Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Interviewing Property managers. Please share your recommendations

Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Posted Jun 25 2024, 20:19

Looking for recommendations on great property managers for small multi unit 1-2 in the Charleston,SC. 

Thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jun 27 2024, 09:55

@Francisca Mac

My question to you would be “are you sure you want to do that?”  PM services often come at a pretty hefty price as to your net profit.  It looks like you live close to your rental… I would say, “why not manage it yourself?”

We managed 20 rentals while working full time corporate jobs.  Most issues are solved with a phone call… plumber, AC issues, etc.  Filling the property is easier than you would think.  We use a cloud based program(rentecdirect.com) that automates many tasks including collecting rent, screening tenants , broadcasting our vacancy listings, accounting, etc).  There are dozens of those types of programs out there.  You will be surprised how easy it is!  Why give away your profits to someone who will not care about it as much as you will!

All the best!

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Replied Jun 27 2024, 10:35

I did consider it but wasn’t sure if I wanted to deal with it. I will totally look into that website you suggested. Thanks. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ayelet Wiedermann
Property Manager
  • Passaic, NJ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Passaic, NJ
Replied Jun 27 2024, 11:46

@Francisca Mac, take a look at NARPM.org, Property Managers that are members of NARPM generally have higher standards of professionalism and ethics.

Best of luck!

Ayelet

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Replied Jun 27 2024, 12:05

Thanks. I think we have decided to self manage as @Randall Alan suggested. After looking into the software it looks like it will be ok especially since we only have 4 doors right now and are local. 

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Replied Jun 27 2024, 20:14

@Randall Alan We have decided to manage with Rentec. 

Thanks so much. 

Fran...

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jun 27 2024, 22:48
Quote from @Francisca Mac:

Thanks so much. 

Fran...

@Francisca Mac

There are many ways you can adjust all the settings… but the short “as it comes setup out of the box” answer is that there is no charge to a tenant to make a payment using a routing number and account number to post a payment.

If the tenant opts use a credit / debit  card, there is a convenience fee charged for the use of the card.  The landlord can decide on what percentage is charged the tenant … but the charge from rentec direct is about 2.95%.  So the landlord could charge (say) 3.5% and choose to make money on accepting cards… but rentec direct’s charge 2.95%.  

You are allowed control over who pays what costs through control panels within the program… so you can control who pays the fee to screen a tenant and how much you charge for that service as well.  

One cool thing is that while ACH transactions take about 4 days to fully settle, rentec direct’s payment processor gives you next day credit for those funds.  Should a payment later bounce, they debut the amount back from your account,  

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jun 27 2024, 23:05

Thanks so much. 

Fran...

I think you will find once you get over the initial “doing something for the first time” jitters that managing your own properties is pretty easy overall.

If I had to guess, I would say maybe we have 1-2 contacts with a tenant in a given year… on average… meaning for 4 tenants… you might have 8-10 interactions in a year for a ballpark “amount of effort it takes”.  Usually when something quits working.  Sometimes you will have “frequent flyers” who like to bring up every little thing and seem to have more issues… but they are more the exception.   

I would also suggest to you that you search up your state’s landlord “rules” where they spell out your responsibilities.  In Florida this is about 3 pages in the state code.  You can literally google “your state” and “landlord statutes” and it should take you right to it.  It’s good to familiarize yourself with your state’s legal obligations.

All the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Replied Jun 28 2024, 06:57

Thank you so much for all the advice!  I had actually already done that but now that we have decided to actually run it ourselves I’ll read over it again. Any other suggestions or advice is very appreciated and feel free to message me directly. Thank you again for helping me to make the decision. 

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Jun 28 2024, 07:01

Hey Francisca, I have a great PM. Sending you a dm!

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jun 28 2024, 07:32

Thank you so much for all the advice!  I had actually already done that but now that we have decided to actually run it ourselves I’ll read over it again. Any other suggestions or advice is very appreciated and feel free to message me directly. Thank you again for helping me to make the decision. 

@Francisca Mac
You will inevitably run into Tenants who cannot pay for some reason or another, as “life happens” in real time.  You want to develop a plan for how to handle that in advance.

In our book, payment history & longevity play a “first factor” in how we respond.  So if “they are never late” and they are late, we will tend to roll with them to try to help them out if the reasoning makes sense. We may waive the late fee to try to help them etc.  

If they are “always late” we'll let the late fees stick to compensate us for having to put up with their inability to manage their finances.

But at the end of the day you need “outer boundaries” that you stick to.  There is a slippery slope syndrome that can occur.  Maybe they lose job and they tried to pay but couldn’t pay everything this month, so they are behind by say $500, but the next month it continues and now they are behind by $1,000.  Two things need to happen… one, get caught up, and two, get back on track with the upcoming rent as well.  It’s hard to do for paycheck to paycheck people.  

You have choices though… from being the butthole landlord who tolerates no being behind… files eviction at the first drop of the hat, to the softy that gets exploited.  We have ended up being the latter a couple of times in 7 years because we started off trying to be helpful, but have put policies in place to avoid it:

Our rule of thumb is that you can’t be behind by more than your security deposit.  Obviously the security deposit is meant for a different purpose (towards damages and repairs)… but it acts as a goal post for us.  

Once you are behind, we require forward progress towards catching up - which looks like this;

Let’s say you are behind $750.  We will advise the tenant that in the coming month we need rent paid on time and within the month we need 1/2 of the back rent paid as well.  If it has slipped too much, we may make it 1/3 of the back rent paid. And if this is not accomplished and they exceed their security deposit we will advise them we will have to file for eviction.  

The secret is that you can’t continue to let it slip further and further behind.  Where we have gotten busted in this is that they set a payment, then 4 days late it bounced, so they say, “Oh, so sorry I’ll set a new payment” and then that one bounces too.  That is the slippery slope to watch out for. 

So develop your policy, whatever it is up front, and stick to it.  We try to be flexible, but firm, because no one really likes a butthole landlord.  

All the best! 

Randy  

User Stats

Votes
Francisca Mac
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston
Replied Jun 28 2024, 12:56

Thanks!! Will definitely be firm but fair.

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA | California
Votes |
Sean O'Keefe#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA | California
Replied Jun 28 2024, 13:29

@Francisca Mac we get a lot of great feedback from our customers on the property managers they work with. Happy to provide a unbiased recommendation on PM in Charleston,SC.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.