I am a young investor (23) and currently have 4 single family residential rental properties around the Kansas City area. I have been frustrated with multiple things that my current property management company has been doing, and I don't feel like they communicate very well with me. However, I remember the process of onboarding my properties being a nightmare back in 2020 and would rather just keep my current mediocre manager than deal with a whole new nightmare and still risk them being not good.
Has anyone onboarded 4 or more properties with a management company in KC recently? Is it more difficult to switch property managers than it is to onboard without a current PM? Is the process still awful either way? Or is it better now with all of the new technology coming out? I don't trust advertisements, so I'm not necessarily looking for specific company recommendations. I am asking from your perspective, what made the the process of onboarding easier? What parts were nightmarish? What should I know beforehand?
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
1y
I've had 14 SF rentals in 6 different states, using 6 different management companies. Only one was ever difficult. They had gotten too far over their skis and their communication was poor and takeover was problematic. They eventually sold their business to another company and things were fine after that.
All the others were easy.
If you are going to switch, you might want to try that after a resident moves out. It is far cleaner to transfer a vacant unit than a leased one.
Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 263 posts · 327 votes
1y
Having a poor experience with a PMC prepares you with what to ask a new PMC. So that's a silver lining at least.
We are fortunate to take on a lot of doors from local PMCs who drop the ball, and invariably, poor communication is near the top of the list for complaints. My favorite calls are from prospective clients who have been with another company - they know what matters to them and I know a lot about how the relationship will go, based on what they've experienced with another PMC.
Owners shop fees in the beginning, but once you're seasoned, you realize fees are usually about the same, and it's really process, procedure, culture, and communication that you're hiring.
I would suggest making some calls. See who answers the phone. Ask them about their process to onboard.
4 doors is not much. Occupied or vacant, it doesn't matter. A good company will have you fill out some easy online paperwork asking you some details about the doors, and they can get you transitioned into their system in 1-2 days, including reviewing your leases and notifying tenants about the change in management.
You'll need to confirm the exit policy with the current PMC. Do they require 30 days' notice? If so, give that now and start your search. Make sure you are clear of the contract you're in (are there any cancellation fees?) before you spend another PMCs time.
My advice would be to ask very specific questions to identify if your pain points will truly be alleviated. "If X happens, what would you do?" A good PM will be able to quickly draw upon process, procedure and mechanisms in place to handle the "X" in your question.
Holliston, MA · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes
1y
It seems like finding a better Property Manager is the step that needs to happen, and as one myself in MA, you just have to try again. We are out there. Give them 1, when lease is renewed, and see how they do. Then you can transition others as they impress you. Frankly, the property manager should make a move smooth by sending all the files and transferring all the deposits in 1 statement. Not a tough process (unless you stink at your job as a property manager, right?)
Hey Joseph, getting hooked up with a better PM sounds like that is going to be your best solution. The investors I have worked with have found it to be a lot easier with the updated technology and everything going through a massive change post covid/2020.
If i were you I would also post on Facebook and see what the locals are saying about going through the same process that you are going through right now.
Handyman · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 5 votes
1y
We self manage our properties, but we provide maintenance work for others rentals and pretty much all the property managers around here are mediocre. I wish I had better news but this has been my experience in talking with other landlords who do use them or have in the past.
I am a young investor (23) and currently have 4 single family residential rental properties around the Kansas City area. I have been frustrated with multiple things that my current property management company has been doing, and I don't feel like they communicate very well with me. However, I remember the process of onboarding my properties being a nightmare back in 2020 and would rather just keep my current mediocre manager than deal with a whole new nightmare and still risk them being not good.
Has anyone onboarded 4 or more properties with a management company in KC recently? Is it more difficult to switch property managers than it is to onboard without a current PM? Is the process still awful either way? Or is it better now with all of the new technology coming out? I don't trust advertisements, so I'm not necessarily looking for specific company recommendations. I am asking from your perspective, what made the the process of onboarding easier? What parts were nightmarish? What should I know beforehand?
Any insight is helpful. TYIA
- Joseph
Hey @Joe Ferguson, welcome to the BP Forum! Where in KCMO are your SFRs?
Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2024 · 39 posts · 16 votes
1y
Hi Joseph, if you have 4 single-family's, I recommend you ask to see each one of their lease agreements and screening processes. As a PM myself (in California) I take pride in my leasing contract and screening process because that removes so much headache in the future. If it's not written in the contract, professional tenants will always see what they can get away with. And proper screening prevents those people from even renting your place.
Honestly, it sounds like your current PM team has had issues from the start because onboarding four single-family properties should be a smooth and stress-free process when done correctly.
A well-organized property management company should have a clear and efficient onboarding process that doesn’t leave you feeling overwhelmed. It might be worth looking into a new PM team that sets the right tone from the first call and can clearly outline their onboarding process for you.
If you're still hesitant about switching all at once, you could consider a phased transition—transferring properties to the new PM as they become vacant. This allows you to test their communication, leasing strategy, and overall management style before committing fully. Just be sure they have a strong plan in place to market your properties quickly and that you thoroughly vet their tenant screening process to ensure minimal vacancy and high-quality tenants.
Ultimately, finding the right PM should make your life easier, not harder. If your current team isn’t cutting it, switching might be the best long-term move—even if it requires some short-term effort.
Hope this helps, and best of luck with your investments!
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
We have onboarded 10+ units lots of time and even 100 in a day. We never have a nightmare. Sounds like your PM may have been inexperienced and you should seek someone who might understand the process a little better.
Do your research to find a quality PM. This requires some effort and not just relying on a reference from someone or a quick glance at their fees. Once you identify a good PM, talk to them about transferring each rental as they become available. If the process is smooth and they are managing well, continue transferring units until the transition is complete. If they over-promise and under-deliver, transfer the next property to a different PM. Once you land on the right PM, transition everything to them.
As others have stated, four houses is not a big task. A good PM could do that in their sleep. With proactive communication, they will demonstrate they are in control, and you can rest easy.
Start by going to www.narpm.org to search their directory of managers. These are professionals with additional training and a stricter code of ethics. It's no guarantee but it's a good place to start. You can also search Google and read reviews. Try interviewing at least three managers.
1. Ask how many units they manage and how much experience they have. Feel free to inquire about their staff qualifications if it's a larger organization.
2. Review their management agreement. Make sure it explicitly explains the process for termination if you are unhappy with their services, especially if they violate the terms of your agreement.
3. Understand the fees involved and calculate the total cost for an entire year of management so you can compare the different managers. It may sound nice to pay a 6% management fee but the extra fees can add up to be more than the other company that charges 10% with no additional fees. Fees should be clearly stated in writing, easy to understand, and justifiable. Common fees will include a set-up fee, a leasing fee for each turnover or a lease renewal fee, marking up maintenance, retaining late fees, and more. If you ask the manager to justify a fee and he starts hemming and hawing, move on or require them to remove the fee. Don't be afraid to negotiate, particularly if you have a lot of rentals.
4. Review their lease agreement and addenda. Consider all the things that could go wrong and see if the lease addresses them: unauthorized pets or tenants, early termination, security deposit, lease violations, late rent, eviction, lawn maintenance, parking, etc.
5. Don't just read the lease! Ask the manager to explain their process for dealing with maintenance, late rent, evictions, turnover, etc. If they are professional, they can explain this quickly and easily. If they are VERY professional, they will have their processes in writing as verification that policies are enforced equally and fairly by their entire staff.
6. Ask to speak with some of their current owners and current/former tenants. You can also check their reviews online at Google, Facebook, or Yelp. Just remember: most negative reviews are written by problematic tenants. A tenant complaining online might indicate that the property manager handled them appropriately, so be sure to ask the manager for their side of the story.
7. Look at their marketing strategy. Are they doing everything possible to expose properties to the broadest possible market? Are their listings detailed with good-quality photos? Can they prove how long it takes to rent a vacant property?
This isn't inclusive but should give you a good start. If you have specific questions about property management, I'll be happy to help!
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
1y
Wow 23 with 4 doors, well done Joseph!
Not sure why the process for 'onboarding' was so difficult...shouldn't be an issue to switch. I wouldnt be scared of it.
Your properties are in Lee's Summit? If yes, LS is an easier market to manage and no restrictions with placing tenants...ever considered self mgmt? I own 3 SFR in Columbia MO (I live in KCMO) and was using property mgmt, but due to similar difficulties you faced, I opted to self manage and stopped using my mgmt company. I have found it to be a much better arrangement.
Reach out and I am happy to discuss further with you