Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Chirico
Votes |
how to grow a management business

Michael Chirico
Posted

hey, looking for some advice/steps for a new management company to take/implement to grow the number of doors under management.

Right now I self manage my portfolio in Westchester County, 10 doors active (a 5 unit with an illegal apt and a 4 family), 4 in contract (3 family with an attic apt), and 12 doors going through renovations (2- 4 fams that I'm adding a 3rd floor and 2 addition units to each). I would like to offer property management to others. I am a licensed salesperson and can manage under my broker. How would you recommend marketing? I'm looking to manage with a flat rate % depending on the number of doors and handle repairs and renovations by charging a GC 15% fee on repairs/construction.  Use the systems of how I self manage with my team of subs to handle repairs/issues, turnover, and if wanted renovations.

Thanks in advance for your input

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Michael Chirico:

hey, looking for some advice/steps for a new management company to take/implement to grow the number of doors under management.

Many REALTORS and brokerages will not touch property management with a 10' pole. Create some marketing material to demonstrate what services you provide. Contact Brokers in your market and ask them if you could do a 15-minute presentation during a training meeting to talk about your company (5 minutes) and answer questions (10 minutes). Offer a referral fee to any agent that refers someone to you for management (payable after Owner signs a one-year agreement and Tenant is placed). I offer a referral fee ($200 per house or $50 per unit for more than four units) and if the Owner decides to sell within 24 months, I pay the referring agent a referral fee (whatever your standard is for sales).

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied

@Michael Chirico

Did you check your state laws about property management?

Michigan, for example, requires a PMC to have its OWN specific brokerage license. So, you can't just work under another broker.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Eddinger
  • Meriden, CT
Votes |
  • Meriden, CT
Replied

@Michael Chirico - Join NARPM.  There is tons of resources there for new people and we love to share.