Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Managing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brad Jacobson
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Votes |
Home Warranties for Rentals - Love or Hate?

Brad Jacobson
  • Realtor
  • Ogden, UT
Posted

Hi Fellow BP Fans,

For those of you familiar with home warranties, what are your opinions on having a HW on each rental property annually?  Here in Utah they cost between $400-600/yr and, when not trying to wiggle their way out of service requests, do cover a lot of items that tend to fail much more quickly in rentals than in personal residences.

Thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I don't like them. Many property managers will not manage a property with a home warranty. Those companies are often slow to respond, use the cheapest vendor possible, and don't cover what you think they will cover. I'm in a small town with only a few appliance techs. Only one of them will accept these jobs and he is paid about 60% of what he would normally charge, so every warranty call is a loser for him and gets shuffled to the bottom of his list. He only keeps the gig because it earns him referrals for other work that pays a fair wage.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Logan McKay Zylstra
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Personally speaking, I am not a fan. I think most of the time people forget that they even have a home warranty in the first place. In addition, your tenants will need the furnace, water heater, or whatever is broken fixed in a timely manner. Which in my experience home warranties aren't capable of doing.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Dale Desmond
  • Property Manager
  • St. George, UT
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • St. George, UT
Replied

On a new home, the builder includes a warranty. Most things go wrong on a home/appliances in the first year and then after year 7 or 8. So from year 2-7ish...I'd say you could get away without a warranty.  

User Stats

Votes
Dale Desmond
  • Property Manager
  • St. George, UT
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • St. George, UT
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

I don't like them. Many property managers will not manage a property with a home warranty. Those companies are often slow to respond, use the cheapest vendor possible, and don't cover what you think they will cover. I'm in a small town with only a few appliance techs. Only one of them will accept these jobs and he is paid about 60% of what he would normally charge, so every warranty call is a loser for him and gets shuffled to the bottom of his list. He only keeps the gig because it earns him referrals for other work that pays a fair wage.

That's crazy that a property manager won't manage with a warranty! We leave it open to the owner to opt in to get their own. It's up to the owner to check what's covered. 

User Stats

Votes
Karla Simmons
  • Vacaville, CA
Votes |
  • Vacaville, CA
Replied

@Brad Jacobson

I don’t like them for rentals. As others have said, repairs are not made on a timely basis and the HW company usually tries to wiggle out of covering expensive items such as air conditioning.

User Stats

Votes
Duane Richards
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Replied

@Brad Jacobson I just had my first experience with a home warranty, and it's on a STR in Florida we purchased back in August. My PM is great, but it's really hard for him to coordinate repairs (we've had two calls on a refrigerator) and times with guest stays. The HWA (Home Warranties of America) warranty covers a lot, but I pay $100 each time I want a technician out. Once paid for, the repair labor, part, etc. are all billed to HWA, so that is nice. However, we only get to work with their preferred vendors, and the current one we are dealing with out there is OK, but very difficult to communicate with.

The example here - our large french-door refrigerator keeps tripping the breaker, so the guests have to go flip it back on or their food spoils. The strange thing is, it doesn't trip all the time, so the repairman said it needed a new compressor. They replaced it once, but the breaker kept tripping. I had a larger breaker installed (it seemed small to me to run a large appliance like that), but that didn't help either. Calling HWA, I wanted them to pay for a replacement fridge, but they needed a written explanation from the service provider. The service provider said they repaired the appliance and all is good, even though I told them the breaker is still tripping.

Well, to make sure our guests still have good food to come home to, we bought a new fridge (I can't get HWA to pay for it), and we are still trying to fix the old one, now out in the garage. But following a second $100 call (two separate incidents according to them), they are replacing the compressor again, which I am guessing won't solve the problem. Either way, I'm glad I haven't had to pay for the parts or the repair, but you can see the difficulty here. Ours is an unusual scenario, and I keep hoping the A/C unit will go out before our warranty expires so I can get a cheap replacement :).

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Jocelyn Kaufman
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Utah
Replied

I got a home warranty on my first two rentals and then never used them once. I don't get them anymore but I have heard a lot of people using them to their advantage. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied

Please click on the magnifying glass in the upper right. This it truly asked monthly if not weekly. 

These warranties will PROBABLY cover repairs where your $75-125 deductible within a week or two. But when your tenant doesn’t have ac or heat or hot water for a couple weeks while they wait for approval and then shipping on a part that should mean the end of the device. But it’s cheaper and the warranty company makes the call. This of course is compared to you fixing/replacing the problem within hours. Instead your property is uninhabitable and you have to put them up somewhere else. 

Just don’t. 

User Stats

Votes
Terrell Garren
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, NC
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, NC
Replied

+1 Hate

User Stats

Votes
Duane Richards
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cedar Hills, UT
Replied

@Bill B. makes some good points - if I were warranty-ing my own purchase, I could likely live for a few days without A/C etc. while the warranty takes care of business. But with renters, particularly STR (they're only in the home for 3 - 14 days, and a warranty claim will likely never be resolved in that time window), you have to act quickly.