Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paige Seeley
Votes |
First rental property guidance!

Paige Seeley
Posted

I'm closing on my first investment property this week! Since this is all new to me, I'm looking for some advice and I had some questions about self-managing the property. 

1. Would you recommend periodic check-ins at the property to assess for upkeep and potential maintenance issues? if so, how often if the tenant has a year lease?

2. Best way to handle maintenance requests from tenants

3. Since I'm only at 1 property right now, bookkeeping should be fairly simple. But any recommendations on a system? 

4. Best way for collecting rent, security deposit, etc. with 1 property. I was thinking of offering Zelle, Venmo, cashier's checks as options- I want to try the inevitable situation of having a personal check bounce.

5. what platform would be recommended for a lease generator? I know bigger pockets offers their own but wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with using those documents and if it's worth the money?

6. I thought about offering a credit towards the utilities and having the tenant cover whatever the remaining monthly utility bill would be as an incentive to hopefully rent this property faster, any thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks everyone! 

Loading replies...