Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Meghan Purkis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brevard County, FL
Votes |
How and where to open an escrow account- GA Landlord

Meghan Purkis
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brevard County, FL
Posted

Ill be helping my father-in-law manage a property he has near Hinesville GA.

Since I'll be charging a fee for helping him, from what I can tell he needs to put the security deposit in an escrow account.

I've seen A LOT of mixed answers. Claims that its just a checking account and noted escrow and so many other conflicting instructions.

Has anyone dealt with this? What bank, type of account, and does he open it in his name(he won't be starting a business for this single property).
Appreciate any and all feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carini Rochester
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied

Go to the bank where he does his checking. Open a savings account in the his name. Deposit the security deposit in the savings account. Don't use the savings account for anything else.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Meghan Purkis:

You need two accounts: checking and savings. If the properties are split into more than one LLC, then each LLC will need its own accounts.

Checking: collect all income here, then use it to pay bills. Pay the mortgage. Pay for maintenance. If you are setting aside funds for capex, taxes, insurance, or other expenses that don't occur monthly, transfer those funds to Savings each month and hold them there until it's time to spend them. You will receive the security deposit in Checking but then transfer it to Savings.

Savings: Hold the deposit here so it's separate from operating funds. You can also hold money for maintenance, capex, taxes, insurance, or other projected expenses. When a tenant moves out, transfer the deposit back to Checking so it's ready to apply towards expenses or to refund to the Tenant.

If you end up with excess funds in the Checking account, I recommend you transfer it to a third account that is specifically designated for future investments. That ensures you don't spend it on other things and that you know exactly how much you have available to spend on the next purchase. If it's mixed in with your deposits and reserve funds, you may accidentally spend money you shouldn't have.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes