Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Market Trends & Data
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joel Matos
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
To Invest in N. Avondale or Not to Invest?

Joel Matos
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

I'm an out of state investor and I'm looking to purchase a property in N. Avondale but I keep getting mixed reviews on the area. I've heard that it is an area that is gentrifying but still has some time before the area is where it would be ideal. Has anyone invested in this area of Cincinnati and what are your thoughts about North Avondale? Is it somewhere you would invest? Is it an area with growth potential? Any thoughts around this topic would be helpful. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Biziorek
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arroyo Grande, CA
Replied

Hey Joel, I'm in California and also invest out of state. I have 12-doors in Detroit.

While I can't comment on N. Avondale exactly, I can give a couple tips.

First, you will get mixed reviews on any area that is a cash flow heavy market. Some of it is warranted, some of it isn't. You really need to do your own research and just do as much as possible to limit your rist.

That brings me to #2...

If you're working out of state like this you NEED to be working with trustworthy folks that truly understand the market. Do you have a property manager lined up? Contractor? If not, I'd take a step back and either make sure you have those folks or a team that already has them in place. Or find a market with a team that you can plug into. 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Cornwell#1 Real Estate Success Stories Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied
Quote from @Joel Matos:

I'm an out of state investor and I'm looking to purchase a property in N. Avondale but I keep getting mixed reviews on the area. I've heard that it is an area that is gentrifying but still has some time before the area is where it would be ideal. Has anyone invested in this area of Cincinnati and what are your thoughts about North Avondale? Is it somewhere you would invest? Is it an area with growth potential? Any thoughts around this topic would be helpful. 

I have sold some property in Avondale, its still a pretty low income area. North avondale has some inventory that is higher value, so that could be helpful depending on your goals and strategy. I personally would not invest there though. Feel free to connect if you have any questions! 
Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Matos
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied
Quote from @Joseph Cornwell:
Quote from @Joel Matos:

I have sold some property in Avondale, its still a pretty low income area. North avondale has some inventory that is higher value, so that could be helpful depending on your goals and strategy. I personally would not invest there though. Feel free to connect if you have any questions! 
Hey Joseph, 

Thanks for the reply? I’m curious to know why you wouldn’t invest there personally? What are the draw backs? Also is it not an area that is gentrifying? DM me if need be but I’m curious to know what your thoughts are! 

User Stats

Votes
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied
Quote from @Joel Matos:
Quote from @Joseph Cornwell:
Quote from @Joel Matos:

Hey Joseph, 

Thanks for the reply? I’m curious to know why you wouldn’t invest there personally? What are the draw backs? Also is it not an area that is gentrifying? DM me if need be but I’m curious to know what your thoughts are! 
I invest in C-B areas typically, I would consider that more C-/D+. It is still higher crime and lower income than several other neighbors on the east side of Hamilton county. Therefore, I am willing to pay a higher price point to be in a better location in my opinion. I have several clients who do very well buying in D areas, but that is their strategy. 

User Stats

Votes
Timur Salikov
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied

Hey!
I own 10 units in the Cincy area and 3 in North Avondale on Lowry Ave. Send me a DM if you wanna chat about the area, I have some thoughts on it. Basically it's not as "hot" as East Walnut Hills. I have a 4 unit in East Walnut Hills and annoying wholesalers call twice weekly about it. Nobody has ever called asking to buy my N Avondale property. So I see opportunity, you can invest and offer way lower amounts as you have almost no competition especially if you are dealing with off market deals. The area is very street by street, with some very pleasant areas. A nicely painted 2 bedroom would go for $1400 as opposed to $1600 in other hot areas of the city. Not a huge difference especially if you get the building for much lower. Also, one of my younger tenants who moved in not too long ago said she wanted to live in the North Side but had to expand her search area to N Avondale because she was priced out. One thing to consider.. Anyway, I wouldn't expect a lot of appreciation but solid cash flow can be found.