Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh Sidhu
Votes |
Data showing a potentially weak economy?

Josh Sidhu
Posted

This article presents different datapoints and graphs to consider when thinking about the future of the economy.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/gdi-weakness-paints-picture-of-a-weaker-economy-than-we-think?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%20%7C%2012/07/23

A couple of the reasons I am a bit more bearish on the future of the economy and the housing market. The main points the article highlights are one the difference in the GDP and GDI numbers and secondly the U.S. personal saving rate and how it correlates to home sales.

GDI has fallen dramatically and is showing a larger spread between GDP. In theory GDP and GDI are supposed to be equal to each other, this discrepancy in numbers could potentially mean a couple of things. Companies are increasing their own profit margins while keeping employee wages relatively the same. It also insinuates weaker job creation and lower wages, as companies have smaller and smaller budgets to provide employees. The positive GDP suggest consumer spending is at a healthy level, the problem with this however is with the lower GDI this isn’t sustainable for long.

The low saving rates corroborates with all of this. The U.S. personal savings rate has been reported at 3.92% (Avg of the last 23 months) meaning after taxes and personal spending people are only saving 3.92% of their income. The last time the rate was below 4% was during the financial crisis of 2008. Consumers are having lower and lower savings, I think even with a drop in interest rates we won’t see as big of a flurry for new home buyers as what some people are claiming.

Sources:

https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/?reqid=19&step=2&isuri=1&categories=survey&_gl=1*1ywdb5a*_ga*NDEzMjU5MjUxLjE3MDMzNjE3MjQ.*_ga_J4698JNNFT*MTcwMzM2MTcyMy4xLjEuMTcwMzM2MTk1My40My4wLjA.#eyJhcHBpZCI6MTksInN0ZXBzIjpbMSwyLDNdLCJkYXRhIjpbWyJjYXRlZ29yaWVzIiwiU3VydmV5Il0sWyJOSVBBX1RhYmxlX0xpc3QiLCIzMTYiXV19

https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/?reqid=19&step=3&isuri=1&1921=survey&1903=76&_gl=1*1g241j8*_ga*NDEzMjU5MjUxLjE3MDMzNjE3MjQ.*_ga_J4698JNNFT*MTcwMzU3MTQwNS4zLjAuMTcwMzU3MTQwNS42MC4wLjA.

Loading replies...