as @Jaron Walling mentioned. Mostly outshined by greater Indy. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Knight
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis
Replied

I actually have friends that live in Yorktown!  It's very attractive to residents in the area because of the school district.  They revitalized the downtown area and it's overall regarded as a nice area to live.  If you have a kid in school, it's a great option.  This should mean that it has great long term potential and it's growing.  I'd love to pick up more properties in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Scott P.
  • Indiana...mostly
Votes |
  • Indiana...mostly
Replied

In general, Yorktown is regarded as one of the best areas of the Muncie area.

User Stats

Votes
Staci Rogers
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Indiana
Replied

Hi Daniel,

I am happy to connect you with a couple agents I work with in that market. They can provide you with some great insight about investing in that market.

Staci

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Gentile
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Worcester, MA
Replied

I've spent some time in Muncie and Yorktown, previous relationship family lived there. Her father owned a few properties in the Yorktown area and was cash-flowing very well. Mind you, this was 2019-2021 so definitely a different environment for investing but the area is wonderful. Very happy people and not ridiculously priced homes from what I've seen lately.