Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Tenant stayed past their 30 day notice.

Sylvia H.
Posted

If a tenant gives you a 30 day notice and is supposed to be out on the 30th but doesn't actually leave until the 4th, are they obligated to pay the month that they stayed in? This came up in small claims court and the magistrate said if you're there on the 1st you owe for the month. The magistrate didn't even want to hear any testimony.  Anyone else experience this?

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied

It depends on the lease.  Our lease says that it is a holdover at 3X the rental rate (daily rate) to make it like a hotel. Many places have in the lease to charge the whole month.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Sylvia H.:

If a tenant gives you a 30 day notice and is supposed to be out on the 30th but doesn't actually leave until the 4th, are they obligated to pay the month that they stayed in? This came up in small claims court and the magistrate said if you're there on the 1st you owe for the month. The magistrate didn't even want to hear any testimony.  Anyone else experience this?

I'm with Sam. Get a "holdover" clause in your lease that states the tenant will be charged a prorated amount for every day they hold the property. Mine is 3x the monthly rent, prorated daily. So a $1,500 rental would be $150 per day.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied

Unless you'd arranged to stay a few extra days, then staying those 4 days potentially eliminates the landlord from renting it for the entire month.  Add a holdover clause as the others suggested.

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Abeyta
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

In my state there has been a huge push in the courts to actual damages instead of punitive damages. What this means is that actual damages would be the 4 days extra they stayed in the property. Punitive damages would be the extra month of rent and this would be shot down in court. 

I agree with everyone that the holdover rate is very important to motivate tenants to move out on time. This is an actual damage that you could collect from the tenant. Most of the time you would have vendors scheduled to turn the property and now you have to reschedule them and this pushes back the ready date of the property.

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Replied

Thank you to all. I agree with that. I know in Connecticut it is the law that if on a month to month they stay past the 1st they owe for the month. Was just curious to how others handled this. All of you gave great advice. 

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Sylvia H.:

I'm with Sam. Get a "holdover" clause in your lease that states the tenant will be charged a prorated amount for every day they hold the property. Mine is 3x the monthly rent, prorated daily. So a $1,500 rental would be $150 per day.

That is a great idea. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Sylvia H.
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Samuel Eddinger:

It depends on the lease.  Our lease says that it is a holdover at 3X the rental rate (daily rate) to make it like a hotel. Many places have in the lease to charge the whole month.

That's a great idea. I will definitely update my lease. Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Sylvia H.:

This is a great idea, are "holdover" clause different per state or city?

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Abeyta
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied

I would check your local legislation to see if holdover rates are capped. So far in Colorado they have not been capped. The rate can vary from company to company but the goal is to have a high rate so it motivates the tenant to move out when they are supposed to.

We currently have our holdover rate at 10% of the monthly rent per day. So a $1000 per month property will have a holdover rate of $100 per day.