Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Greco
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Where to find Market data and analysis

Anthony Greco
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Dec 4 2023, 12:42

Hi all, I am trying to do some market analysis on different locations but am struggling on where to find this information, such as job markets, job growth, population growth, etc. I have tried different searches but can't seem to find a good website to get this information. Any suggestions on which websites/tools to use? Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Wilson
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Dec 4 2023, 13:00

@Anthony Greco

A few links I found after a quick google search:

BLS Reports:
https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pa_pittsburgh_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/summary/blssummary_...

Do you know what you're looking for? Most times open source data analysis is conducted by aggregating info from a variety of sources.

User Stats

Votes
Kobe McDaniel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Replied Dec 15 2023, 15:05

Redfin Data has great stuff fore major cities and areas https://www.redfin.com/news/data-center/

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Edgar U.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miramar, FL
Replied Dec 15 2023, 15:10
Quote from @Kobe McDaniel:

Redfin Data has great stuff fore major cities and areas https://www.redfin.com/news/data-center/

This is the way, or Realtor data > 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 15 2023, 17:43
Quote from @Anthony Greco:

Hi all, I am trying to do some market analysis on different locations but am struggling on where to find this information, such as job markets, job growth, population growth, etc. I have tried different searches but can't seem to find a good website to get this information. Any suggestions on which websites/tools to use? Thank you!

you dont have to follow job market ,etc, that's useless unless you want to buy 1000 unit.
you only need zillow and redfin market insight for small investor.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 16 2023, 19:56
Quote from @Brian Wilson:

@Anthony Greco

A few links I found after a quick google search:

BLS Reports:
https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pa_pittsburgh_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atlantic/summary/blssummary_...

Do you know what you're looking for? Most times open source data analysis is conducted by aggregating info from a variety of sources.

I like the BLS reports for labor data. I am also looking for data on submarkets for commercial real estate trends. I am looking at a property I might want to convert into a smaller office, but I want to analyze the market can support it. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 21 2023, 14:07
Quote from @Anthony Greco:

It really depends on your target property. Are you buying for single family two bed one bath ? or do you plan to buy 1,000 unit apartment ?

many times we tried to complicate everything.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Dec 22 2023, 08:52

@Carlos Ptriawan

yep.  the macro stuff is great if... you're an economist at goldman sachs or something.

you need to know some neighborhoods really well.  there are successful real estate investors... in every state and major city in the US.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 22 2023, 09:02
Quote from @Nicholas L.:

@Carlos Ptriawan

yep.  the macro stuff is great if... you're an economist at goldman sachs or something.

you need to know some neighborhoods really well.  there are successful real estate investors... in every state and major city in the US.

i would say most of what they teach in the book about real estate to check population growth has been wrong, thats the least thing we should worry about , it's all about neighborhood and intricacies on reality financial performance later on between cash flow and appreciation only....

you check pop growth if you want to buy 30 apartment complex, if we want to buy 2/1 i dont care lol

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Greco
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Jan 3 2024, 10:09

Hi all, thanks for all your insights. They have been helpful. Currently, I have only been purchasing smaller investment properties, but this year my goal is to purchase an apartment complex 40+ units and am trying to determine a target market, which ideally would be Pittsburgh. I personally think it is a great market and especially has been for me for smaller properties, but wanted to have some data to help investors feel more comfortable if needed. Thanks again!