Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Is my management company committing fraud

Jason Stoner
Posted Jun 21 2024, 09:20

I think the property management company that manages my property is up to no good. Over a couple hours of googling I have found several fake addresses, fake LLCs, shell companies, several lawyers tied to several addresses. I have now found several properties that is ran by the main property company then branches off into 3 smaller company LLCs. All of the properties have the same reviews and same issues as my current property. What should I do? 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#2 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jun 21 2024, 10:45

@Jason Stoner

what does your agreement say

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • VP Data & Analytics at BiggerPockets
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Replied Jun 21 2024, 10:47

How do you know the LLCs and addresses are fake? Do they actually not exist, or are they just different from the ones on your agreement? 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 21 2024, 10:53

They wont give me a new agreement, I haven't had one in 5 years. My apt is ****ed up so I'm assuming that's why they wont. I found 9 different llcs all titled to the same person with address to suits that are being rented by social workers all the way to a staples in California. I finally found the actually company and owner out of Georgia. I know that my neighbor tried to have them served and they have fake mailing addresses for legal letters. A process servicer is the one who got me interested in what ever is going on here. I know fox Detroit and Lansing has interviewed different tenants about situations (like no heat, or mice, or city showing up condemning the properties). 

@Dave Meyer

User Stats

Votes
Dave Meyer
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Amsterdam, NL
Replied Jun 21 2024, 11:05

Time to find a new PM company. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 21 2024, 11:12

Its who I rent from :D From what I've read it is a federal offense to lie like that on forms. One office was rented under their Blight Attorney's Name but he's never been to the property. It's being rented by a social worker in Royal Oak

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jun 21 2024, 12:23

So, move!

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jun 21 2024, 12:30

I have 4 LLCs, and have multiple other previous LLCs. I dont see how someone owning multiple LLCs would be indicative of fraud.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 21 2024, 12:30

I don't want to move, I want them to follow the rules. 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 21 2024, 12:32

@Russell Brazil It's not the multiple LLCs, its the fake addresses. I'm going through reviews at different properties they own and no one can send legal letters to any of their offices. One address is a staples in California. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jun 21 2024, 12:37
Quote from @Jason Stoner:

@Russell Brazil It's not the multiple LLCs, its the fake addresses. I'm going through reviews at different properties they own and no one can send legal letters to any of their offices. One address is a staples in California. 

You know Staples owns Ipostal right? They are essentially an alternative service to having a PO Box at the Post Office. UPS has them too. I think Fedex might too. 

Do all the fake addresses line up to Staples, Fedex, USPS and UPS? If they do, its just PO Boxes.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 21 2024, 12:53

No, they're a couple suits in Detroit and traverse city that do not exist. I started looking into this because my neighbor had to hire a process server to find how to serve the Management Company. He had to go through 2 fake address. I know right now they are also in Blight court for a couple of they're properties. I also know that my apt complex is in a Turkish Fund for an investor. 

The process server came back with the real name of the company and the other named used was just a shell company. After that I started googling  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 22 2024, 05:14

Here's the problem. You claim they are bad landlords, but you insist on staying. You want to keep paying cheap rent but get an A-class rental in exchange. Sorry, but if you want cheap rent you can expect cheap services.

If you're serious about investigating or filing charges, hire an attorney.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2024, 07:50

I'm not seeing the problem? Are you afraid that you're rent money is being stolen? Who collects the rent?

If you don't like the apartment or the management, why not just move. Would you keep going to a restaurant that messes up your order every time. I would just stop going there instead trying to track down the owners and analyzing their corporate structure.  

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 22 2024, 09:59

It sounds like rents are so far below market there’s never any vacancies? Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll sell to a new buyer that will jack the rents up to market rates and supply new agreements. It definitely sounds like a property that would get lots of buyers. Care to share the address of the building? Someone on BP might solve both your problems (wanting more attention.) and the landlord’s problems. (Someone who’s “saving money” by not paying a PM to keep rents on track…)

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Market Trends & Data Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jun 22 2024, 10:16

No, they're a couple suits in Detroit and traverse city that do not exist. I started looking into this because my neighbor had to hire a process server to find how to serve the Management Company. He had to go through 2 fake address. I know right now they are also in Blight court for a couple of they're properties. I also know that my apt complex is in a Turkish Fund for an investor. 

The process server came back with the real name of the company and the other named used was just a shell company. After that I started googling  

How do you pay rent?  Is there a place to send a check indicated in the lease?  If there is, I guarantee that is a real address.  

by the way there is nothing illegal about making you hard to find.  It is one of the purposes of LLCs.  

cheap rent equates to less maintenance.  This should not be crossing into the below legal standards.  Do you have heat, water, stove/oven that work, a safe unit?   Note paint, flooring, etc in most markets do not have minimum standards above safe.  

if you want to live in a better maintained complex it will likely require paying higher rent.  This is because keeping a property nice has associated costs.  So you can obtain cheapest rent in lower maintained properties or pay more rent for better maintained properties.   Your choice, but it is not reasonable to expect to pay lowest rent and living in above minimum maintained properties.  

by the way I choose to maintain my properties in good shape, but my rents are not at bottom of market rate.  They are closer to top of market rent.  

good luck

User Stats

Votes
Jason Stoner
Votes |
Replied Jun 22 2024, 10:54

I believe there are 6 condemned apartments in the complex that are unlivable. Everything is on faulty wiring and they are in Blight Court with my city. They will not give me an address to send a check. I have to pay a service fee and will only pay online (That started about a year ago) Ans part of the parking lot caved in

User Stats

Votes
Peter W.
Votes |

I know in my state, we have to accept cash payments. If you need a place to serve see if the state laws allow you to pay cash. With that said I find this whole thread confusing.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Dispensa
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 22 2024, 14:36

Jason,

I'm a broker and property manager here in Tampa. The unfortunate situation that many of my clients have faced prior to coming to me is that their smaller property manager was bought out by a larger corporation, and consequently their services were diminished. 

Regarding your maintenance issues with your units, as your agent your property manager is responsible for reporting all issues to you and following your directions regarding repairs. If they are not showing you the obedience that you are owed with them as your agent, they are in breach of contract whether written or implied. 

Another issue I've seen, which you should look into, is MANY property managers operating without being properly licensed by the state. Here in Florida, only a Licensed Real Estate Broker may serve as a property manager. Licensed Agents working for the Broker may also serve as property managers if the broker allows. You should definitely look into your PM's licensing and take up complaints with the appropriate state agency.

Lastly, I'm not sure why you would want to stick with a property manager that you are having this much difficulty with. Your life will always be much easier when you work with the right people.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 22 2024, 16:43
Quote from @Stephen Dispensa:

Jason,

I'm a broker and property manager here in Tampa. The unfortunate situation that many of my clients have faced prior to coming to me is that their smaller property manager was bought out by a larger corporation, and consequently their services were diminished. 

Regarding your maintenance issues with your units, as your agent your property manager is responsible for reporting all issues to you and following your directions regarding repairs. If they are not showing you the obedience that you are owed with them as your agent, they are in breach of contract whether written or implied. 

Another issue I've seen, which you should look into, is MANY property managers operating without being properly licensed by the state. Here in Florida, only a Licensed Real Estate Broker may serve as a property manager. Licensed Agents working for the Broker may also serve as property managers if the broker allows. You should definitely look into your PM's licensing and take up complaints with the appropriate state agency.

Lastly, I'm not sure why you would want to stick with a property manager that you are having this much difficulty with. Your life will always be much easier when you work with the right people.

As I read this, he is a tenant trying to reach the property manager.  

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jun 22 2024, 16:43

I think the property management company that manages my property is up to no good. Over a couple hours of googling I have found several fake addresses, fake LLCs, shell companies, several lawyers tied to several addresses. I have now found several properties that is ran by the main property company then branches off into 3 smaller company LLCs. All of the properties have the same reviews and same issues as my current property. What should I do? 

If you wanna know my first take after reading your post here goes.

You asked the question (is your Property Management company up to no good?)

Several thoughts came to mind. 

How is it fraud for them to have more than one company?  

Why would you be accusing them of fraud over something just because you don’t understand the structure they chose to use?

If you don’t like or trust  you’re Property Management company move on to a different one.

Why can’t the property management company structure there business the way they want?

What's your experience in LLC and asset protection?

User Stats

Votes
Joe S.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio
Replied Jun 22 2024, 16:51

I believe there are 6 condemned apartments in the complex that are unlivable. Everything is on faulty wiring and they are in Blight Court with my city. They will not give me an address to send a check. I have to pay a service fee and will only pay online (That started about a year ago) Ans part of the parking lot caved in

So (you believe) there are six condemned departments in the complex???

If it’s so bad, instead of playing detective or code officer, why not move?

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jun 22 2024, 20:58
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Here's the problem. You claim they are bad landlords, but you insist on staying. You want to keep paying cheap rent but get an A-class rental in exchange. Sorry, but if you want cheap rent you can expect cheap services.

If you're serious about investigating or filing charges, hire an attorney.

He's a stoner, what do you expect?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes