Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amie Garcia
Votes |
suspect PM is charging exorbitant fees for services and goods

Amie Garcia
Posted

My PM is charging exorbitant fees for cleaning, products for the unit and bookings have moved to other properties. Red flags all over!  I’m ending our business agreement but have not been compensated for charges for services and goods not provided. Such as deep clean, nonexistent items charged for and inflated prices for stocking. 
any chance I can get my money back?

Moving on to hosting myself!  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Amie Garcia:

Start by writing the PM a letter detailing your suspicions. Demand evidence to back up the charges or threaten to file a lawsuit or a complaint with the state.

If they don't respond to your satisfaction, file a complaint with the state licensing commission. That will usually motivate a bad PM to settle with you and make the complaint go away before the state starts to investigate.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied

Ouch! @Nathan Gesner

Sounds like a lot of work for a few hundred dollars and a suspicion... LOL! You forgot to add choke them until they pass out! LOL

Maybe start with a phone call asking for an explanation. Honestly, my time is worth way more than a few hundred dollars but I would absolutely confront them about the problem. There could be very legitimate explanations. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

Ouch! @Nathan Gesner

Sounds like a lot of work for a few hundred dollars and a suspicion... LOL! You forgot to add choke them until they pass out! LOL

It is, but OP doesn't explain how much money she's talking about here. I would just walk away for a few hundred dollars. $1,000 or more and I would try to threaten them with a lawsuit or report them to the commission and try to negotiate getting something back. I wouldn't involve an attorney unless it's $10,000+

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo