Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Lisa Oliver
Votes |
Best advice for finding plumbers, handymen

Lisa Oliver
Posted Jul 26 2024, 05:00

I a new investor  who self-manages my property and need some advice.

Currently, when there are plumbing issues, I have a plumbing company come to the house and I have to meet them there. It’s not close to my house and it’s clearly not the best way to do things. 

Couple of questions:

1. How do I manage this without having to go to the house in situations where the tenant may not be home? 

2. What is the best way to find plumbers and handymen who work for themselves and would run over to deal with things, and perhaps have a key that they can use to get in if the tenant is not there?

thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Schemmel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jul 26 2024, 05:07

@Lisa Oliver I put electronic deadbolts on my unit doors.  This allows entry without a key, and allows me to change the lock as needed if I don't want someone in there.

As an agent, I provide contacts to my clients who will do these things, and occasionally I will do favors for past clients who need someone to open the door or quickly supervise an appointment; of course not all agents will do this or for free.  You could start with your agent or a local agent who supports investors and could have contacts to refer to you.

Lastly, you could consider negotiating with a local PM to take on a hybrid approach to management.  I have some clients who prefer to have a PM for maintenance/contact/rent collection/general management and will place tenants and write leases for themselves in exchange for a reduced rate.  Most PMs, especially the well established ones, will not always flex for specific clients like this but it could be an option.

hope this helps.

User Stats

Votes
Allan C.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Replied Jul 26 2024, 19:49

@Lisa Oliver I wouldn’t give keys to trades men under any condition. You can put a clause in your lease that requires tenants to meet tradesmen. You can also connect with a realtor that is willing to handle this and future leases for you.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 27 2024, 05:49
Quote from @Lisa Oliver:

1. Your tenants should have this responsibility. When work needs to be done, we require the tenant to provide access. We are in a safe community, so tenants can choose to leave the door unlocked or hide a key under the mat. It's their responsibility, and it's their choice.

2. Another option is to put an electronic deadbolt on the front door with a non-locking door knob. This eliminates the need for a key and it prevents a tenant from ever locking themselves out. Here's an example: https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/JDE265SUTFFFSTR.htm...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Tracy Minick
Property Manager
  • Monroe, wa
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Monroe, wa
Replied Jul 28 2024, 10:04

Tenant providing access is ideal. If not try a keyless entry situation that allows you add a temp code that will expire after the work is completed.

User Stats

Votes
Dale K Poyser
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Aug 2 2024, 14:40

Typically it would be the tenants responsibility to provide access. The handyman would reach out to the tenant to coordinate availability, then coordinate with you on the issue and fixes needed.

The Smart locks are a game changer. You can lock/unlock the door remotely. You can program individual access codes to work only during a certain time frame. This works well if it's an MTR or STR type situation and you are in control of the lock. If it's long term and you have control of the lock then you can do the same.