Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Curtin
Votes |
Rent to retirement. Good or bad?

Daniel Curtin
Posted

Has any used the Rent to Retirement service advertised on various Bigger Pockets podcasts? If so, what is your feedback? Or, even if you haven't used it, what concerns do some of you more experienced investors have? 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied
Quote from @James Hamling:
Quote from @Cj Powderhorn:

@Daniel Curtin

"...I was under contract with RTR and ended up canceling my contract, but my friend who went UC at the same time did continue...."

"....entire 2 years that my friend was waiting for her new construction to be completed."

2 years to build!?! 

What was the type of unit that it took 2 years to complete the build? Had to be more then ~40 units, right?     I have done 24-plex's that didn't take anywhere near 2 years. Only builds where we were in the hundred's of unit's, community builds, ever came close to that kind of timeline. 

not certain the area but i know RTR was doing business in SW FLA  and I did build in NW FLA took a year or more just for permits.. I suspect thats part of the 2 years here.. As we know there is build time from when permit is issued and build time including the time it takes to get your drawings ready and get building permits.  In my Oregon market takes 60 to 120 days or more once you submitted plans.. Then for us build time once we break ground 5 to 7 months in Oregon as we are doing a lot of semi customs where homeowner is paying top dollar and has selections to make. If its just spec we usually take about 5 months.. production buys bang them out in  3 to 4 months but build quality is apples and oranges my product to theirs. And completely different buyers.

What I saw in FLA for build to rent is more of a  production model of course.

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca A.
Pro Member
  • Bakersfield, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Bakersfield, CA
Replied

I purchased two homes from Rent to Retirement. Both were a nightmare. It was an expensive lesson. Rent to retirement doesn't give you much information about the flip but leads you to believe they managed it and vetted the tenant and PM company. learned a lot and would not use them. I would suggest suggest REI if looking for a properly flipped property with a great PM company in place who does place a tenant in the rental. I worked with both Taz (REI) with one property and Zach (rent to retirement) with two. Zach walked me right into two horrible investments. REI hands down for turn key professionally flipped and managed property from a distance. They truly have your back as a new investor unlike Rent to Retirement

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Not sure about the reply above, they don’t do flip homes. They are a turnkey provider. We purchased  home from them last year and they were phenomenal. Adam and Zach are super accessible to answer any questions you have big or small as it pertains to a purchase and even later with CPA’s etc.