Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ted Davis
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Rent collection software

Ted Davis
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 10 2024, 05:47

Hi all,

My wife and I are about to convert our primary into a rental. Any recommendations on software or systems to use for one rental? 

As always we appreciate your feedback 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 10 2024, 14:16

Hey Ted, 

I use Hemlane for managing my properties . I know there is other software out there that can be utilized as well but after research, I landed in Hemlane. 

For one property, a spread sheet to track income and expenses would suffice to hold all info for your tax professional at the end of the year. 

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 10 2024, 23:54

@Ted Davis Total overkill for one property to have software. I use things like Venmo, CashApp and Meta Pay(facebook) to collect the payments from my tenants who want to use electronic banking. I’ve got 25 units and this works just fine.

I received a lot of pushback from my tenants not wanting to trust some random App Platform they had never heard of when I attempted to convert to software. They preferred a platform that was widely known to them.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2024, 05:36
Quote from @Ted Davis:

Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. You only need a place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, etc. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet, and it will take less time to track than finding and learning new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it. Go to Etsy and search for "rental property tracker," and you will find hundreds of nice spreadsheets to track 10-20 rentals, usually for under $10.
  2. Software has extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button, and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. Do you need all this for a couple of rentals?
  3. There is no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws, or you may salivate over a feature that appears in other software.

Some familiar names are mentioned frequently: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

I recommend conducting thorough research on each app online to understand their offerings, pricing, etc. Create a simple spreadsheet or written list to compare the features of each and identify the ones that align with your requirements. Try to narrow down your options to the top 3-4. Once you have a shortlist, sign up for an account with each one and test them extensively to see how they function. Perform the same task in each app to ensure a fair comparison.

• Load a property with pictures and details.
  • Market that property.
  • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
  • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
  • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
  • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, and attach a fake invoice.
  • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
  • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
  • Sign documents electronically.
  • Run owner reports.

After testing a few apps, one should clearly stand out. It's important to choose that one and commit to using it. Remember, no system is perfect, so avoid the temptation of constantly chasing after the next shiny object. You should only consider switching when your current software has a significant flaw or lacks features that force you to spend excessive time on workarounds. At that point, it's worth researching and finding a solution that better meets your needs.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ted Davis
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:01

Thank you Nathan. Very informative. 

User Stats

Votes
Ted Davis
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:02

Thank you Chris. 

User Stats

Votes
Ted Davis
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 11 2024, 06:02

Thank you Alecia!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 12 2024, 07:27

I use Innago. It's free for landlords/PM and have found it seamless. 

User Stats

Votes
Gustavo Delgado
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 7 2024, 22:23

I use go4rent.com. They tenant pays $1.95 processing fee, you get your rent sent to your bank account around 5 business days from payment

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 8 2024, 05:03
Quote from @Ted Davis:

Hi all,

My wife and I are about to convert our primary into a rental. Any recommendations on software or systems to use for one rental? 

As always we appreciate your feedback 

Software is a common question on BiggerPockets. Here are some things to consider:

1. Most investors don't need software until they have 5-10 rentals. You only need a place to track tenant information, payment history, maintenance, etc. You can easily do this on a spreadsheet, and it will take less time to track than finding and learning new software. If the software is not simplifying your life or making you more accurate, you shouldn't use it. Go to Etsy and search for "rental property tracker," and you will find hundreds of nice spreadsheets to track 10-20 rentals, usually for under $10.
  2. Software has extremely helpful features like online payments, marketing syndication (click a button, and your property is advertised on multiple sites), electronic document review/signing, maintenance tracking, and owner reports. Do you need all this for a couple of rentals?
  3. There is no perfect software out there. Every system you try will have flaws, or you may salivate over a feature that appears in other software.

Some familiar names are mentioned frequently: Stessa, Apartments.com, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Innago, RentManager, Avail, Rentec Direct, Doorloop, etc.

I recommend conducting thorough research on each app online to understand their offerings, pricing, etc. Create a simple spreadsheet or written list to compare the features of each and identify the ones that align with your requirements. Try to narrow down your options to the top 3-4. Once you have a shortlist, sign up for an account with each one and test them extensively to see how they function. Perform the same task in each app to ensure a fair comparison.

• Load a property with pictures and details.
  • Market that property.
  • See what your marketing looks like from the public's perspective.
  • Submit a fake application to see how easy the process is.
  • Run a credit/screening report on yourself.
  • Enter a maintenance request, assign a vendor, and attach a fake invoice.
  • Enter charges to the tenant's ledger.
  • Enter recurring charges and automatic late fees.
  • Sign documents electronically.
  • Run owner reports.

After testing a few apps, one should clearly stand out. It's important to choose that one and commit to using it. Remember, no system is perfect, so avoid the temptation of constantly chasing after the next shiny object. You should only consider switching when your current software has a significant flaw or lacks features that force you to spend excessive time on workarounds. At that point, it's worth researching and finding a solution that better meets your needs.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Aug 8 2024, 09:16

Overall, I always recommend appfolio for rent collection/pm software. It's super user friendly for both tenants and staff!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Aug 9 2024, 02:59

@Ted Davis

Small landlords can use property management software like Avail, RentRedi, Stessa, SmartMove, Zillow Rental Manager, Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, Google Forms/Sheets, Thumbtack, DocuSign, HelloSign, QuickBooks, Mint, and Google Voice to manage rental properties, manage rent, and track income, expenses, and budgets. Communication with tenants can be done through Google Voice or WhatsApp, and Proper Insurance covers both property and liability.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 10 2024, 04:34

@Ted Davis keep it simple!

Whatever you do, NEVER pick up rent. 

Sets a bad precedent.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Follow a few simple steps to view a practice deal.
Step 1 | Find a market
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
See Practice Deals